Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Led Zeppelin Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beckner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
There's some great 80's McCartney too.

And there is some great 80s/ 90s Alice.

You just won't let me make blanket statements tonight, will ya?
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
And there is some great 80s/ 90s Alice.

Now you're just being ridiculous!
Beckner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Alright, so I think "Poison" is great.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

If you post a critical reanalysis of The Honeydrippers, I swear I'll pull the plug.
luther

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:

It sounds like a typical (of the era) Desmond Child pop-metal hit. In fact, I'm going to look it up. One minute.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
luther

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

ahahahhaa

Poison Child, Cooper, McCurry

By the way, I hope Desmond Child is a rich man. He deserves it after making or maintaining the careers of so many of that era's rockers.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa

Last edited by luther on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I own this album and enjoy it.
Beckner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
If you post a critical reanalysis of The Honeydrippers, I swear I'll pull the plug.

Nope, I haven't heard the whole album.
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
IanWagner wrote:

Nope, I haven't heard the whole album.

Pull the plug then -- I loved "Sea of Love" and "Good Rockin Tonight". In fact, those were the first versions of those songs I heard. Nostalgia it may be but I loves me some Honeydrippers.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

luther wrote:

That and his music is shit.

Clean your ears young man.
koeeoaddi there

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:

BUT, and I hope I wont be slaughtered for that, I would say that Stairway to Heaven is the really weak song on it, too slow, too medieval, I dont think it up to the quality of the other songs.

no way!
that song is fucking tops!
i think i'm lucky over in sunny england in that i never hear it on the radio - though perhaps thats because i never listen to the radio - but there's been no overkill for me.
too medieval? how can that be a bad thing?!
the way the song builds and builds is just majestic. there's so much going on in the song it makes my head spin.
there's a really quiet keyboard part in there somewhere (gar! cant remember which section) thats just gorgeous - worth the price of admission alone!
the one thing about Zep 4 is that i wish it had been a double album - if one zep album deserved to be a double album it was this and not physical grafitti.
koeeoaddi there

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:

i read that and thought you meant the band at first.
and then i became disappointed when i realised you meant the song.
cubist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
audiomark wrote:
When I was in high school Zep's I-V, Floyd's "Dark Side", "Who's Next" and Allman's "Fillmore East" were required listening. We all had'em we all wore'em out. Think slightly earlier than the movie "Dazed and Confused" that's us! Yeah, I'm OLD! Elton John, Bowie, T-Rex that was considered "girl's music" back then. We all listened to it secretly though.

Hey, I'm old too, but Led Zep was dinosaur music in 1977, you could not possibly be seen to listen to these dying monsters.

I was also part of that year zero crew but luckily for me had grown up listening to the zep albums through my elder brother's bedroom door! He was a Zep freak and so the contents of Zeps first four albums in particular are emblazoned in my mind. Good thing too - I love Zep very much. Led Zep III is spotless.

John Paul Jones impresses me no end -what an incredible musician. On the LZ DVD, the 75 Earls court show - he is outstanding, flipping effortlessly from mandolin to upright bass to keyboard to electric bass. And all played with seemingly effortless skill. The cameraman obviously thinks Page is the only soloist - during the acoustic section which Jones carries with his lyrical mandolin playing, the camera is fixed on Jimmy Page who was playing the acoustic rythm guitar. We get the odd few seconds of Jones. Ridiculous!! So were some of his haircuts!!
cubist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
alan wrote:
IanWagner wrote:
And in 1967, you wouldn't have been caught listening to those dying striped monsters The Beach Boys!

Unless you were 8 and you had no idea what uncool was.... Laughing

Exactly. Let us all remain 8 and have no idea of what cool is. Cause that's what cool is.

Cool! Smile
audiomark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
audiomark wrote:
When I was in high school Zep's I-V, Floyd's "Dark Side", "Who's Next" and Allman's "Fillmore East" were required listening. We all had'em we all wore'em out. Think slightly earlier than the movie "Dazed and Confused" that's us! Yeah, I'm OLD! Elton John, Bowie, T-Rex that was considered "girl's music" back then. We all listened to it secretly though.

Hey, I'm old too, but Led Zep was dinosaur music in 1977, you could not possibly be seen to listen to these dying monsters.

Odd as it may seem in 1972, in my school ,the Beatles were considered no longer cool. Elvis , at that time , was the ultimate dinosaur.All those records I listed in my earlier post were still nearly new. FM radio still had not totally infiltrated to the mass consumer level. You had to be somewhat of an "audiophile" to even have FM. The AOR format was still years away.We listened to hard rock on the FM college radio stations, and our parents hated the sheer loudness of it. As I recall, there was maybe the rare hard rock single on the AM top 40 charts back then. Hard to believe Zeppelin/The Who were ever considered so scary at one time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: