Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Office UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: The Office UK If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Best TV show. Ever.
luther

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
alan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

It's one of those shows that repays repeated viewings as well. like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder it never gets any less funny (even though it is funny in a totally different way).

Painful viewing, but so close to the truth!
dead parrot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

It seems like it's becoming increasingly more fashionable on certain boards to prefer the US version over the original UK version. Now the US version is great, but the UK version a so much better, and worth sitting all the way through, just for that moment when David Brent finally tells Finchy to "F**k Off".
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

dead parrot wrote:
It seems like it's becoming increasingly more fashionable on certain boards to prefer the US version over the original UK version. Now the US version is great, but the UK version a so much better, and worth sitting all the way through, just for that moment when David Brent finally tells Finchy to "F**k Off".

Exactly. It's so moving to me when his blind date says to the camera "He's funny!". For me, that is the real climax of the show.
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
dead parrot wrote:

Exactly. It's so moving to me when his blind date says to the camera "He's funny!". For me, that is the real climax of the show.

The blind date episode, along with the Christmas special, is one of the most well-written episodes of the whole lot. The fact that it managed to turn the corner from sitcom to drama is impressive. Much like 'The Royale Family' did.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I thought the first series was completely hilarious - as funny as anything in the history of British TV comedy. The second series, though still worth watching, seemed a bit more forced to me, as though there wasn't all that much mileage left in the idea.
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
I thought the first series was completely hilarious - as funny as anything in the history of British TV comedy. The second series, though still worth watching, seemed a bit more forced to me, as though there wasn't all that much mileage left in the idea.

I don't think the eventual point of the show was to be completely funny. I love the second series more than the first, PLENTY of mileage left, it just gets going there.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Office UK If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Best TV show. Ever.

I beg to differ.

Best TV ever was The Sopranos. Laughing
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Rob wrote:

I don't think the eventual point of the show was to be completely funny. I love the second series more than the first, PLENTY of mileage left, it just gets going there.

On the contrary, I thought that in the second series the David Brent character becomes much more of a 'funny character' in the more traditional sitcom sense. The situations and his behaviour seem more contrived for effect - the presentation he does with the aid of a ghetto blaster springs particularly to mind. He acts like a 'funny man' which I don't think he is in the first series - he's just an amiable prat who he thinks he's great captured within the context of a spoof 'fly on the wall' documentary. To me the appeal of the programme was that its portrait of office life (a place were millions of people the world over devote so much time and energy to things that they otherwise have no interest whatsoever in) and the characters in it was almost painfully recognisable in its absurdity and thus hilarious. The more soap operaish plot elements e.g. whether Tim and the female receptionist (can't think of her name at the moment) would finally get it together were of less interest to me.
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
The more soap operaish plot elements e.g. whether Tim and the female receptionist (can't think of her name at the moment) would finally get it together were of less interest to me.

Rolling Eyes
alan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Quote:
The more soap operaish plot elements e.g. whether Tim and the female receptionist (can't think of her name at the moment) would finally get it together were of less interest to me.

Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes too....how could you NOT care about them? Have you no heart? You must have been the only person in the UK who watched the last episode without punching the air then!
seymour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
Ian wrote:
Quote:

Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes too....how could you NOT care about them? Have you no heart? You must have been the only person in the UK who watched the last episode without punching the air then!

Punching the air, crying like a little girl......those are the same thing, right? Best TV show ever. Sopranos may be tied for first place, but it's apples and oranges.
Pat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I can only accept one show from the last 10 years as topping the UK Office (that would be Arrested Development), but that's almost just nit-picking, they are both fabulous beyond fabulous. I still can't believe how easily Gervais makes you not like, but actually LOVE David brent, despite the fact that he is SO painfully out of touch (he's at least 20 years behind in his views on topics like race and sex). Thing is, he's that guy who is not at all HATEFUL towards any particular group or person, he's just ignorant and self-centered, but, ya know, a good guy at heart I think. That is a TOUGH dichotomy to pull off on screen, got to give him all the credit in the world for finessing that character into existence.
luther

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I believe I'll order a pizza, drink a half dozen or so bottles of Stella Artois and watch Season One again.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: