Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Please help me with my Southern compilation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

In light of the Lynyrd Skynyrd discussion here - how's about 'Okie From Muskogee'?! Wink
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
In light of the Lynyrd Skynyrd discussion here - how's about 'Okie From Muskogee'?! Wink
Oklahoma isn't really 'south' per se though; that's more the lower plains region.

Strange, but I sort of actually like "Okie From Muskogee." I disagree with damn near everything it espouses personally, but there's something very appealing to me about a guy just laying it out there, saying, "fuck the current tenor of the times. This is who I am, and I'm not gonna change that for a bunch of hippies." Anyway, Merle has sort of recanted that song since then, saying that he's come to realize that the Vietnam war really WAS worth protesting, for instance. But at the time, that was a damn honest reflection of how he felt; as an anti-anti-Vietnam song, it's a hell of a lot better than "The Ballad of the Green Berets," for instance.
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah wrote:
Rob wrote:
Oklahoma isn't really 'south' per se though; that's more the lower plains region.

We're a lot more like the Southern region than Kansas/Nebraska in spirit though.
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jeff Mason wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
Rob wrote:

We're a lot more like the Southern region than Kansas/Nebraska in spirit though.
You're probably right. I just don't know that Oklahoma conjures what he's looking for with the comp, though. If he's looking for songs that make you think of hanging moss and the sort of lazy, humid southern summer mood, a lot of flat plains and blowing dust might be a little, er, dry for that mood. Nothing against Oklahoma; it's just not the same vibe.
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah wrote:
Jeff Mason wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
Rob wrote:

You're probably right. I just don't know that Oklahoma conjures what he's looking for with the comp, though. If he's looking for songs that make you think of hanging moss and the sort of lazy, humid southern summer mood, a lot of flat plains and blowing dust might be a little, er, dry for that mood. Nothing against Oklahoma; it's just not the same vibe.

That's the western half of the state. In the middle and as you move east, you get more of the trees, and it certainly is a laid back state. And we definitely get high humidity there all over; I realized how much my first summer back there after moving to Ohio.

And remember -- we get the Ozarks too; most of Wilson Rawls' works are set in Oklahoma, not Missouri or Arkansas.
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jeff Mason wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
Jeff Mason wrote:
halleluwah wrote:
Rob wrote:

That's the western half of the state. In the middle and as you move east, you get more of the trees, and it certainly is a laid back state. And we definitely get high humidity there all over; I realized how much my first summer back there after moving to Ohio.

And remember -- we get the Ozarks too; most of Wilson Rawls' works are set in Oklahoma, not Missouri or Arkansas.
Yeah, I guess. I live pretty close to the northeastern Oklahoma border--just an hour and a half or so--and it's PLENTY humid here, so I guess it's foolish to assume the climate would change that drastically in such a short space. I've only been down that way a couple of times, and that was when I was pretty small, so I don't remember much of the details.
third coast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Here's one of my nominations: "That's How I Got to Memphis" by the great Tom T. Hall, who deserves everyone's attention.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/um8x6w
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: