Local Gentry
Music Discussion
THE WHO Rare Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
What is the thing about the original CD of Odds N Sods that makes it interesting rather than the newer version (which was fine as far as I could see - loads more tracks etc...) that makes it of interest?
The remaster is s one of the more terrible examples of noise reduction. The intro to Naked Eye is so drowned in NR that it's hard to recognize the intrument. The original might have a lot of hiss, but it sounds at least like real music. The additional tracks would have been fantastic if there weren't so many errors (wrong speed of Young Man Blues, no lead guitar in Under My Thumb, and again some extreme noise redution on the acetate-sourced songs).

Last edited by Andreas on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
IanWagner wrote:
Original mixes, as opposed to the monstrosities on the new version. To me, that new Odds was the worst of the whole lot for revisonism that improved nothing, had tons of inaccuracies in the credits etc. Don't even get me started on changing the running order.

But it DID have a whole bunch of stuff that was unreleased or rare, nearly doubling the running time.

The running order bothered me to start with but with the extra tracks it made sense. I haven't listened to it much since I bought it though so I had never really noticed anything wrong with the mixes. I'm not entirely sure I even played the ones from the original album more than once if that, so I'll take your word for it!

And some of the stuff that was listed was in the wrong mix, specifically yet another opportunity to release the correct single version of Mary Anne! Thank god for Who's Missing.
alan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
Odd And Sods Original CD version
Who's Missing
Two's Missing
Sings My Generation (Mono)
A Quick One 1996 remix
Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
Alternate Rarities
Magic Bus

Mostly not rare but whatever.

Dave - what on earth is that version of Odds n SOds?

I thought that was the original LP version? This is a totally different animal - it only has four songs from the album?
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oh man, something totally screwy there. It's the right songs, wrong tags!

I'm gonna have to re rip it.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
You have successfully uploaded 4 files to sendspace.com
File 1:
File Name: German 1966.rar
File Size: 93 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1sdhp1

File 2:
File Name: Live Filmore East 4-6-1968.rar
File Size: 76 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ifp6m0

File 3:
File Name: Filmore East 10-22-69.rar
File Size: 45 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/njrzsr

File 4:
File Name: Filmore East 6-19-69 Two Discs.rar
File Size: 119 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ikft7q

A few re posts of things Ian has posted in the past.

Corrected Odds and Sods on the way.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Awesome. I was trying to figure out what I had already posted!
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

And mono Sell out, a couple of times, but the most recent FLAC post wasn't that long ago. I've got mp3s from 2yrs back, but I was so new at this I relabeled them all and poorly.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

corrected Odds and Sods

DL this one, not the earlier one.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Great timing with this thread! I've been going through a major Who phase and just sort of re-discovering what I loved about them in the first place.

I'm afraid I don't have anything to offer in terms of rarities that hasn't already been uploaded, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this CD:

I'm also very interested in tracking down the original 1970 version of "I Don't Even Know Myself" which apparently has only been issued on a bonus disc that came with the Japanese version of Who's Better, Who's Best.
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
I'm also very interested in tracking down the original 1970 version of "I Don't Even Know Myself" which apparently has only been issued on a bonus disc that came with the Japanese version of Who's Better, Who's Best.
There is only one studio version recorded by The Who, and it has been issued a couple of times on CD:
Who's Missing
Rarities Vol. 1 & 2
Who's Next (1995 remaster, a bonus track)

There is also a demo by Pete.

Last edited by Andreas on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The Isle Of Wight version is my favourite take.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
There is only one studio version recorded by The Who, and it has been issued a couple of times:
Who's Missing
Rarities Vol. 1 & 2
Who's Next (1995 remaster, a bonus track)

There is also a demo by Pete.

Hmmm, well I know you are our resident Who authority Andreas, but what do you make of this comment re: "I Don't Even Know Myself" posted over at thewho.net:

Quote:
The Who did record this song for their proposed 1970 EP. That version has had only one commercial release, on a bonus disc released in Japan only of the 2004 best-of collection Then and Now! 1964-2004.

Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
Hmmm, well I know you are our resident Who authority Andreas, but what do you make of this comment re: "I Don't Even Know Myself" posted over at thewho.net:

Quote:
The Who did record this song for their proposed 1970 EP. That version has had only one commercial release, on a bonus disc released in Japan only of the 2004 best-of collection Then and Now! 1964-2004.

Interesting! I guess you are right; I was not aware of this alternate version or its history. So is this an earlier, different recording? I have never heard it.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:

Interesting! I guess you are right; I was not aware of this alternate version or its history. So is this an earlier, different recording? I have never heard it.

Apparently! I'd love to get a chance to hear it someday. I'm currently putting together a CD for my own amusement that contains the Who's for Tennis-era outtakes along with the 1970 proposed EP tracks, and that early version of "I Don't Even Know Myself" is what I want to close the CD with.

The other tracks I'm missing that I'd like to include are a couple of Pete demos: "Gone Fishin'" and "Politician".
alan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
Andreas wrote:

Apparently! I'd love to get a chance to hear it someday. I'm currently putting together a CD for my own amusement that contains the Who's for Tennis-era outtakes along with the 1970 proposed EP tracks, and that early version of "I Don't Even Know Myself" is what I want to close the CD with.

The other tracks I'm missing that I'd like to include are a couple of Pete demos: "Gone Fishin'" and "Politician".

I think this should put you on the right track... http://thewholinks.blogspot.com/2007/06/pete-townsend-genuine-scoop-5-cds.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: