Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Elvis Costello Upload Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I have the Ryko "Aim"-that's good enough for me.
Joel5000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Elvis Costello with Steve Nieve – Lonely in Berlin
Berlin, Grosser Sendesaal des SFB
10th of May, 1999

Part 1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fnotzy
Part 2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ufiho5
Part 3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bhcly2
Part 4
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zdoyyf

In 1996, following the release of All This Useless Beauty, Elvis set out on a short promotional tour accompanied only by Attraction Steve Nieve on piano and his own acoustic guitar. The short tour proved a triumph, as Steve’s creative playing and the stripped down arrangements really allowed the material from Beauty to shine, and the quality of the songs to come through. A limited edition EP box set called Costello/Nieve documents that tour, and is well worth seeking out.

Elvis returned to this format three years later for his “Lonely World” tour in support of his collaboration with Burt Bacharach “Painted From Memory.” Once again, Elvis’ catalog came alive as it never had before. Elvis wrings every last bit of emotion from his voice, and Nieve’s piano is perfectly sympathetic to the Bacharach/Costello material. This is my favorite Elvis tour, and it is doubtful that he will ever sing this well again. His vocals are flawless throughout this show, and the sound is even more stunning. This is a professionally recorded show in Berlin, and the quality is jaw-dropping. So is the performance. Of special note is the closing performance of Couldn’t Call It Unexpected No. 4. This is the definitive performance of that song, and it is beautiful beyond any words I could use to describe it.

I treasure this recording, and I hope you will enjoy it too. I had to break it up into 4 parts. It is a big download, but I promise that it is worth it.

CD 1:
Temptation
Talking In The Dark
American Without Tears
Toledo
What’s Her Name Today
(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
Little Atoms
Almost Blue
Accidents Will Happen
You Lie Sweetly
Painted From Memory
This House Is Empty Now
Pads, Paws & Claws - Baby, Please Don’t Go
Indoor Fireworks
Radio Sweetheart - Reet Petite - Jackie Wilson Said

CD 2:
God’s Comic
All This Useless Beauty
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Alison
In The Darkest Place
- applause -
Inch By Inch - Fever
Shallow Grave
Watching The Detectives
Everyday I Write The Book (feat. Ron Sexsmith)
I Want You
I Still Have That Other Girl
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
God Give Me Strength
Couldn t Call It Unexpected #4
Beckner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks Joel!
you gotta be kidding me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Painted From Memory is one of the best records of the last ten years.
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

you gotta be kidding me wrote:

I have really tried with that album - loved the main track (God give me Strength) but found the rest dull beyond belief....not played it for yonks though...have to try again.
you gotta be kidding me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Do you like Bacharach by hisself?
Joel5000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:

I have really tried with that album - loved the main track (God give me Strength) but found the rest dull beyond belief....not played it for yonks though...have to try again.

Its easily one of my favorite albums of all time. Toledo? The Long Division? This House is Empty Now? Dull? No way.
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

ah, there's the rub. No, -well, obviously there are some Bacharach songs you can't help but like, (Walk On By...er.....Walk On By) - but a lot of his stuff I just find bland.

That could indeed be it. Crying or Very sad
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:

ah, there's the rub. No, -well, obviously there are some Bacharach songs you can't help but like, (Walk On By...er.....Walk On By) - but a lot of his stuff I just find bland.

The Look of Love????

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah wrote:
alan wrote:

The Look of Love????

Yes actually - that sort of song leaves me cold. It's taking muzak to a high art but its muzak all the same for me....
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
alan wrote:

The Look of Love????

Yes actually - that sort of song leaves me cold. It's taking muzak to a high art but its muzak all the same for me....
Huh. I've always found "Walk On By" and "Look of Love" to be pretty similar in mood, actually. They both share a similar brooding vibe to them, only one is brooding on loss and the other on lust.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
Joel5000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Only 1 person has downloaded the entire Berlin show so far. IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!! Please check it out if you have any interest in that era of Elvis' career. I'd love to hear other thoughts.
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
Only 1 person has downloaded the entire Berlin show so far. IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!! Please check it out if you have any interest in that era of Elvis' career. I'd love to hear other thoughts.

I've spent the evening clearing space on my hard drive as I was down to 85Mb free out of 160Gb!!!!! I've ordered a new external 400Gb drive but Amazon haven't even shipped it yet! I knew I should have gone for the paid delivery....

As soon as I get some space I will be back here in a flash!!!!!!
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:

workin on it right now Joel, thanxs
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah wrote:
alan wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
alan wrote:

The Look of Love????

Huh. I've always found "Walk On By" and "Look of Love" to be pretty similar in mood, actually. .

Not the version by The Stranglers..... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: