Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Syd's Floyd - BBC Sessions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Syd's Floyd - BBC Sessions If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hi all

Several months ago there was talk about improved audio versions of these sessions floating about. The sessions i refer to are two BBC radio sessions Syd's Floyd performed. The first included Scarecrow, Flaming, Matilda mother (I think), Set the controls & Reaction in G amongst others. The second is that incredible session from dec 67 comprisng Scream Thy Last Scream, Veg Man, POw R Toc H & Jugband Blues. The first session was rebroadcast at some point recently and I have heard a pristine Set The Controls, considerably better quality than ever before. Regarding the second session, apparently an earlier generation copy was unearthed which both sounds better and has the full Pow R Toc H (all known versions up until then had a truncated version.)

The Laughing Madcaps yahoo Group that produced the excellent "Have You Got It Yet" Syd&Floyd rarity comps said they had the tapes and would release them on a version 2 of HYGIY but that doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon.

Does anyone have a copy of these new improved session tapes that they may care to share?
Chris M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've got them. I'm off to work now but will post them tonight.
cubist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chris M wrote:
I've got them. I'm off to work now but will post them tonight.

You are a giant amongst men Mr M - and not for the first time! My day is hereby made! Cool Cool Cool Cool
jdavolt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hi all!
I've been thinking about this lately, with the coming Piper deluxe set...what all Floyd-with-Syd recordings are out there? I know there's the BBC stuff, a few rough live recordings...what all studio recordings still exist? Different mixes? I know, in addition to 'Piper', there's the first three singles (stereo and mono mixes for all?), "Vegetable Man" and "Scream Thy Last Scream" (a couple diff. mixes?), and "Jugband Blues", plus the two songs from some soundtrack...

What else is there? I know we've probably gone through this a thousand times. It'd be nice if the third disc of the new 'Piper' had all the surviving Floyd-with-Syd studio recordings, but from what I've heard, that won't be the case...
hope chest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

jdavolt wrote:
Hi all!
I've been thinking about this lately, with the coming Piper deluxe set...what all Floyd-with-Syd recordings are out there? I know there's the BBC stuff, a few rough live recordings...what all studio recordings still exist? Different mixes? I know, in addition to 'Piper', there's the first three singles (stereo and mono mixes for all?), "Vegetable Man" and "Scream Thy Last Scream" (a couple diff. mixes?), and "Jugband Blues", plus the two songs from some soundtrack...

What else is there? I know we've probably gone through this a thousand times. It'd be nice if the third disc of the new 'Piper' had all the surviving Floyd-with-Syd studio recordings, but from what I've heard, that won't be the case...

hell, as far as i know it's just mono and stereo versions of the album plus the singles. nothing new, save a couple of different edits of songs you already know. i don't recall any unreleased songs being slated for it.
Chris M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hang tight guys. The BBC stuff in the best circulating quality and other goodies will be up soon..
Chris M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

jdavolt wrote:

What else is there? ..

Here's a list of mainly unbooted studio stuff that has been confirmed to still exist. There is a Mark Lewisohn style book that chronicles all of Syd's recording sessions in incredible detail. That's the source of most of the below info. One difference is the Random Precison author wasn't able to listen to most of this stuff but he did have access to the Floyd's tape vault at Abbey Rd. Read it and weep..

Spring '65 demo tape - this is the Floyd's first recording session. Bob Klose is still in the band. Recorded at a professional studio. In addition to Lucy Leave and King Bee they recorded a track called Double O Bo and a Syd original called Butterfly.

10/31/66 - an early 16 minute version of Interstellar Overdrive is recorded at a home studio. A low quality version was used as the soundtrack to the obscure art film "San Francisco". A much better quality version exists but does not circulate.

1/29/67 Arnold Layne, Candy And A Currant Bun, a single 4 track reel from the session exists but we don't know exactly what is on it. At the very least it has several alternate takes of Arnold Layne. One of the takes has a "1st overdub". I'm guessing some final elements are missing. This was recorded at Sound Techniques and engineered by John Wood.

2/21-22/67 Matilda Mother, 4 track session tape, 5 of the 6 takes are complete. The only Piper session tape that survives.

2/23/67 Matilda Mother, Norman Smith rough mono mix of the best take done the previous night. This is interesting as it predates the edits that were done for the LP version. The first edit on the LP version is at around the 1 minute mark so everything after that is unheard material including unheard Syd vocals and possibly lyrics..

3/1/67 Chapter 24, alternate instrumental version. This survives as it was a finished backing track complete with overdubs and mixed (no vox though). They changed their mind the next night and started over.

3/1/67 Interstellar Overdrive unedited basic track. Interstellar was recorded live in the studio at the second Piper session. A mono mix was made and the first 5 minutes were used on the French Arnold Layne EP. 4 months later they decided it wasn't finished and the entire band recorded a single overdub on top of the 2/27 performance. This version (and the edited EP mix) is the first layer of it before the overdubs were added in June.

7/7/67 - Scream Thy Last Scream, 4 takes recorded and the session tapes survives. This is the basis for the booted version. That's Nick Mason on vox save for one line. The sped up vox are Syd.

7/8/67 - Set The Controls, 2 takes recorded and the session tapes survive. Yes, this is the backing track of the released version and Syd did take part in the session. Hmmm..

9/4/67 - Untitled, 7 takes of an untitled Syd original. This was done at Sound Techniques with John Wood as engineer. 60 seconds of one of the takes has been booted for ages. It starts with a mellatron playing something similar to the Opel intro and Syd plays a neat Byrds type riff. Very cool if I say so myself.

10/9-19/67 - Remember A Day, Vegetable Man, Jugband Blues, these were recorded at De Lane Lea and the session tapes survive. At least 3 takes of Vegetable Man survive, the one we all know, a garage rock style run through and an incomplete backing track with "lots of sound effects whizzing about"..

10/20/67 John Latham, In The Beechwoods, Instrumental, recorded at De Lane Lea. The track titled "John Latham" was an attempt at recording a soundtrack for underground filmmaker John Latham's film Speak. Latham rejected the soundtrack. Beechwoods is a backing track to a fantastic Syd original. Think See Emily Play. It's that good. No vocals though. Instrumental is 10 minutes long.

10/23/67 Early Morning Henry, back at Abbey Road. No one knows what this is. There is a note on the tape box that Norman Smith took this tape away "on a plastic spool".

10/23-24/67 - A 4 track reel of 8 alternate takes of Paintbox survives. There is also a unreleased version that has some unused Syd backwards guitar overdubs..
hope chest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info!
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The track listing for the new Piper is as follows

CD 1:
Astronomy Domine (Stereo Remastered)
Lucifer Sam (Stereo Remastered)
Matilda Mother (Stereo Remastered)
Flaming (Stereo Remastered)
Pow R Toc H (Stereo Remastered)
Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk (Stereo Remastered)
Interstellar Overdrive (Stereo Remastered)
Gnome (Stereo Remastered)
Chapter 24 (Stereo Remastered)
Scarecrow (Stereo Remastered)
Bike (Stereo Remastered)
CD 2:
Astronomy Domine (Mono Remastered)
Lucifer Sam (Mono Remastered)
Matilda Mother (Mono Remastered)
Flaming (Mono Remastered)
Pow R Toc H (Mono Remastered)
Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk (Mono Remastered)
Interstellar Overdrive (Mono Remastered)
Gnome (Mono Remastered)
Chapter 24 (Mono Remastered)
Scarecrow (Mono Remastered)
Bike (Mono Remastered)
CD 3:
Arnold Layne
See Emily Play
Apples And Oranges
Candy And A Current Bun
Paintbox
Interstellar Overdrive (Alternative Take 2)
Apples And Oranges (Stereo Version)
hope chest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan, do you know if these are remastered from the original tapes, or what the source(s) is/are? i seem to recall most of the tapes were lost to the sands of time but i could be mistaken.
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

'Fraid not - this is just the track listing from the CD-Wow site. That's all I know. Crying or Very sad
Chris M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hope chest wrote:
alan, do you know if these are remastered from the original tapes, or what the source(s) is/are? i seem to recall most of the tapes were lost to the sands of time but i could be mistaken.

Nearly all of the Piper multitracks and outtakes are gone but the mono and stereo masters are there.
Chris M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
Interstellar Overdrive (Alternative Take 2)

FWIW the released version is take 2 so this is likely the unique mono mix on the French Arnold Layne EP. If there is any justice in the world they will at least let the French EP version run to the end instead of fading it out at the 5:00 mark.
wind chime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Just saw the Roger Waters show last Saturday AMAZING SHOW!!!! HE had a huge backdrop of Syd during Shine On....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: