Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The 'Post a great song' thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: The 'Post a great song' thread If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

There's so much music going around here that i almost worry about adding to everyone's loads. But sod it - use this thread to post just one song (per post) that's doing it for you at the moment. It can be a million seller or an obscurity that maybe only you've heard. It's just gotta be pressing your buttons at this particular moment.

Mine is Fever by Essence from 1972. I found it on a cd i bought recently called Eccentric Soul: The Big Mack Label. This was an all female group put together by Detroit label owner Ed McCoy. Beyond that, the liner notes don't say much. This is dreamy, deep and sexy. It's a cover of the classic song previously sung by Elvis and Peggy Lee amongst others. Unrecognisable apart from the lyrics really, this is epic Soul.

Dim the lights and get sucked in:

Essence - Fever

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0o7fei
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Moog I tried to download the file last night and failed for some reason. Trying again now Smile
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Got it now.

OOOOO, sexeeeee and deep.
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oh gosh yeah... "C'mere girl... just lay your head on my shoulder."

Completely arousing. Really nice interpretation, where other tend to stop and start, this one really gets on the groove... thanks Moog!!

I'll post something no one will like tommorow...
"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Matinee Idyll (129) wrote:

I'll post something no one will like tommorow...

Always look on the bright siiide of life
doo doo Wink
hope chest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

love the tune, moog. it makes it that much easier to get my mack on. many thanks.

here's a tune, albeit in a totally different vein, from one of my all-time favorite bands - the railway children "a pleasure".

http://www.yousendit.com/download/OGhmUWVuQzM1bmcwTVE9PQ

guitar pop, to be sure. highly underrated and unsung as far as i'm concerned. the 2nd album (which this is from) "recurrence", is the piece de resistance and where a bit of the maturity kicks in. the sound just shimmers on every tune, the guitars are layers of gossamer that keep a strict melodic sensibility, and the vocals are strong and confident. hope you enjoy.
Pat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

This one's been killing me for about a week, I thought it was by the Spinners but turns out it's by some group called Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose. I'm sure you've all heard it at some point in your life, it was a bit of a radio hit in the 70s. This tune makes me feel real, real good, it's called "Too late to turn back now":

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ha8ec
misterfusty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

This is The Gift That Keeps Giving from the upcoming new album by Super Furry Animals, a better summery pop song you will not find this year ...and the ending is georgeous.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ir5ej4
hope chest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Pat wrote:
This one's been killing me for about a week, I thought it was by the Spinners but turns out it's by some group called Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose. I'm sure you've all heard it at some point in your life, it was a bit of a radio hit in the 70s. This tune makes me feel real, real good, it's called "Too late to turn back now":

i listen to this song at least 3 times a week - LOVE it. i love the "and i'm tellin' ya..." lyric delivery right before the chorus.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Great great choices. Thanks guys. I'll try to post something soon.
Leo K

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hope chest wrote:
Pat wrote:

i listen to this song at least 3 times a week - LOVE it. i love the "and i'm tellin' ya..." lyric delivery right before the chorus.

Nice to hear this again...thanks!!!

http://georgannename.blogspot.com/
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, this is "Farewell Aunty Jack", the theme song for the cult 70's Australian comedy "The Aunty Jack Show". Grahame Bond and Rory O'Donoghue wrote all the music, and the songs really kick ass.

Aunty Jack was played by Grahame, a 300 pound woman with a moustache who was a former heavyweight boxer (I'll rip ya bloody arms off!), and whose golden glove gave her magical powers. A very surreal sketch show, and my recent avatars (Flange) have been from the program - it's truly wonderful.

They released the main theme as Australias first picture disc, and In March 1974, it got to the top of the Australian singles chart... too cool.

1. (3) FAREWELL AUNTY JACK Grahame Bond
2. (2) MY COO CA CHOO Alvin Stardust
3. (1) SORROW David Bowie
4. (6) THE LORD'S PRAYER Sister Janet Mead
5. (5) I LOVE YOU LOVE ME LOVE Gary Glitter
• 6. (17) HEARTBEAT, IT'S A LOVEBEAT De Franco Family
7. (7) GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD Elton John
8. (4) 48 CRASH Suzi Quatro
• 9. (16) LEAVE ME ALONE Helen Reddy
10. (10) BALLROOM BLITZ Sweet

I can't explain why I find this song strangely moving - is it the simple, perfect melody? The wonderful performance by Rory and Grahame, or the fact that Aunty Jack had a heart attack and died in the final episode. Sad

At any rate,

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?8dlytbmcfx2

"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
hope chest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, this is "Farewell Aunty Jack", the theme song for the cult 70's Australian comedy "The Aunty Jack Show". Grahame Bond and Rory O'Donoghue wrote all the music, and the songs really kick ass.

OH MY GOD. i fucking LOVE this. i'd KILL to hear a version of this without the "comedy" overdubs - it would be the "fading yellow" track that never got comped.
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

HELLO ME LITTLE LOVELIES!!!

Laughing

It's so beautiful - d'ye honestly like it hope? That's wonderful - I thought I was nuts!

Here's the music video from the 2nd series... It makes me wanna freakin' cry Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnEOr1MgwTM
hope chest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

HELLO ME LITTLE LOVELIES!!!

Laughing

It's so beautiful - d'ye honestly like it hope? That's wonderful - I thought I was nuts!

you ARE nuts joe. but it's still amazing. really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: