Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Association Admiration Aggregation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

As promised...Insight Out in mono:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4o7v95

I did this about a year ago, and my attempts at dissemination met with precious little interest (seriously: mono Association records? Good luck!), so perhaps someone here will want it.

It's not quite audiophile, but it's leagues better than the rips in that previous 2-disc "And Then...Along Comes" rip. I cheat on at least one track by using a cut from a Varese CD instead.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks!!
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Awesome!! Thank you, Xenu!

I can relate to what you are saying... You'd think that on a board full of Beach Boys fans that there'd be a lot of love for the Association, but the response has been pretty tepid so far.

Has anyone checked out Waterbeds yet? I'm telling you guys, this record is great.

Russ Giguere's fabulous 1971 solo album Hexagram 16 is next, if anyone's interested. Oh, if any of you are wondering why in the world you should download Russ's album, just check out the list of musicians on this record:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hbfyxqwgldje~T2
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

LOVED WFT, by the way! Much appreciated.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:

Righteous! You'll dig this Russ Giguere record too, I'm telling you. He does a cover of Judee Sill's "Ridge Rider", and Judee herself actually plays guitar on some cuts.

Russ is a guy who never really gets his props, but he's got one of the most distinctive lead voices I've ever heard. And this album is deep... more experimental than anything the Association was doing at the time. I can hardly wait to turn you guys on to it.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
IanWagner wrote:

Righteous! You'll dig this Russ Giguere record too, I'm telling you. He does a cover of Judee Sill's "Ridge Rider", and Judee herself actually plays guitar on some cuts.

Russ is a guy who never really gets his props, but he's got one of the most distinctive lead voices I've ever heard. And this album is deep... more experimental than anything the Association was doing at the time. I can hardly wait to turn you guys on to it.

Can't wait, sounds incredible!
Andy B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing all this stuff. Can't wait to download it all - having slight time problems at the moment in that i don't have enough of it! Gonna get me the Right Sound Anthology this weekend as it's going pretty cheap in the local record shop.

The Russ Giguere album sounds great. Judee Sill played on there as well. Wow!!

Slightly off topic. Anyone heard The Leaves version of Dead Time Bummer Blues? Any good? This is what i love about the music from California from around the late 60's early 70's. Everyone was mixing it up. Giving each other songs, playing on others records. Why doesn;t that happen anymore?

I think i read a story about the Association and their second or third album (can't remember), about being lined up to record Macarthur Park and a whole host of Webb songs? Now that would have sounded fantastic!
hope chest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ATJ8UTW5

Here's the Association's final LP release, Waterbeds in Trinidad! I did a flat transfer of this myself from a cassette that I received in a trade long ago. (Good luck finding an original LP or the fabled Japanese CD reissue!)

OH MY GOD - the version of "snow queen" on here KILLS.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:

I think i read a story about the Association and their second or third album (can't remember), about being lined up to record Macarthur Park and a whole host of Webb songs? Now that would have sounded fantastic!

Well they were offered "MacArthur Park" by Bones Howe who was producing them at the time, but they said "no thanks". Too bad, as it could have been the big hit single they needed at that time.

The Association ultimately did record Webb's "PF Sloan" on 1971's Start Your Motor LP.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hope chest wrote:

Agreed 110%! Have you heard their version of the Millennium's "Just About the Same" yet? (Same backing track as the Millennium, but with the patented Association vocal blend.)
hope chest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
hope chest wrote:

Agreed 110%! Have you heard their version of the Millennium's "Just About the Same" yet? (Same backing track as the Millennium, but with the patented Association vocal blend.)

i have the 7" single of it. don't know if it's bias or what, but i don't like it as much as the millennium's. it's like all the elements are there but it doesn't "click" for me. and i just freakin' ADORE the association!

"snow queen" is prolly my fave carole king song ever. the versions by roger nichols and the city are fantastic, but this one takes a bit of a different tack with its outro. it sounds less like a song by a songwriter and more like a song done by a band.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've loved every version of "Snow Queen" I've ever heard. If I were FORCED to rate them, I might pick Carole's own version on the City, for the same reason I'd pick her version of "Wasn't Born to Follow". But in the same light, the Association just own that tune from the moment they latch onto it.

The other high points for me are the tracks that bookend Waterbeds!; "Silent Song Through the Land" and "Little Road and a Stone to Roll". Two of the most perfect harmony pop songs ever performed.

Something else to look into is a band from the early 70's named Hollywood. The line-up was Russ Giguere (Association), Lee Mallory (the Ballroom/ Lee Mallory Group/ the Millennium) and Bill Martin (songwriter for the Monkees and many others.) Sadly, whatever tapes they've recorded are lost or in limbo... Maybe someday.

And now, as promised, the fantastic Hexagram 16 by Mr. Russ Giguere (straight digital transfer from original 8-track cartridge). Enjoy, friends.

http://download.yousendit.com/1BE15FA60A235251
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

YES!!!! Thanks, J. I'll report back on this one soonsville.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
YES!!!! Thanks, J. I'll report back on this one soonsville.

Groovy! Enjoy the trip, Ian.
Andy B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hey Jason. Don't know if you knew, but the "Waterbeds in Trinidad" album has been re-issued by the mighty Rev-ola.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola/artists/association.htm

Looks good to me!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: