Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Elvis Costello Upload Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
It's very dry sounding to me, the songs need Nieve.

That's one thing I love about it -- mostly 2 guitars, bass drums, great songs, no other BS in the middle to muck it up.
you gotta be kidding me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

One of my favorite lines in all of his work is "Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being" from "Lipstick Vogue". I find it really tragic and moving, given the context.

We should start a whole new thread just dedicated to his lyrics.
alan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jeff Mason wrote:
Beckner wrote:
It's very dry sounding to me, the songs need Nieve.

That's one thing I love about it -- mostly 2 guitars, bass drums, great songs, no other BS in the middle to muck it up.

And totally Mono too....
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I wonder why the similarity between the sound of certain tracks on Aim, such as Sneaky Feelings and Pay It Back, to Steely Dan hasn't been more remarked upon. Despite his lyrical freshness, it just sounds like a typical 70's album, which isn't a bad thing.
Alison and Red Shoes work. But damn, when Watching The Detectives comes in, whew, one note and you know this is the BAND.
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
I wonder why the similarity between the sound of certain tracks on Aim, such as Sneaky Feelings and Pay It Back, to Steely Dan hasn't been more remarked upon. Despite his lyrical freshness, it just sounds like a typical 70's album, which isn't a bad thing.
Alison and Red Shoes work. But damn, when Watching The Detectives comes in, whew, one note and you know this is the BAND.

I agree. I love the whole album, but Watching The Detectives is on another level.
alan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The joy of seeing him live a few times when that first album came out was hearing those songs but ramped up several degrees by The Attractions. The El Mocombo gig covers that nicely but there are several good shows on the Nargothebort site mentioned earlier from this (and other periods).
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The Cleveland Agora show is insane.
you gotta be kidding me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've always heard Neil Young's "Cowgirl in the Sand" in "Watching the Detectives".
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:

Explains why he went over so well with the Rolling Stone crowd. Of course, Greil Marcus dissed him and called the Attractions "Batman music" (like there's something wrong with that?).

IanWagner wrote:

I never much cared for the band's playing on the MAIT Alison. His singing is great, though. I really dig the more piano-based arrangement of that tune the Attractions would do live.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I love the white, middle class, above-average studio rock of My Aim is True. Some of the songs are genius (Angels). But for me that album is typified for me by jeans and sneakers pub rock songs like "Pay It Back." That's what I put the record on for.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of Detectives. I find the lyrics to be gimmicky compared to the heart-on-sleeve lines of Miracle Man or Blame it on Cain. I think Elvis is a brilliant lyricist, but I think there are quite a few fake-it-till-ya-make-it lyrics on those first early records anyway.

By the way, anyone notice that if you say his last name correctly (i.e. not like an American) that it has the same meter as Declan MacManus? That just occured to me the other day and it's not insignificant.
alan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
Joel5000 wrote:
Only 1 person has downloaded the entire Berlin show so far. IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!! Please check it out if you have any interest in that era of Elvis' career. I'd love to hear other thoughts.

I've spent the evening clearing space on my hard drive as I was down to 85Mb free out of 160Gb!!!!! I've ordered a new external 400Gb drive but Amazon haven't even shipped it yet! I knew I should have gone for the paid delivery....

As soon as I get some space I will be back here in a flash!!!!!!

Now have new 400Gb hard drive, now downloading Elvis concert! (God its a big one!) - look forward to hearing it. Cheers Joel.
you gotta be kidding me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
Grace and virtue turn into stupidity
While the calendar fades almost all barricades to a pale compromise
And our leaders have feasts on the backsides of beasts
They still think theyre the gods of antiquity
If something you missed didnt even exist
It was just an ideal -- is it such a surprise?

What shall we do, what shall we do with all this useless beauty?
All this useless beauty
alan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Just playing the 1977 Cleveland Agora gig - bloody fantastic. Elvis has been out of my life for far too long.

Thanks for the reviving my interest you folks!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: