Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Youtube Finds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, she's actually one of my heroes. Spent a lot of money getting her LP's. And they were worth every cent and more.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

A blues folksinger born in Durham, England, Ruth Copeland first came to attention after marrying Jeffrey Bowen, a staff producer at Motown. When Bowen followed songwriters Holland-Dozier-Holland over to their own Invictus label in 1970, Copeland was one of his first signings as she joined the fledgling vocal group New Play to become the label's first white performer.

Collaborating with Edith Wayne and future P-Funk producer Ron Dunbar, Copeland wrote "Music Box," New Play's debut single, and the second ever Invictus release. However, the group broke up soon after its release and Copeland began planning for a solo career. She also struck up an unlikely partnership with George Clinton and became a massively influential force on Parliament's debut album, 1971's Osmium. Not only did she co-produce the sessions, she also wrote what remain two of the most bizarre (and decidedly unfunky) songs in that band's entire repertoire, the haunting "Little Old Country Boy" and "The Silent Boatman." Two further songs, "Come In Out of the Rain" (co-written with Clinton) and "Breakdown" (with Clinton and Clyde Wilson) appeared as Parliament singles in 1971 and 1972.

Copeland's partnership with Clinton naturally flowed into her solo career. Viewed today as a virtual twin of Osmium, her Self Portrait debut featured contributions from Eddie Hazel, Lucius Ross, Bernie Worrell, Billy "Bass" Nelson, Tiki Fulwood, and Clinton himself, while the co-writes included a new version of the epic "The Silent Boatman.

Late 1971 brought the release of Copeland's second album, I Am What I Am, recorded with many of the same musicians as its predecessor, only now they were her own band. In an odd twist, Hazell, Worrell, Fulwood, and Nelson had all quit Parliament/Funkadelic, but remained together to back Copeland, first in the studio and then on tour as she promoted the album. The tour was a success; the shows were solid and the audiences receptive. Unfortunately, Copeland quickly found herself in an uncomfortable position. Touring as support to Sly Stone, she took to introducing her band as Funkadelic -- much to the headliner's annoyance. The last straw came when she allowed the band to take one of her encores. Stone insisted she either leave the tour or lose the band. She lost the band.

Following her solo success in 1971 and 1972, Copeland faded from the spotlight. She would re-emerge briefly in 1976 with her third album, Take Me to Baltimore, but it did little and she once more retreated into shadow. ~ Amy Hanson, All Music Guide
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The greatest film scene of all time, bar absolutely none:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcE_mthmEZI
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbv71-dytk
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbv71-dytk

That's great too, but I still gotta vote for Dolls.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Lou Barlow - "Round 'n' Round"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2GucoX2nWk
Andy B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
The greatest film scene of all time, bar absolutely none:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcE_mthmEZI

Yeah, great scene indeed. Gotta see me that film. Trying to build my collection. I got Vixens a few weeks ago. Bloomin eck - Erica Gavin, what bountiful babe of buxom beauty!

Anyway here is a Neutral Milk Hotel clip (not related at all to the above, but what the heck it's still a great clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vBw5LMZBc

And one of A Hawk & A Hacksaw (Jeremy Barnes post Neutral Milk Hotel band). Watch out for head percussion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MruybKkZLXM
halleluwah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:

Anyway here is a Neutral Milk Hotel clip (not related at all to the above, but what the heck it's still a great clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vBw5LMZBc

And one of A Hawk & A Hacksaw (Jeremy Barnes post Neutral Milk Hotel band). Watch out for head percussion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MruybKkZLXM
Thanks for those clips, man. Barnes was the unsung hero on Aeroplane, in my humble opinion. There weren't that many really rocking sections on the album, but when his drums came in, you damn well KNEW it. Amazing clip of "Ghost" there; I'd never seen that one.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
Andy B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I know. I wish to the heavens that i had been able to see them play live. Changed my life totally. Yeah Barnes was a real star on the drums. He is a percussion maniac. Have you heard much of A Hawk And A Hacksaw? Well recommended although for different reasons for liking Neutral Milk Hotel.

There's quite a few clips of Jeff Mangum singing solo, but not many of the whole band playing. To my ears the songs are just so much more better when the full array of instrumentation is employed. Though Jeff on his own is a totally moving experience. But here is another clip of the band, in a slightly more chaotic mess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohVpbe0ZKQ
halleluwah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:
I know. I wish to the heavens that i had been able to see them play live. Changed my life totally. Yeah Barnes was a real star on the drums. He is a percussion maniac. Have you heard much of A Hawk And A Hacksaw? Well recommended although for different reasons for liking Neutral Milk Hotel.

There's quite a few clips of Jeff Mangum singing solo, but not many of the whole band playing. To my ears the songs are just so much more better when the full array of instrumentation is employed. Though Jeff on his own is a totally moving experience. But here is another clip of the band, in a slightly more chaotic mess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohVpbe0ZKQ
Generally I think that Jeff made the right choices for which songs to arrange for the band, and which to leave solo. I can't imagine that a full-band treatment would have served "Oh Comely" or "Two Headed Boy pt. 2" any better, for instance. But then, that "Song Against Sex" clip shows how much the Avery Island songs improved live when played by the later NMH band. From the clips, their live shows do seem like they would have been amazing, chaotic, moving experiences. Pity I was totally unaware of who that band was when they were still together, and I probably wouldn't have cared, either, since I was such a complete classic rock snob at that age. I'd probably put them on a shortlist of my top 5 most missed concert experiences.

Haven't heard anything from Barnes's post-NMH band aside from a couple of songs on a comp that (I think) Joe uploaded last year, but they sound fairly interesting. I keep intending to check out all of those Elephant 6 satellite bands, especially the ones with the most direct Neutral Milk Hotel connections (all of those bands are at least semi-related, I guess), but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Mainly it's Mangum's songwriting, singing, and overall aesthetic that draws me to NMH; of the few E6 bands I've heard more of, I liked them, but haven't heard anything that moves me on the same type of level.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
The Nothing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Watching Song Against Sex as I type - bloody difficult, I gotta say - and now this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfhUvuSa61E&NR=1

and am , like you guys, so pissed off I never saw em live.
Saw (and supported) Jeff three times, once solo in Athens, then with Laura Carter in Auckland NZ - his last full solo gig - and finally over two nights in NY when he cameo-ed with Olivia Tremor Control. He is a genius. He is. And a very sweet human being who I love like a somewhat estranged brother.
And seeing him with those OST guys (and J Barnes who was doing his - utterly amazing - Hawk and Hacksaw thing on the same bill) was as close to an NMH experience as I am ever likely to get...
Thanks for the postings, great to be reminded that there's much more to this forum than mere sunshine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: