Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Beatles Live/Home Recordings Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: The Beatles Live/Home Recordings Thread If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

On the night of July 6, 1957, Paul McCartney met John Lennon at the Woolton Parish Church Fete, after a performance by Lennon's group The Quarrymen. Unbelievably, this historic show was recorded by a man named Bob Molyneux on his own tape recorder. In the late 90's, this tape was auctioned, and a brief 30 second snippet of The Quarrymen's performance of Puttin' On The Style was provided to media outlets.
This recording is without question the earliest Beatle-related audio in existence. Hopefully the entire tape will be made available at some point.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rdm8ia
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You are kidding.

This was taped?

No one thought to tape Elvis Opening Night 1969 but THAT got taped?

Whoa.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep. Apparently a bit of the performance of Baby Let's Play House has been aired this year as well, but I haven't found it yet.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i7f51p

In April 1960, just prior to their tour backing Johnny Gentle, The "Beatals" recorded some practice sessions in Paul's bathroom at his dad's house.
They were currently drummerless, and Stuart Sutcliffe had recently joined on bass.
Two hours of recordings were captured, only surviving the years because the tapes were taken to Germany that summer, and lent to (and copied by) a couple of their new German friends.
The tapes were partly issued in the 80's on vinyl bootlegs (erroneously credited as tapes from the 50's of The Quarrymen), then finally collected in the 90's on a Spank bootleg entitled Wildcat, although in strangely edited form.
Three heavily edited excerpts were included on the official Anthology set. Then, the tapes were issued in correct form on a bootleg entitled The Braun-Kirchherr Tapes.
When listening to the entire tapes, it's apparent that the edited Anthology releases painted these recordings in the best light possible. They show a band that really hadn't progressed at all from the fine That'll Be The Day/In Spite Of All The Danger acetate of 1958. In fact, almost the opposite.
This is the only audio evidence of Stuart Sutcliffe as a musician, and it bears out all published accounts of his ineptitude. He simply cannot play, and drags the band down with him, making them sound like rank amateurs.
Besides the Anthology cuts, there are some nice tracks, including Lennon's Hello Little Girl, McCartney's I'll Follow The Sun, the original skiffle arrangement of One After 909, a lovely Paul-crooned version of Les Paul and Mary Ford's The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise, and raw but spirited George-led runthroughs of 50's instros Ramrod and Movin' Ad Groovin'.
There are a few more originals that are entirely undistinguished and foggy-sounding. Unfortunately, the bulk of the tapes are practically unlistenable, lengthy improvised "blues jams" that show the group in the worst light possible.
The recordings are very historic and essential to the true Beatle fan, but they aren't to be played often.
This is the complete, correct version of the tapes, from the Braun-Kirchherr double CD set.

The next time they made it to tape, one year later, they would sound like a totally different band, tight, seasoned and purely rock and roll.
Mark Roberts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://octaner.blogspot.com/2007/07/complete-home-recordings.html
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

If anyone wishes to follow the chronological deal I'm presenting, I'd recommend skipping Octaner this time.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lwliyq

This doesn't really belong in the category of the thread, but oh well. In the regrettable absence of the Euro double-disc Beatles' First Deluxe Edition, which I don't have, here's the best I could do to represent the sessions. If anyone has that deluxe set, please let me know.
The familiar eight tracks as they appear on the widely disseminated Beatles' First and Early Tapes comps, and some rare extras: the rechanneled stereo mixes from the US MGM Ain't She Sweet LP, stereo mixes of My Bonnie with German intro and no intro, true stereo Ain't She Sweet and Sweet Georgia Brown stereo with original lyrics.
Sweet Georgia was actually recorded one year later than the rest of the cuts, on a return visit in 1962, and then in 1964 Sheridan rerecorded the vocal to make reference to The Beatles' hair, and the US release contained extra musical overdubs as well.

I really like these recordings, especially because it shows how much they had been forced to improve in the last year of punishing three-sets-a-night work in Germany. Sheridan may be too Elvis-imitative, but he's at least charming. George's guitar sounds great, and even Pete Best manages to acquit himself well for once.

Don't forget to check the Purple Chick thread for the Decca Audition and BBC recordings of the period.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4j4oiv

Most of us have seen the famous first TV appearance of the Beatles, for the Know The North show, filmed on August 22, 1962, at the Cavern Club, just four days after Ringo permanently joined the group.
A lot of folks don't know, however, that the original audio of this film was far too distorted to use, so the sound was rerecorded two weeks later, on September 5th, which explains why the sound and picture do not match up at point. This recording took place between the two studio recordings of Love Me Do that month.
Two versions of Some Other Guy have survived from that day: the one from the film soundtrack, and another version, which survived on acetate. An excerpt of Kansas City was included in the Anthology documentary. All three tracks are included here.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3gtdfn

On October 29th 1962, The Beatles performed live on the People And Places television show. As usual with their TV work of the era, the video does not exist these days. But one foresighted viewer recorded some of the live performance of A Taste Of Honey from the TV. Here it is.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3hvkt5

At the beginning of December 1962, The Beatles recorded a practice session at the Cavern of three new additions to their stage repertoire. These were I Saw Her Standing There, a new rock arrangement of One After 909 (later attempted in the studio during the From Me To You session) and the instrumental Catswalk AKA Cat Call, a song that would only appear officially in a version by the Chris Barber Jazz Band produced by Paul McCartney on the Apple label.
One version of Standing, and two each of 909 and Catswalk have survived.
Beckner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ian, you really know how to outdo yourself at times.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Is that outdo or overdo? Wink
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6m63lt

On their last visit to the Star Club in Hamburg, on the nights of December 25th, 28th and 31st, fellow musician Ted Taylor recorded some of the Beatles' sets. He kept the tapes and 15 years later a selection from them appeared as a double LP, and then for the next 15 years in various permutations on many different labels.
More of the recordings appeared on the bootleg circuit and also in excerpted form in the Anthology film.
Some Beatle audio experts painstakingly studied the tapes and were able to place the recordings in their proper orders, and sets. The fruit of this work has appeared across the internet, but not on a proper bootleg as of yet.
Here are the recordings separated into three folders, one for each night.
Great, great, historic recordings heard the way they should be.
Beckner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:

Well at least you admit your failings! Laughing
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
IanWagner wrote:

Well at least you admit your failings! Laughing

Wait'll you see my Zeppelin 73 Soundboard thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: