Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Smoke a Joint and Lose Your Mind (not in a good way)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
 Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Joel5000



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 195


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
I suffered negative effects from my days of smoking. It was only a brief period of my teen years, a couple of years on and off during high school, and I'm sure there are many who suffer no ill effects, but for me it opened a door in my head that I have never been able to fully close, although I have gotten better to an extent. I was not aware beforehand I had any problems mentally, nor did anyone take me aside and say, "Before you do this, you may want to know...". This is why legalization of cannabis is a bad idea. There are negative effects that need to be addressed. It's not one big mellow party. People with unknown pre-existing conditions who are not educated on the dangers of it will suffer greatly. I was a care-free kinda guy growing up, and then one day I got bent and spent about 6 months in seculsion, sleeping all day and crying most of the time, freaking out everytime the phone rang. I took baby steps and eventually pulled myself together and I got back out into the world. I probably would have come unglued at some point anyway, but the chemicals certainly helped expose my weaknesses. Thank God I never tried LSD.


Bubba, this is kind of a personal story, so its okay if you don't want to share anymore, but are you saying that you smoked pot one time, and then went into seclusion for 6 months? Did you continue smoking during this time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bubba Ho-Tep



Joined: 29 Jun 2007

Posts: 72
Location: Parts Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never met anybody who just tried pot once or twice who suddenly changed and went off the deep end.


Hi. Nice to meet you.

The first time was fine. I didn't really feel anything. After that I'd catch a hit from anything that was being passed around. I never got completely wrecked, just a couple of hits, this went on for a month or two. Then one night behind the burger king I went past my usual point of no return and did not like what I was feeling. I was like a spectator to the space-time continuum or I had entered the spirit world or something. So I cooled it for a while after that (like a couple of months). Then I picked it up again. It wasn't a daily thing, but I hung with a crowd who were into it, so I caught some here and there, and sometimes I had a terrific time, laughing and carrying on. Then one night at a friends aunt house I reached that point again and started feeling odd, I can't explain it. The effects started carrying over into the next day. I felt strange at school during the day. I stopped again, although I'm not sure how long. All I know is senior year I picked it up again for just a little while, although I would only take 3 hits and nothing more. Didn't have anymore problems, but then after graduation my friends were going outside to do it and my friends older brother was like, "hey, why don't you just stay here? You don't want to do that." So I never touched it again, but about a month later I suffered some sort of breakdown. I was in terrible agony every minute of the day. I slept until 3 in the afternoon, went to work until 11 or 12, and then stayed up until the sun rose. I pinned all my curtains down so no light would escape in case someone came looking to see if I was home. I saw Forrest Gump 9 times in the theater that summer. I was a mess. It was on and off for the summer of '94, but then between Jan-May of '95 I could barely function. I went to work, felt safe there, but in between feared for my life. It seems pretty silly to me now, but it was real, whatever it was. I felt it. Something went wrong with me. Yeah, it was probably always there, and it probably would have materialised on it's own eventually, but I was unaware of it, and didn't need it brought to the surface like that. No one should have to deal with that kind of thing.


Last edited by Bubba Ho-Tep on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lester Byrd



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 83


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The Grand Fromage wrote:
Yeah, but alcohol is a suppressant, and doesn't alter brian chemistry/function initially - so although one may end up an impaired alcoholic due to it killing off brain cells -worst case, its not likely to activate any dormant psychosis IMO.


Unless of course you have the genetic predisposition to alcoholism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
halleluwah



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 352


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The Grand Fromage wrote:
IanWagner wrote:
I agree, except that alcohol is legal and has the same pitfalls, only sometimes even more extreme.


Yeah, but alcohol is a suppressant, and doesn't alter brian chemistry/function initially - so although one may end up an impaired alcoholic due to it killing off brain cells -worst case, its not likely to activate any dormant psychosis IMO.
It definitely is while somebody is drunk. How many people seem to be peaceful and easygoing when they're sober, but suddenly become violent and unpleasant when they're drinking? Alcohol seems to take away the inhibitions to reveal behavior that is bubbling under the surface with somebody the rest of the time.
_________________
The Heat is on!

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joel5000



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 195


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba, from this story it sounds like it was over a month from the last time you smoked until you started having the symptoms. Why do you attribute it to the pot?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bubba Ho-Tep



Joined: 29 Jun 2007

Posts: 72
Location: Parts Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, I started getting depressed around July of '94. It was on and off until I quit forever in Oct. '94. A month or two after I stopped I got hit with something hard. Maybe I'm wrong in blaming it then. All I know is that those few times when I had too much I did not like the effects and I felt like I had lost my mind for awhile. I wasn't like that before. My friend even told me that he thought I was definitely a different person before and after I had used. I don't want to point the finger at it and say, "bad! bad!", but it definitely helped move things along. I was just maladjusted, I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IanWagner



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 1736


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah wrote:
The Grand Fromage wrote:
IanWagner wrote:
I agree, except that alcohol is legal and has the same pitfalls, only sometimes even more extreme.


Yeah, but alcohol is a suppressant, and doesn't alter brian chemistry/function initially - so although one may end up an impaired alcoholic due to it killing off brain cells -worst case, its not likely to activate any dormant psychosis IMO.
It definitely is while somebody is drunk. How many people seem to be peaceful and easygoing when they're sober, but suddenly become violent and unpleasant when they're drinking? Alcohol seems to take away the inhibitions to reveal behavior that is bubbling under the surface with somebody the rest of the time.


Exactly. I've seen the most peaceful sober person become the most violent drunk person as soon as the alcohol hit their bloodstream.

Alcohol is responsible for so many more deaths than every other drug combined it's not even funny.
_________________
"Just because I only have one leg doesn't mean I'm a CHUMP, man!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joel5000



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 195


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
The Grand Fromage wrote:
IanWagner wrote:
I agree, except that alcohol is legal and has the same pitfalls, only sometimes even more extreme.


Yeah, but alcohol is a suppressant, and doesn't alter brian chemistry/function initially - so although one may end up an impaired alcoholic due to it killing off brain cells -worst case, its not likely to activate any dormant psychosis IMO.
It definitely is while somebody is drunk. How many people seem to be peaceful and easygoing when they're sober, but suddenly become violent and unpleasant when they're drinking? Alcohol seems to take away the inhibitions to reveal behavior that is bubbling under the surface with somebody the rest of the time.


Exactly. I've seen the most peaceful sober person become the most violent drunk person as soon as the alcohol hit their bloodstream.

Alcohol is responsible for so many more deaths than every other drug combined it's not even funny.


None of which should prevent responsible adults from using alcohol in moderation. (says the person who started "The Beer Thread" Very Happy )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrtshpdbox



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 228


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
None of which should prevent responsible adults from using alcohol in moderation.

Yeah, or any other relaxant that strikes their fancy.
_________________
______
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. - Potter Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joel5000



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 195


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
Well, I started getting depressed around July of '94. It was on and off until I quit forever in Oct. '94. A month or two after I stopped I got hit with something hard. Maybe I'm wrong in blaming it then. All I know is that those few times when I had too much I did not like the effects and I felt like I had lost my mind for awhile. I wasn't like that before. My friend even told me that he thought I was definitely a different person before and after I had used. I don't want to point the finger at it and say, "bad! bad!", but it definitely helped move things along. I was just maladjusted, I guess.


It certainly sounds like the pot didn't help. I think that some of us simply don't tolerate some drugs well. I have a friend who can't take vicodin for pain, as it makes her feel "paranoid and crazy." I barely felt it the few times it has been prescribed for me. I have another friend that simply cannot drink. One drink and he turns bright red, starts sweating, and feels sick for days afterward. I think it all depends on our individual body chemistry, and I really don't think pot is inherently any more dangerous than the other substances.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joel5000



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 195


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

BTW, welcome back Fromage/Mathew! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IanWagner



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 1736


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Joel5000 wrote:
None of which should prevent responsible adults from using alcohol in moderation.

Yeah, or any other relaxant that strikes their fancy.


Exactly.
_________________
"Just because I only have one leg doesn't mean I'm a CHUMP, man!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IanWagner



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 1736


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
Well, I started getting depressed around July of '94. It was on and off until I quit forever in Oct. '94. A month or two after I stopped I got hit with something hard. Maybe I'm wrong in blaming it then. All I know is that those few times when I had too much I did not like the effects and I felt like I had lost my mind for awhile. I wasn't like that before. My friend even told me that he thought I was definitely a different person before and after I had used. I don't want to point the finger at it and say, "bad! bad!", but it definitely helped move things along. I was just maladjusted, I guess.


It certainly sounds like the pot didn't help. I think that some of us simply don't tolerate some drugs well. I have a friend who can't take vicodin for pain, as it makes her feel "paranoid and crazy." I barely felt it the few times it has been prescribed for me. I have another friend that simply cannot drink. One drink and he turns bright red, starts sweating, and feels sick for days afterward. I think it all depends on our individual body chemistry, and I really don't think pot is inherently any more dangerous than the other substances.


It does have its own specific dangers, but so do many legal substances. I've seen people literally freak on caffeine.
_________________
"Just because I only have one leg doesn't mean I'm a CHUMP, man!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Grand Fromage



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 185


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
IanWagner wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
The Grand Fromage wrote:
IanWagner wrote:
I agree, except that alcohol is legal and has the same pitfalls, only sometimes even more extreme.


Yeah, but alcohol is a suppressant, and doesn't alter brian chemistry/function initially - so although one may end up an impaired alcoholic due to it killing off brain cells -worst case, its not likely to activate any dormant psychosis IMO.
It definitely is while somebody is drunk. How many people seem to be peaceful and easygoing when they're sober, but suddenly become violent and unpleasant when they're drinking? Alcohol seems to take away the inhibitions to reveal behavior that is bubbling under the surface with somebody the rest of the time.


Exactly. I've seen the most peaceful sober person become the most violent drunk person as soon as the alcohol hit their bloodstream.

Alcohol is responsible for so many more deaths than every other drug combined it's not even funny.


None of which should prevent responsible adults from using alcohol in moderation. (says the person who started "The Beer Thread" Very Happy )


Well, I'm totally fucked in the head with PTSD symptoms and teetotal...however, I'm sick of fucking draught lemonade...my question to the panel is thus 'shall I start getting rat arsed this summer on ale shandies' Laughing

Yeah, ok, being serious, i know alcohol changes people, but the effects don''t usually lead to long lasting psychological changes in the way I see pot, mushrooms etc doing - they wear off over a short period of time, whereas the psycho-reactive type do tend to lead to recuring 'flashbacks' and worse, as with most kinds of serious mental trauma as the hard wiring creates new pathways. Anyway, if anyone wants to play russian roulette with one of the most precious gifts they have - their sanity (you miss it one it's gone!) that's their outlook. And yes, if everyone smoked pot on a friday night I'd be able to sleep safely at night without drunks and yobs staggering all over my street. Either this or make students illegal Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Grand Fromage



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 185


PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
BTW, welcome back Fromage/Mathew! Very Happy


Thank you very much Joel Wink I'm only here for a while - but should be back mid September -so consider it an honour I deemed your thread worthy of reply Wink Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


© 2007 Informe.com. Get Your Own Free Portal.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

PurplePearl_C 1.02 Theme was programmed by DEVPPL JavaScript Forum
Images were made by DEVPPL Flash Games