Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Beatles Live/Home Recordings Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/up94ya

September 4th, 1968. The Beatles film two promo clips for their new single Hey Jude/Revolution, live vocals to studio backing track, in front of an audience. David Frost presents these clips, and they were shown on his TV show, but they were not made specifically for it, despite popular belief. Here is the audio.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pb2o1f

November 1968. While waiting for the new Beatles double-album to be released, the band scatters to the four winds. George heads out to New York and LA. In New York, he visits Bob Dylan and The Band. George and Bob write a couple new tunes, and a recording is made. The songs are Nowhere To Go, which never reappeared, and I'd Have You Anytime, which would appear two years later on All Things Must Pass. Here is that recording.

During that month, John and Yoko were in residence at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London due to complications with Yoko's pregnancy. She would eventually miscarry. During their stay, they made recordings that were released on the second side of their second collaborative LP, Life With The Lions, as well as a flexidisc for the magazine Aspen.

Paul finished production on Mary Hopkin's debut LP for Apple, and one night got into a taped jam with Donovan and Hopkin. This recording appears on the Purple Chick The Beatles Deluxe Edition.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ysldbe

Late November 1968-Early January 1969. The Beatles had just 6 weeks to prepare for their next group project. George recorded Badge with Cream at their final studio sessions.
John, reeling from the recent miscarriage and drug bust, slips with Yoko into heroin addiction. He's clearly in no place for a major Beatles project, but he manages to get some new song fragments down on tape at home.
Look At Me will not appear on record for another two years, on the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band LP. Everybody Has A Hard Year is a fragment, to be shortly worked into Paul's I've Got A Feeling. Oh My Love won't be finished for three years, for John's Imagine LP. A Case Of The Blues is a simple, but spooky and fine song that John will air briefly at the Get Back sessions, this home recording being the most complete rendition. John's major new composition is Don't Let Me Down, a brilliant, heartrending love song for Yoko, but here it is sketchy, and won't be properly developed till the Get Back sessions. Yoko had recently made the startling statement in an interview, "woman is the nigger of the world". Four years later, a full song with this title would appear on the Some Time In New York City LP, but in 68, John tried an initial attempt at the tune. Another simple ditty was I Want You, a sexy blues that would be tried in the Get Back sessions, and magnificently finished for Abbey Road.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've always viewed "Look At Me" as Julia Part 2, the finger picking pattern and structure are so similar. I never knew it harkened back to before the POB era though.

And lyrically, they are yin and yang.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
I've always viewed "Look At Me" as Julia Part 2, the finger picking pattern and structure are so similar. I never knew it harkened back to before the POB era though.

And lyrically, they are yin and yang.

Add Dear Prudence to that list as well. The demo makes that especially clear.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

And someone in Elton's band borrowed the picking for "Love Song" on "Tumbleweed Connection."

(But that's neither here nor there.)
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zv3j12

Early 1969. Paul's production of Those Were The Days for Mary Hopkin was the second #1 single for Apple Records, a worldwide smash. For her followup, Paul decided to write an original. He made a beautiful, stunning home demo of this song, Goodbye.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
And someone in Elton's band borrowed the picking for "Love Song" on "Tumbleweed Connection."

(But that's neither here nor there.)

Have you heard the live version of that on Here And There. That is too, too good. Lesley Duncan (who wrote it) sings it with him.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Haha, no pun intended about "neither here nor there" and you start talking up "Here And There." But no, not yet.

(Actually I'm trying to cool out on Reg before I burn out on him altogether.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: