Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Association Admiration Aggregation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:
Hey Jason. Don't know if you knew, but the "Waterbeds in Trinidad" album has been re-issued by the mighty Rev-ola.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola/artists/association.htm

Looks good to me!!

Wow, that's awesome news! Too bad there's no bonus tracks though...
hope chest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

oh jesus - this russ giguere album just kills me. simply fantastic. thank you a million times over, jason.

hollywood - MAN, i'd love to hear ANYTHING by that project.
dejaboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hope chest wrote:
oh jesus - this russ giguere album just kills me. simply fantastic. thank you a million times over, jason.

hollywood - MAN, i'd love to hear ANYTHING by that project.

Finally listened in, and thank you much Jason. An album that reminds you of what albums can be like, and with his music, Russ catches the kinetic.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No problem, fellas. Glad somebody's digging it.

As for Hollywood, I've done a little research and found a recording featuring two of the three members. Apparently the band was originally called the Beechwood Rangers, and featured a line-up of Giguere, Martin and Warren Zevon. They are featured on the final track of Linda Ronstadt's Silk Purse LP singing "Life Is Like a Mountain Railway". If anyone owns this record I would love to hear this cut!

Apparently Russ and Bill later continued on under the Martin & Giguere moniker, described as "a very funny and hip music and comedy duo". Martin is now a successful comedy writer and voice talent, while Russ leads the current touring version of the Association.
alby

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: New to the forum If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hi there,
I just wanted to say hello everyone there.
I think this is a cool forum.
I like mostly Californian 60s music like The Mamas & The Papas, The Association, Anders & Poncia, Turtles, The 5th Dimension or Spanky & Our Gang...and some UK acts like Dusty Springfield.

Jason, I must say I'm very glad to meet another associate, I was trying to meet others but I didn't seem to find a right place.

Talking about the Association rarities, I'm very curious about a very rare collection, I think is not an official one, called Along the way - The outtakes vol.1. What do you know about htis one? the songs it includes? any more volumes?

Thnaks in advance,

Albert.
trumpet sounds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
As for Hollywood, I've done a little research and found a recording featuring two of the three members. Apparently the band was originally called the Beechwood Rangers, and featured a line-up of Giguere, Martin and Warren Zevon. They are featured on the final track of Linda Ronstadt's Silk Purse LP singing "Life Is Like a Mountain Railway". If anyone owns this record I would love to hear this cut!

Silk Purse is available here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/41602774/DB1103-LindaSilk.rar

courtesy of:
http://deaconblues1103cw.blogspot.com/
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alby wrote:
Hi there,
I just wanted to say hello everyone there.
I think this is a cool forum.
I like mostly Californian 60s music like The Mamas & The Papas, The Association, Anders & Poncia, Turtles, The 5th Dimension or Spanky & Our Gang...and some UK acts like Dusty Springfield.

Jason, I must say I'm very glad to meet another associate, I was trying to meet others but I didn't seem to find a right place.

Talking about the Association rarities, I'm very curious about a very rare collection, I think is not an official one, called Along the way - The outtakes vol.1. What do you know about htis one? the songs it includes? any more volumes?

Thnaks in advance,

Albert.

Welcome, Alby! Great to have another Dusty fan here!
hope chest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

found this story here ( http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1084251 ) - i'd never heard these bits of detail behind the "along comes mary" boettcher/almer story. interesting...

The song was originally written by a young unknown named Tandyn Almer . However, it was submitted to the band as sheet music, not as a demo, and producer Curt Boettcher, at that time just starting his career, couldn't read music.

As a result, he got the backing band (standard session players of the time, mostly members of the Wrecking Crew) to play a head arrangement he came up with based on a more complex version of the chord sequence Almer had written, and then improvised a new melody over the top, but retaining Almer's rather incomprehensible lyrics.

As a result, Boettcher should have got a 50% writers' credit, but never got credited, and Almer's name remains the only one on the record.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: