Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Association Admiration Aggregation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: The Association Admiration Aggregation If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

A thread to discuss the most underrated of all the great sixties bands, the fabulous Association!

Six (later seven) guys who could do it all-- sing wonderfully complex harmonies, write amazing pop songs and play their instruments with precision and skill.

The seven studio albums the group recorded in their original incarnation are all (with one exception) fantastic. They also released a fine double-live LP as well as a smattering of cool non-LP singles. Their performance at the Monterey Pop Festival won over even the toughest of their critics.

To start things off, here is a re-post of their classic, Curt Boettcher produced debut album, And Then Along Comes the Association, in a limited edition 2-cd set! Disc one contains the original stereo and mono mixes, sourced from the original vinyl. Disc two contains the Japanese CD remastered version as well as all the instrumental backing tracks.

My full review of this fantastic record can be found in the Curt Boettcher thread. But I'd advise anyone who digs sixties pop not to pass this set up.

DISC ONE: (original mono and stereo LP mixes)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8ZXPQ7F6

DISC TWO: (Japanese stereo remaster and OOPS backing tracks)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZEI2Z0Q

(Apologies to Katie and Josh; I was supposed to post this stuff a few days ago, but I hope it was worth the wait!)
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL. Thanks, thanks, thanks.
Andy B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hey Jason. Thanks for The Association !"Along Comes" uploads. Can't wait to get the instrumaental only one. Those tracks blow me apart. Especially Message Of Our Love. So, so beautiful.

Just wondering. Is the 2 disc "Just The Right Sound" Anthology worth getting? I know there's a couple of extra of tracks on there, not on the albums. Any good? Are the single mixes mono etc
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Awesome, awesome album. missed out on those backing tracks the last time so i'll be sure to nab this when i get home.
There are'nt that many albums that have as many inventive arrangements using such diverse types of instruments, and the idea of hearing this "stack o' tracks" style is tantalizing, to say the least. Not to mention the incredible panning on the stereo mix.
Laurie Arleen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Awesome! I love The Association. Can't wait to d/l these after work today. Smile
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:

Just wondering. Is the 2 disc "Just The Right Sound" Anthology worth getting? I know there's a couple of extra of tracks on there, not on the albums. Any good? Are the single mixes mono etc

Personally I think it's a wonderful collection. Can't remember if the singles mixes are mono or stereo, but as I own all the original albums on vinyl anyway it was nice to get a smattering of the best tracks in remastered stereo sound.

There are some great hard to find songs on it as well-- the early singles "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "One Too Many Mornings" and "Forty Times", their cover of the Millennium's "Just About the Same", Larry Ramos's awesome pre-Association Columbia single "It's Gonna Take a Little Time", the band's two final 45s "Names Tags Numbers Labels" and "One Sunday Morning" and the fine Bijou (Jules Alexander & Russ Giguere) single "Carry On".

The 80's reunion stuff that's included is a little more suspect but still worth hearing. Weirdly, the compilers failed to include their 1984 Curt Boettcher produced version of "Walk Away Renee" from the Mike Love/ Dean Torrance Rock 'n' Roll City cassette.

I"ll continue to upload whatever you guys want, but I'm a little unsure about what's in print verses what's not. I'm certain that their excellent 1972 album Waterbeds in Trinidad! has been out of print for decades, at least in the US. You guys need to hear this one for its great versions of "Snow Queen", "Darling Be Home Soon" and John Stewart's "Little Road and a Stone to Roll"!
Andy B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks Jason. I've been meaning to buy the anthology, so i think i'll make the extra effort now.

I never heard that Curt produced them doing Walk Away Renee. Wow! You don't have that to hand do you?!! Very Happy

I must admit i know very little about them. I only bought the "Along Comes Album" because of the Curt connection. I've heard Pandoras Golden Heebie Jeebies - well that is a beauty. Probably more psychedelic that the Curt produced stuff. Real dramatic. That was produced by Jerry Yester wasn't it? Another maverick producer if ever there was one.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, Jerry Yester, who produced their entire second album Renaissance. Jerry's brother Jim one of the members of the Association.

Andy, if you're unfamiliar with the Association in general another good reason to get the JTRS set is Dawn Eden's liner notes, which are in depth, and the great color photos, many of which I had never seen before.

Here's the 1984 Curt-produced "Walk Away Renee":

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F61HZBSB

The original mono singles mixes of six songs from the debut:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E9WN0VKI

And a uber-rare 1966 promo:

whyzacre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this stuff Jason! I love the Association as much as the next Association lover.

Did "Insight Out" get the same treatment as "Along Comes"?
I completely dig- Wasn't It A Bit Like Now!
SurferGirl7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Message Of Our Love is the best song like ever written.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

whyzacre wrote:
Thanks so much for this stuff Jason! I love the Association as much as the next Association lover.

Did "Insight Out" get the same treatment as "Along Comes"?
I completely dig- Wasn't It A Bit Like Now!

Negative on Insight Out. The ATACTA reissue was part of an ongoing project to do deluxe versions of all of Curt Boettcher's albums. (The same project that led to the 6-cd CB singles set.) Hence, that's the only album of theirs that got the deluxe treatment.

I've got some other cool Association rarities though, if anybody's interested.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:

Ya think?? Wink

Thanks for all your efforts at sharing all this music and knowledge, JP. Much appreciated.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

SurferGirl7 wrote:
Message Of Our Love is the best song like ever written.

On some days I'd agree! Right now "Remember" is my favorite Association record, but it changes daily.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Quote:

Ya think?? Wink

Thanks for all your efforts at sharing all this music and knowledge, JP. Much appreciated.

Not a problem! I'll give everyone a day or so to digest what I've uploaded so far, and then I'll post some more rarities.
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'd be happy with something that is portable. I have some stuff on cheap vinyl I got at used stores, but I can't take it with me. Inside Out in particular sounds good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: