Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Ruby, My Dear

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Ruby, My Dear If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rdrzh9

Thelonious Monk with John Coletrane, "Ruby My Dear"

I want to share one of my favorite moments in musical history, and an important one for me.

This song--and more specifically, this recorded version of this song--almost single-handedly (if songs have hands) got me interested in jazz. When I was 17, I had this on an old cassette.

I just have to say, this is a beautiful song. And the solos here are gorgeous examples of improvisation, not just masturbation but true on-the-spot compositional glory. Both 'trane's and Monk's solos are transcendant for me.

And now you may feel free to take this thread wherever you like. A song that got you into something, Thelonious or 'trane, whether songs have hands or masturbation---musical, that is.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: