Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Led Zeppelin Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

koeeoaddi there wrote:
zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:

BUT, and I hope I wont be slaughtered for that, I would say that Stairway to Heaven is the really weak song on it, too slow, too medieval, I dont think it up to the quality of the other songs.

no way!
that song is fucking tops!
i think i'm lucky over in sunny england in that i never hear it on the radio - though perhaps thats because i never listen to the radio - but there's been no overkill for me.
too medieval? how can that be a bad thing?!
the way the song builds and builds is just majestic. there's so much going on in the song it makes my head spin.
there's a really quiet keyboard part in there somewhere (gar! cant remember which section) thats just gorgeous - worth the price of admission alone!
the one thing about Zep 4 is that i wish it had been a double album - if one zep album deserved to be a double album it was this and not physical grafitti.

Yeah I still can't swallow Jethro Tull, so you'll have to bear with me on that one too Smile

Last edited by zelilgirlI1ncenu on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
audiomark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was also part of that year zero crew but luckily for me had grown up listening to the zep albums through my elder brother's bedroom door! He was a Zep freak and so the contents of Zeps first four albums in particular are emblazoned in my mind. Good thing too - I love Zep very much. Led Zep III is spotless.

John Paul Jones impresses me no end -what an incredible musician. On the LZ DVD, the 75 Earls court show - he is outstanding, flipping effortlessly from mandolin to upright bass to keyboard to electric bass. And all played with seemingly effortless skill. The cameraman obviously thinks Page is the only soloist - during the acoustic section which Jones carries with his lyrical mandolin playing, the camera is fixed on Jimmy Page who was playing the acoustic rythm guitar. We get the odd few seconds of Jones. Ridiculous!! So were some of his haircuts!![/quote]

I think Jimmy Page and Robert Plant have taken (sadly) to the idea that John Paul Jones was along for the ride and not of the intrinsic value the rest of them were. I remember the three surviving members receiving some honor or award on TV, and when it was his turn to speak, refering to the fact that he was saddened by the fact that his mates had lost his phone number. Page and Plant had been touring with the "UnLedded" show at the time. I guess in the end it was about money. Sad.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

audiomark wrote:

Odd as it may seem in 1972, in my school ,the Beatles were considered no longer cool. Elvis , at that time , was the ultimate dinosaur.All those records I listed in my earlier post were still nearly new.

Absolutely true, and I still havent recovered fully from Beatlephobia.
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I went to secondary (high) school from 1970 onwards (to 1977) so The Beatles had split. If the music wasn't new you didn't really listen to it. So for my growing generation it was T Rex, Bowie, ALice Cooper etc, and then The Who and the Stones were still around, as well as the Faces and Pink Floyd etc.

My older brother's first LP purchase was Led Zepp IV so I grew up with that too (followed by Hendrix and Deep Purple). By 1977 Zepp were VERY uncool if you were into punk, still gods if you were into heavy rock (it wasn't called metal then), but most people were still noodling away in the middle somewhere blissfully unaware of what they were no longer allowed to listen to.

Took me a while to overthrow the party line though and buy my Zepp albums back!
koeeoaddi there

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
I went to secondary (high) school from 1970 onwards (to 1977) so The Beatles had split. If the music wasn't new you didn't really listen to it. So for my growing generation it was T Rex, Bowie, ALice Cooper etc, and then The Who and the Stones were still around, as well as the Faces and Pink Floyd etc.

My older brother's first LP purchase was Led Zepp IV so I grew up with that too (followed by Hendrix and Deep Purple). By 1977 Zepp were VERY uncool if you were into punk, still gods if you were into heavy rock (it wasn't called metal then), but most people were still noodling away in the middle somewhere blissfully unaware of what they were no longer allowed to listen to.

Took me a while to overthrow the party line though and buy my Zepp albums back!

where did the quo fit in to your musical youth?
audiomark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was already out of school by the time punk hit. I liked the Ramones and Patti Smith. I thought the whole Sex Pistols thing was hype. Never really fell in with disco that much. I will cop to having the "Saturday Night Fever"
soundtrack though. Found it very interesting ten years down the line that my younger brother, then in high school still loved Zep, Floyd,the Who, and lets not forget, the Doors were huge around here in the eighties.along with his monster load of hair metal band cassettes. Must have been the AOR radio influence.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

actual Zeppelin news

and more reunion rumors. Yeah right.

And Page to tour with Yardbirds?
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Wow. That is beyond fab. CELEBRATION DAY!
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Whoah- yeah, that wasn't on DVD, either, was it?

Also worth noting:

Quote:
First up on Nov. 13 via Atlantic/Rhino

Handing over a bit of the reigns to the Rhino imprint can only mean GREAT things in terms of official live releases.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Got to thinking about it, wasn't sure if many people have seen the Beat Club "Whole Lotta Love" clip. Don't blink, it's titillating. Wink

link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: