Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Syd's Floyd - BBC Sessions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nothing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chris M wrote:
As promised the 12/20/67 Top Gear session. This is from the best circulating source, runs at the correct speed, has not been subjected to noise reduction, and includes the complete Pow R Toc H.

Pow R Toc H is a fantastic performance. Notice how Syd quotes the Paul Butterfield Band's East-West during the guitar solo..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yxmjnv - Vegetable Man
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ct2pyi Scream thy Last Scream
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4kbamy Jugband Blues
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n98g2x Pow R Toc H

Thanks so much for these, Chris, brilliant stuff!!
But has anybody else had any problems downloading the previous bunch of six? I've been trying since the first day they were posted and keep getting the sorry our free service is full message. Over and over and over and over and over and over again...
Yet the four new tracks went thru' first time each.
What can this mean?!
Except of course, for the site pushing me to subscribe...

Any helpful hints received with much gratitude!
Chris M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I just tried them and they work for me. Not sure what the problem may be. I can repost them if needed..
The Nothing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chris M wrote:
I just tried them and they work for me. Not sure what the problem may be. I can repost them if needed..

Thanks so much for that thought, Chris, but it's obviously working for other grateful recipients - just some weird glitch from my end with these particular files - and I don't want you having to go that hassle purely for my benefit. I'll keep trying sporadically. My day will come. He said optometristically...

Ooooh, I just got Scarecrow!!

Patience is a virtue!!
The Nothing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

...and Reaction in G!!
cubist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

These are fabulous - thanks so much Chris!
The Nothing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Finally got 'em all!

(just thought you'd like to know....)
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

These cuts are great. Thanks, Chris. The last 2 nights I have put on Piper at bedtime. I have always loved Syd-era Floyd, but I have been most amazed recently at what a brilliant guitar player he was. I really don't know of anybody else who played quite like him. Totally unique and underrated in that respect.
hope chest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Captain Bringdown wrote:
These cuts are great. Thanks, Chris. The last 2 nights I have put on Piper at bedtime. I have always loved Syd-era Floyd, but I have been most amazed recently at what a brilliant guitar player he was. I really don't know of anybody else who played quite like him. Totally unique and underrated in that respect.

been listening to these and "piper" a LOT over the past couple of days and totally agree. no matter how much i listen to them, syd's guitar always sounds fresh.
dead parrot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I love the guitar sound that Syd was developing in the later half of 1967. It has a much more live feel to it, and he seemed to be using a wah-wah peddle quite a lot of some of the post Piper recordings too. It gives an interesting insight into where a Syd led Pink Floyd could have gone. For starters a second Pink Floyd album with Syd writing most of the songs, as well as playing guitar and singing, would have sounded nothing like PATGOD.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Capt. Bringdown wrote:

My fave guitar playing of Syd's is his Telecasterising on the Floyd London film. His playing there on Interstellar and Nick's Boogie is a real inspiration to me. He and the Velvets were really thinking along similar lines. I love Lanky as well.
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Capt. Bringdown wrote:

My fave guitar playing of Syd's is his Telecasterising on the Floyd London film. His playing there on Interstellar and Nick's Boogie is a real inspiration to me. He and the Velvets were really thinking along similar lines. I love Lanky as well.

I agree completely about the Velvets thing. I have thought that myself many times. And there really isn't much precedent for the way those guys played. I love the pure noise Syd gets, like the middle of "Pow R Toc H." His slide stuff too is so bizarre and onomotopaeic. "Interstellar Overdrive" on the album is riveting. And the sheer volume he played at, which you can hear on some boots, grabs me also.

I don't mean to single out Syd-era Floyd at the expense of the other stuff done later and without him, though I have been guilty of that in the past. The cult of Syd looms large to be sure.
dead parrot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:

The recent BBC show The Seven Ages Of Rock also made strong comparisons between The Velvets and Syd's Pink Floyd. Well worth checking out BTW.
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
I love Lanky as well.

Re: the solo stuff, I sometimes wonder if the fucked-up spontaneity of the performances was really that or if it wasn't some sort of reaction to the precision adopted by his former band. As he said, "their choice of material was always very much to do with what they were thinking as architecture students." But I think he probably was incapable of doing anything the same way twice anyway.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I definitely think he was "playing the role" to a certain extent, because he could be very focused when he wanted to be.
Chris M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I don't want to discount his mental problems but I think the reason some of the solo stuff sounds so rough is because he was loaded on Mandrax at some of those sessions. He sounds more together on tracks like Gigalo Aunt, the '70 and '71 BBC sessions, the live gig, etc.

I'll post some live '67 stuff later this week. I agree with Dead Parrot, Syd's guitar sound and playing was evolving in the second half of '67. I think his skills as a guitarist were improving. Some of his playing on the 9/67 Copenhagen show is incredible. Much more agressive with some killer solos..

Last edited by Chris M on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: