Local Gentry
Music Discussion
What is right and wrong about New Romantic music?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Topic Tags 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: What is right and wrong about New Romantic music? If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

For example, ABC Lexicon of Love - right or wrong?

also, Spandau Ballet - wrong in everyway. damn that chorus of "True" is good, but what a ghastly song and lead vocal. A real time capsule though.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I bought ABC's Lexicon of Love at the time of its release - firstly because the music scene was so dire back then I actually started to believe the hype the likes of Paul Morley was saying about said group in the NME at the time (I was only about 20 years old). Secondly because I saw it very cheap in a second hand shop, even though it hadn't been released long (which should have told me something!) The New Romantic era was awful. And the sight and sound of Duran Duran performing at Diana-aid and Live Earth during two weekends recently hasn't dissuaded me from that view one iota.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

ah, come on--that's a bit harsh, dontcha think?

Whole genre's usually don't suck (unless they're invented by non-musicians--eg. cross-over country/rap)
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

People are free to disagree with me, of course. I'm just telling you how I felt about it and still do. I just didn't know what happened at the time - there was punk which was fantastic and then this...just a load of white pseudo soul boy poseurs. Until the advent of The Smiths rock had become almost a dirty word. I even remember a term called 'rockism' at the time, like there had been (in UK) 'Rock Against Racism'.. so now there was 'rockism' as if 'rock' was some terrible thing. And by rock I don't mean necessarily heavy metal (which was just despised anyway by the music critics - mind you, I never liked it much myself!) What a horrible decade the 1980s were, and I had the misfortune to be 18 in 1980.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I can dig what you're saying.

My boss hated Abba and the Carpenters at the time in the 70s because to him they represented everything that Patti Smith wasn't. In hindsight though, who cares about the political climates of the time if the music was good.

I hated oh so much of my generations music.
analogdemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That's a good point. Seriously, if the song moves you in some way, that's all that matters in the end.
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is right and wrong about New Romantic music? If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Summ-a-Briz' wrote:
damn that chorus of "True" is good, but what a ghastly song and lead vocal. A real time capsule though.

I like it.
"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I like you're avatar Joe.
Damn.

It's a classic tune, don't get me wrong. But sometimes I hear it and just feel dirty, like I'm wearing penny loafers.
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I admit the strength of the tune is really in the chorus, and those falsetto "huh-huh-huh-huuuuuuuh" bg vox really get to me. I think they're really, fucking lovely.

And the constipated sounding lead singer guy, end of the chorus "TRUUUEEEHH!" - that gets to me too.

Thankyou for liking Flange, she's beautiful.
"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

the chorus is great. Really, really great.
But man, that "I bought a ticket to the world" business is daft!
Joel5000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I love "True", and the follow-up "Gold".

Also, Duran Duran are amazing. To me, the first two albums stand up really well. Nick Rhodes really created some great textures, and John Taylor was a great bass player. Cool videos, too.
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

New Romantic, to me was a move towards a more pure pop direction. Which was fine with me. Did'nt last nearly long enough. All those Adam and the Ants records have some teriffic stuff on them, and of course Culture Club.

I liked Duran Duran, although to me "Rio" is their high point , and they never really topped it.
Becky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

RIGHT: Duran Duran (most of)
WRONG: the hair.
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Matinee Idyll (129) wrote:

And the constipated sounding lead singer guy, end of the chorus "TRUUUEEEHH!" - that gets to me too.

That part always just makes me think of Steve Buscemi in the Wedding Singer.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The lead guitar in that song is so, um, DONT WORRY BABY? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: