Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Led Zeppelin Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beckner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: The Led Zeppelin Thread If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

First off, don't miss the 11 (!) discs of Studio Outtakes that are on this blog. Thanks to Alan and Ian for unearthing this. I've only dabbled in here and there with the boots, and haven't even nabbed all of it yet. I'll tell ya, 25 minutes of studio "No Quarter" is as amazing as you could possibly think.

I don't know though, if I want my Zeppelin records peeled back and exposed. There's a certain mystique that Led Zeppelin carries with it, the power and light and shade. So humanizing these albums might be dangerous.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You'll appreciate the albums even more, trust me. Particularly 4 and Graffiti.
Pibroch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave! I've always wanted to hear Zep studio outtakes.
Giant Hogweed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

this is real good stuff, I've heard some of it before - the Zepp 3 cottage outtakes are great - who'd have thought all those years ago that one day those tapes would be heard? I've always wanted to hear the first album outtakes too.
To be honest I could listen to a thousand hours of Bonzos drumming and not get bored!
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Anyone able to post a "best of" comp of what is not on their studio albums. For instance, "Hey Hey, What Can I Do" was a b-side, right?

I am so loving these guys right now. "Stairway to Heaven" is one of the weirdest hits of all time. Those verses just go on and on with that super-basic guitar arpeggio and no drums, with those "Revelations" style lyrics. Too weird. And then that weird repeating bendy guitar at the end of the song that goes "aah-aah/ aah-aah" and sounds remarkably like a human voice. It's such a disconnected hodgepodge of production ideas.
Beckner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone able to post a "best of" comp of what is not on their studio albums. For instance, "Hey Hey, What Can I Do" was a b-side, right?

There's only maybe three official released tracks not on the albums.

Hey Hey What Can I Do?
Baby Come on Home
and the Moby Dick/ Bonzo's Montreaux edit from the 1990 box.

"Traveling Riverside Blues" was once slightly obscure but is now on the BBC Sessions two disc, along with "The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair."

There's some officially released interview tracks but I don't have any of those. Does anyone have the Limited Edition Third Disc of the BBC Sessions?

And the 45 single of "Whole Lotta Love" contained an edited version of the song. 4:51 instead of 5:34.
luther

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:

And the 45 single of "Whole Lotta Love" contained an edited version of the song. 4:51 instead of 5:34.

And thus only two minutes too long, as opposed to nearly three. Razz
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nahh, the studio version is just right. It's the live versions that are too long. For my money, the only live version I like is the Knebworth one. Spooky, dark funk.
luther

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, 14:38 in Frankfurt (1980) is Too Damn Much Love, in my book.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I have half-hour versions! Though, admittedly, the middle sections of those are great rock and roll medleys, with short versions of stuff like Party and My Baby Left Me.
koeeoaddi there

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

the How The West Was Won dvd has a great short version of Whole Lotta Love too.
apart from We're Gonna Groove and the two Cochran songs, its the only "straight up" song on there we're they dont try and twist it into some brain melting jam. brain melting as in half the time you just kinda want to scream out "get on with the fucking song!".
love the start too when Page and Plant are in each others' faces - they seem like a real group for those few seconds as opposed to Rock Gods.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

How The West is the CD, the DVD is just called Led Zeppelin. But I get whatcha mean! Very Happy
Chance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hmm. I just ordered a boot called "Studio Sessions Ultimate," on the Scorpio label, that's 12 discs. If it's got anything extra that's not on the 11 disc set, I'll upload the additional material for everyone.

Beckner wrote:
I don't know though, if I want my Zeppelin records peeled back and exposed. There's a certain mystique that Led Zeppelin carries with it, the power and light and shade. So humanizing these albums might be dangerous.
You know what Dave, I often find that listenening to sessions from certain magical, perfect albums more likely than not adds to the mystique. That certain magic hangs heavy throughout the recording process. "Sgt. Pepper," "Born To Run," "Dark Side Of The Moon," sometimes when you catch an artist at their peak, it's a mindblower to hear everything they're laying down. And the fascination of hearing a band interact in the studio, how they relate, what each contributes to the recording process, there's a great mystique there in itself. Given that IMO, there are no bad Zep records, I can't wait to get my hands on this stuff. Very Happy 'Course, I'll be eating ham sandwiches for the next nine months to pay it off. Oy.
"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, there's a lot more Graffiti stuff on the Scorpio set.
Chance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Alrighty! Very Happy No complaints here.
"For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: