Local Gentry
Music Discussion
whats the best way to "archive" music?

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earcandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: whats the best way to "archive" music? If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was recently looking for some music that I had archived on some CDR's, and quickly realized that I need some sort of system to archive/list them. Other than an Excel spreadsheet...is there any other cool system to archive my music that I have on disc?

I especially want to hear how Ian does it - with his obviously large library of tunes!
Chance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You can get software geared specifically for cataloging music collections, but I've never used them or heard much about them in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised it there was freeware out there for that.

Excel sounds like the easiest way to go, but you could do alot more with Access. I've dipped my toes in Access a bit, but haven't begun trying to put together a music database. That's ultimately what I'd like to do with my collection...

I've heard tales of Ian's aural kingdom. They say he ambushes and enslaves Bon Jovi fans, whom he brands on the ass with the Sun records logo. Some of them are forced to organize and retrieve his music in huge, underground warehouses, others are forced to rip and upload it to the net. Then there are are the Download Stockades, where "scavangers" are strapped before terminals, with Ian's want lists spread across their lap, forced to roam messageboards, blogs and bit torrent sites in search of musical prey. There's a furnace room where shirtless, sweating wretches burn CD-Rs 'round the clock, to be collected and distributed to those in the trading pens. Many of these people work 18 hours a day and live on stale breadcrusts and the cheesy broth of melted Sting discs. It's an impressive empire my friends, but at what cost? At what cost??
"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard tales of Ian's aural kingdom. They say he ambushes and enslaves Bon Jovi fans, whom he brands on the ass with the Sun records logo. Some of them are forced to organize and retrieve his music in huge, underground warehouses, others are forced to rip and upload it to the net. Then there are are the Download Stockades, where "scavangers" are strapped before terminals, with Ian's want lists spread across their lap, forced to roam messageboards, blogs and bit torrent sites in search of musical prey. There's a furnace room where shirtless, sweating wretches burn CD-Rs 'round the clock, to be collected and distributed to those in the trading pens. Many of these people work 18 hours a day and live on stale breadcrusts and the cheesy broth of melted Sting discs. It's an impressive empire my friends, but at what cost? At what cost??

Laughing Laughing What can I say? You're the man.

Actually my stuff is all a jumbled heap, and whatever catches my eye is what gets played next.
you gotta be kidding me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I label my DVD back-ups (1, 2, 3, etc.) and simply keep a word doc with all the artists/albums followed by the disc# in parenthesis, and after each new back-up is made, I add to the list and just resort alphabetically by artist/title.

It's tedious, but simple and it works. I'm sure there are fancier ways of doing it, but I'm computer illiterate.
earcandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

[quote="IanWagner"]
Quote:

OMG! That description just BEGS for a photoshop parody!!!!

IAN'S MUSICAL SWEATSHOP! (A new series coming to FOX this fall!)

Evenreven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

you gotta be kidding me wrote:
I label my DVD back-ups (1, 2, 3, etc.) and simply keep a word doc with all the artists/albums followed by the disc# in parenthesis, and after each new back-up is made, I add to the list and just resort alphabetically by artist/title.

It's tedious, but simple and it works. I'm sure there are fancier ways of doing it, but I'm computer illiterate.

I do this too. Or at least I used to do it, before I got too lazy even for this method. Maybe an update is in order.
Pibroch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Evenreven wrote:
you gotta be kidding me wrote:

I do this too. Or at least I used to do it, before I got too lazy even for this method. Maybe an update is in order.

The local public classical station does this too, they have around 7,000 discs that all have numbers, and they correspond to a database (in Microsoft Access, which is VERY clunky the way they have it set up) that is searchable by composer, piece, and disc number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: