Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Syd's Floyd - BBC Sessions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dead parrot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chris M wrote:
I don't want to discount his mental problems but I think the reason some of the solo stuff sounds so rough is because he was loaded on Mandrax at some of those sessions. He sounds more together on tracks like Gigolo Aunt, the '70 and '71 BBC sessions, the live gig, etc.

I've often thought that Mandrax was at least as damaging to Syd, if not more so, than LSD. And i'm sure it's no coincidence that from what we can gather, Syd was using it quite heavily towards the end of 1967. But even so, when you think that Syd was smoking large amounts of marijuana, was apparently being spiked with acid on an almost daily basis, and was becoming a pretty heavy mandrax user. And then you combine that with the pressures of being Pink Floyd's frontman and chief songwriter, and not to mention the bands touring schedule, it makes you wonder how he managed to keep himself together as long as he did.
Chris M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Spin CD's posted an updated tracklisting of the Piper box and the 3rd disc now includes unreleased, unbooted performances of Matilda Mother and Interstellar Overdrive Shocked
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That is indeed cool. I'm sold.
cubist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chris M wrote:
Spin CD's posted an updated tracklisting of the Piper box and the 3rd disc now includes unreleased, unbooted performances of Matilda Mother and Interstellar Overdrive Shocked

Oh. My. Giddy. Aunt. I take all my criticisms back!
wind chime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Sounds great!
wind chime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Was a Saucerful of Secrets mixed in mono? Maybe it's time for the whole Floyd catalogue to get Deluxe album treatment? or at Least a Dark Side sessions box set etc...
cubist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

There was a mono saucerful mix made back in the day. I think that is the only other album that had a mono mix. Its also different to the stereo mix and in some cases preferable. The mono Remember a day is improved by not having Rick Wrights vocals wandering from speaker to speaker and the mono mixes of Jugband Blues and Corporal Clegg are noticeably different. Great album saucerful - though not the dark slab of psychedelia it could have been if Syd had survived in the band just a lttle longer. Imagine a Saucerful with Scream Thy Last Scream, Vegetable Man & In The Beechwoods. Hmmmmmmm!
audiodrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Just downloading this stuff now - thanks very much!
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Is there some way somebody could upload a lossless mono Piper? I have the '97 EMI edition, but several tracks skip. Which I am not happy about. Evil or Very Mad Anyway, I know it's a played request, but it would really help me out. Thanks.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Dude, you can't wait, like, a week? Wink
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Dude, you can't wait, like, a week? Wink

Never mind. I remedied the problem.

Is it next week the 40th set comes out? Oh, well. At present rate I won't be able to afford it anyway. Sad
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'll hook you up when I get the set.
Chris M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

A quick history of the Piper Interstellar sessions taken from the Random Precision book.

2/27/67 - 2 live in the studio takes of Interstellar Overdrive, both around 10 minutes long. Take 2 is marked 'best'. A mono mix of take 2 is issued on the French Arnold Layne EP where it fades a little after the 5 minute mark. Engineer Peter Bown has said they played so loud they broke 4 microphones at the session.

3/16/67 - 4 more takes recorded at this session labeled takes 3-6. This session was an attempt at recording a "short" version as a stand alone item. Save for a false start each version was around 5 minutes long. Nothing from this session was ever released or booted and the tape was thought to be long gone as the session tapes were junked. I guess this comes from an undocumented rough mix given to the band or an acetate. If take 6 really is issued it's a HUGE find IMO.

6/27/67 - the entire band records a live in the studio overdub onto take 2. A mix of take 2 with this overdub is on the stereo LP. The mono LP version has some organ during the intro and a burst of slide guitar that is not found on the stereo mix.
audiodrome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The BBC stuff sounds great - thanks Chris!

One question: after downloading them, I noticed that the tracks are labeled 02-11 with no number 01 - what was the first track?
Chris M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

audiodrome wrote:
The BBC stuff sounds great - thanks Chris!

One question: after downloading them, I noticed that the tracks are labeled 02-11 with no number 01 - what was the first track?

Track 1 was just the audio BBC Look Of The Week TV performance of Astronomy. I didn't want to cause any confusion by including it with the Top Gear tracks..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: