Local Gentry
Music Discussion
What are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Topic Tags 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Ah, pron. I thought maybe it was issues with the re-imagining of the literary classics or something--silly me! It's the usual I guess--let's see, man removing woman's internal organs=OK, and we'll make a movie of it while we're at it. Adolescent desire, pearl necklace=the slammer for you!

Competition is king, baby. Can't show people loving someone if you're supposed to climb over them up the ladder to success.

Quote:
I like the subject of the power of adolescence, sexual awakenings and other realities--Dorothy getting her panties all in a twist(er) and all that. Promethea deals with some of the same magic/sex/awareness issues--have you read that? And what's the Black Dossier--a project with Campbell?

Yes, there were some really beautiful sequences in there. Every time you think the story might get a little stuffy from Alice droning on they go into some inspiring, Technicolor sex scene. I liked the Oscar Wilde bit, too.

The Black Dossier is a history of all the Leagues of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I starts with Fairie Queen-era characters and ends with James Bond, I believe. Something like that. If you go to Amazon you can see the cover, which has some of these characters. I wonder if he'll try to include Harry Potter.

Quote:
I think I'm enjoying Gebbie's art more than Campbell's--and it's not Moore's thumbnails dictating this, it's her color. Superb.

I like Campbell more, but they're both great. Part of that is because of my fascination with From Hell. It's so dense, but so accessible, and manages to make a sensational topic become academic, without being laughable. And Campbell's art perfectly suits it.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Just started Crash by J.G. Ballard and Tearing Down the Wall of Sound, which has already become a favorite.
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've finally gotten around to The Lost Beach Boy. It's funny; i've heard David tell these stories, but it's somehow different to read them on the page. A light quick read so far; i'm enjoying it.

And i've got Hawking working there, too.

And both need to be done - or set aside - by the time Harry Potter shows up on Saturday!
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
The Black Dossier is a history of all the Leagues of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I starts with Fairie Queen-era characters and ends with James Bond, I believe. Something like that. If you go to Amazon you can see the cover, which has some of these characters. I wonder if he'll try to include Harry Potter.

Man almighty that does look good. And it's with Kevin O'Neil so it will look fantastic. I love the first two compendiums.

Ballard is great, last thing I read of his was a short called Sands of Mars or something and it was beautiful and light, like a Mint Julep. The Spector book looks like a gut buster--so little time and so many books.

Just finished To Your Scattered Bodies Go. Got in my little hot hands Dragon Waiting by John M Ford (through ILL) and will be tackling some Jules Verne and Tales of Genji soon.

Hey Susan--did you get to Twain's Mysterious Stranger? And if you did, did ya like it? I loved it.
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Just finished Slaughterhouse 5, it was wonderful... my mind is revamping as I type.

About to start on "Les Grande Meaulnes" - any good D?
"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
koeeoaddi there

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

im reading a book that my dad gave me about how the pyramids at giza are big power plants rather than tombs.
i'm yet to be convinced!
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Hey Susan--did you get to Twain's Mysterious Stranger? And if you did, did ya like it? I loved it.

Haven't gotten to that one yet. It's on my list...which i may never finish, because somehow i add things faster than i can cross them off. But i just LOVED Pudd'n'head Wilson...pointed yet funny. Twisted, even. Ol' Mark Twain was one complex man, that's for sure.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Ballard is great, last thing I read of his was a short called Sands of Mars or something and it was beautiful and light, like a Mint Julep. The Spector book looks like a gut buster--so little time and so many books.

I have to be honest, I'm underwhelmed. Crash would make a great short story, but is kind of a boring, repetitive novel. I get the point - you're turning Marxist fetishizing into auto-sex. Brilliant idea, but it's boring reading the same fucking descriptions about nipples and dashboards. The dialog and characters suck.

Quote:
But i just LOVED Pudd'n'head Wilson...pointed yet funny. Twisted, even. Ol' Mark Twain was one complex man, that's for sure.

That is a great novel! I read it a few months ago. I can't believe how many people I met in college who thought Twain was a joke.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Matinee Idyll (129) wrote:
Just finished Slaughterhouse 5, it was wonderful... my mind is revamping as I type.

About to start on "Les Grande Meaulnes" - any good D?

Dont wait a second more, go for it, in French I hope. Smile
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Susan wrote:
I've finally gotten around to The Lost Beach Boy. It's funny; i've heard David tell these stories, but it's somehow different to read them on the page. A light quick read so far; i'm enjoying it.

Fantastic book, this is strangely how I rediscovered Brian Wilson, by reading about Dennis in this book. Now the question is, why was I reading aout Dennis at that stage, wwhen I had not listened to the BEach Boys in about 15 years (and this was in 2000). I thought it was well written, not sure about how accurate it is, but essential reading for a BB fan.
The Grand Fromage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Last edited by The Grand Fromage on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Susan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
Susan wrote:

Fantastic book, this is strangely how I rediscovered Brian Wilson, by reading about Dennis in this book. Now the question is, why was I reading aout Dennis at that stage, wwhen I had not listened to the BEach Boys in about 15 years (and this was in 2000). I thought it was well written, not sure about how accurate it is, but essential reading for a BB fan.

I'm talking about the David Marks book - The Lost Beach Boy, not the Dennis book, which is The Real Beach Boy. Both are by Jon Stebbins. I read TRBB years ago, and have since gotten to know Jon and David...but just now got around to reading TLBB, which was released here in May. It's a beautifully done book; i recommend it to everybody! And as i happened, i read it in one night - i wasn't sleepy, and the book itself - the story - kept me reading!
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chris D. wrote:

I have to be honest, I'm underwhelmed. Crash would make a great short story, but is kind of a boring, repetitive novel. I get the point - you're turning Marxist fetishizing into auto-sex. Brilliant idea, but it's boring reading the same fucking descriptions about nipples and dashboards. The dialog and characters suck.

Please be honest--otherwise we're just fooling ourselves! You could be right anyway, I've heard he's uneven and I'm just basing it on one short story that I can't even remember the title of (Sands is a Clarke novel). It was about Mars though, and I did like it but it was sparse with the dialog.

Still working through Ford's bk and a manga called Death Note, and checked out Rules Of Attraction (Ellis, not read anything by him) & Thread Of Grace (Russell, love her). Put Verne and Genji on the backburner for now.

Quote:
But i just LOVED Pudd'n'head Wilson...pointed yet funny. Twisted, even. Ol' Mark Twain was one complex man, that's for sure.

Quote:
That is a great novel! I read it a few months ago. I can't believe how many people I met in college who thought Twain was a joke.

Twain is the best, an incredibly human and versatile writer. Talk about some master dialog, there you go.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
checked out Rules Of Attraction (Ellis, not read anything by him)

Do you like it? I read Less Than Zero and American Psycho. Less Than Zero was pretty bad, but showed potential. It was obviously a first novel. There are things I like more about the movie of AP, but the book was still pretty tremendous.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Very informative, entertaining book, with a lot of behind-the-scenes illustrations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: