Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Post Yr Fave Guitar Solos-Audio If Possible
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Topic Tags 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Post Yr Fave Guitar Solos-Audio If Possible If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Fer fun.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Song: "I Want You Bad"
Artist: NRBQ
Album: At Yankee Stadium (1978)
Guitarist: Al Anderson
Solo Begins: 0:59

On this song, perhaps the greatest countrified power pop song since "Hold Me Tight", Big Al Anderson (formerly of the Wildweeds) reaches back for this twin killing. Hear how he snaps the double tracked notes close to the frets to get tension and a bit of harmonics before splitting into a full on Atkins-cum-Harrison double-stop finale with a quick and cordial Beatle exuent.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9j20p4

[/list]
trumpet sounds

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2egj5b

(Robert Christgau's favorite guitar solo)
Mark A. Moore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

ROCK AOUND THE CLOCK - Bill Haley & His Comets - 1954
Danny Cedrone's blazing solo (which he repeated from "Rock the Joint") threw down the gauntlet and changed rock guitar forever.

HOUND DOG - Elvis Presley - 1956
Finger picking greatness. Scotty Moore's second guitar break here is raucus as hell.

I'M LOOKING FOR SMONEONE TO LOVE - Buddy Holly & the Crickets - 1957
Capoed finger-picked blues licks, and smoking triplets.

ROCK ME MY BABY - Buddy Holly & the Crickets - 1957
Very influential finger-picked rockabilly solo breaks

Jan Berry / Jan & Dean Tribute
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

J-Diggety wrote:
Song: "I Want You Bad"
Artist: NRBQ
Album: At Yankee Stadium (1978)
Guitarist: Al Anderson
Solo Begins: 0:59

On this song, perhaps the greatest countrified power pop song since "Hold Me Tight", Big Al Anderson (formerly of the Wildweeds) reaches back for this twin killing. Hear how he snaps the double tracked notes close to the frets to get tension and a bit of harmonics before splitting into a full on Atkins-cum-Harrison double-stop finale with a quick and cordial Beatle exuent.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9j20p4

[/list]

Love this tune! Great solos, too.

I made a mix CD for Somebody Special once — this was the 1st track ...

Howev, I find these guys nigh intolerable minus Big Al. They bordered on way too fucking cute WITH, but without ... ?
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Mark A. Moore wrote:
ROCK AOUND THE CLOCK - Bill Haley & His Comets - 1954
Danny Cedrone's blazing solo (which he repeated from "Rock the Joint") threw down the gauntlet and changed rock guitar forever.

Finger picking greatness. Scotty Moore's second guitar break here is raucus as hell.

I'M LOOKING FOR SMONEONE TO LOVE - Buddy Holly & the Crickets - 1957
Capoed finger-picked blues licks, and smoking triplets.

ROCK ME MY BABY - Buddy Holly & the Crickets - 1957
Very influential finger-picked rockabilly solo breaks

Great choices!

Everyone else, too.
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Mark A. Moore wrote:

Man, YES! Listening to a cassette of 'Elvis Rockin On' in the car - that's the first track on the first side. It's like Scotty just slid out of the primordal ooze, grabbed the nearest guitar and started clanging away at it. Those first three 'chords' in that second solo are just... fuck.
"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
Don't Back Down

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

MARCELLA (live!!!) - from the Beach Boys "In Concert" album, love it!
seymour

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Gotta go with Midnight, Jimi Hendrix. There's some ESP in there, some felix culpa, some ThurstonLee foreshadowing....goosebumps every time. I love the guitar solo in Rock Around The Clock. I'm sitting here trying to deny the fact that I want to type Stairway To Heaven. Sinner's Swing. Theatre Is The Life Of You.

(EDIT: I cited Rock Around The Clock before I read it above. That's a testament.)
Chris D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
I love the guitar solo in Rock Around The Clock.

Kind of the beginning of "jazz-rock," isn't it?
seymour

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Chris D. wrote:
Quote:
I love the guitar solo in Rock Around The Clock.

Kind of the beginning of "jazz-rock," isn't it?

The descending chromatic thing, I guess. I've gotta admit when I read jazz-rock I think pejorative. It rocks like all get-out.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

you gotta remember that before the 1960s, frequently guitarists were good and had some training. Not just everybody had one, and there was no Neil Young strum songbook. Many had sheet music/jazz training. Again, jazz meant something different obviously in the 30s and 40s than it did later than that. But alot of old blues records have Nashville/New Orleans style playing.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ye Auld Fancy Ladde wrote:

Love this tune! Great solos, too.

I made a mix CD for Somebody Special once — this was the 1st track ...

Howev, I find these guys nigh intolerable minus Big Al. They bordered on way too fucking cute WITH, but without ... ?[/quote]

There a musician's band. Lots to love. Even when they are being cheesy, it's just because they're entertaining themselves. Studio-albums post Big Al, yeah, I might pass--but then again, I'm nobody's completist. Still though, any band with songwriting contributions from the great Terry Adams and Joey Spampanato can't be too bad. And live, I saw them post Big Al and they were a blast. We should probably thread em.

If I had their first 2 records I could get a good thread goin. But they are impossible to find.
dauntless9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

"What Do I Get" - The Buzzcocks

I'm serious! Some of my fave leads have one, maybe two notes in them.
Mr. Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've always loved Chris Bell's slide solo on Though I Know She Lies from the posthumous I Am The Cosmos album. A bit understated, somewhat soft, but I always get the feeling that every note is perfectly placed. After Big Star's distribution issues and battling drug/mental problems, he seemed to finally begin getting his life together before dying in a car accident. Truly one of the most tragic what-if stories in music.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/szedm8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: