Local Gentry
Music Discussion
The Association Admiration Aggregation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, the one you just posted from the Japanese reissue has an organ playing whole notes on the first verse, fuzz guitar playing whole notes on the second verse, and on the fade some clip-clop percussion.
The one i'm familiar with has none of that stuff, seems a little faster with a much jazzier drum track.

After hearing the Jap remaster, im convinced that that is the Boettcher produced version.
Charles LePage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
Here's another rarity for you all: "Caney Creek", an unreleased in the US outtake from the self-titled album Chuck is referring to...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2M6HHOVA

Thanks, Jason.
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Dude'll Doo wrote:
Well, the one you just posted from the Japanese reissue has an organ playing whole notes on the first verse, fuzz guitar playing whole notes on the second verse, and on the fade some clip-clop percussion.
The one i'm familiar with has none of that stuff, seems a little faster with a much jazzier drum track.

After hearing the Jap remaster, im convinced that that is the Boettcher produced version.

Is this the culprit?:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1Q3TEJH8
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Charles LePage wrote:
Jason Penick wrote:
Here's another rarity for you all: "Caney Creek", an unreleased in the US outtake from the self-titled album Chuck is referring to...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2M6HHOVA

Thanks, Jason.

No problem... Plenty more Association goodness on the way!
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

This is such a good time to get into these guys again, and in complete fashion. My fave thread here!!!!
You have a copy of the Crank Your Spreaders book, J?
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
This is such a good time to get into these guys again, and in complete fashion. My fave thread here!!!!
You have a copy of the Crank Your Spreaders book, J?

NO! One of my most sought-after eBay items. Just haven't been lucky enough to score one yet.

There was a guy named Dave Bulmer who had an awesome tribute site to the Association that Terry, Jules and Jim would come by and visit, and he had a copy of CYS posted online. Unfortunately his son got sent to Iraq and I think the story is he went batshit, took the site down and refuses to put it back online until his son comes home.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You won't believe this, but one time in the 80's, at this proto-99 cent store, Pic N Save, I came across a shipment of that book that somehow ended up there. All copies 49 cents each. I so wish I had bought a bunch of them. Unfortunately, I only got one. When I come across my copy in storage before I leave, I'll send it to you.
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
Dude'll Doo wrote:

Is this the culprit?:

yep, thats the one! Revisionist BS indeed!
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the two disc Association Jason! I've been loving it!
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Dude'll Doo wrote:
Jason Penick wrote:
Dude'll Doo wrote:

Is this the culprit?:

yep, thats the one! Revisionist BS indeed!

But still a great version. Strange they put that on the Itunes 1st album, though.
Xenu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:

Personally I think it's a wonderful collection. Can't remember if the singles mixes are mono or stereo, but as I own all the original albums on vinyl anyway it was nice to get a smattering of the best tracks in remastered stereo sound.

They're pretty much all stereo on the "Right Sound" compilation.

Irritatingly, "Right Sound" differs in its US and outside-of-US incarnations, and both are essential for completists, as each has exclusively tracks not available elsewhere.

I actually have some Association rarities if anybody's interested, of which the most notable is probably a nice mono needledrop of "Insight Out."
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

[quote="Xenu"]
Jason Penick wrote:

I actually have some Association rarities if anybody's interested, of which the most notable is probably a nice mono needledrop of "Insight Out."

Sounds great! Could you upload this?
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ATJ8UTW5

Here's the Association's final LP release, Waterbeds in Trinidad! I did a flat transfer of this myself from a cassette that I received in a trade long ago. (Good luck finding an original LP or the fabled Japanese CD reissue!)

Disregard the silly title and download this immediately. Produced by Lewis Merenstein, who also produced a little album known as Astral Weeks.

Highlights are plenty, but include a perfect version of Carole King's "Snow Queen" and John Stewart's "Little Road and a Stone to Roll". The latter features lead vocals from bassist Brian Cole who sadly died of a heroin overdose shortly after this album was released.

This was intended to be the Association's comeback album (they had recently left Warner Bros for Columbia) and they pulled out all the stops. Sadly, the death of Brian Cole killed the band. It was a real tragedy, as they could have continued on for another seven albums.

This is really the Association's Sunflower... High quality song and vocal contributions from every member of the band! Dig it and see if you don't agree.

Last edited by Jason Penick on Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jason Penick wrote:
Summ-a-Briz' wrote:
Upon listening to the vinyl rip of "Cherish" is struck me again just how incredibly gaudy that arrangement is. The out of tune five-or-six part block harmonies sound like a mountain of Valli's (and I dooooo/cherish youuuu)--and then the dissonant overtones of the churchbells with their attendant "bum bums," the lead guitar bits, etc, and you've got yourself a real mess. Dont get me wrong, I think it's a good song, but they really kill it by the end. That key change! AKK!

Confused

I love this album. And I love listening to Cherish, but I do feel like the velveeta factor is cranked on this tune. They overdo it so much, and the lyrics are just absurd. They start it off as this perfect spiritual love song, but it's so quickly revealed as the white sweat-sock of lust. I think just about every twist and turn in the last minute of the song is dreadful. Imagine slow dancing to this thing and having to suffer through that bridge. I dont feel this way about Message of Our Love, Along Comes Mary, Standing Still, etc. Let alone Ballroom or Sagitarrius (well, Musty Dusty, maybe).
Xenu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

[quote="Jason Penick"]
Xenu wrote:
Jason Penick wrote:

Sounds great! Could you upload this?

I could indeed. I'll do it later tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: