Local Gentry
Music Discussion
New order

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: New order If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I had an urge kicking around inside me and thought to start a New Order thread. Kind of going with a time line and a little history, but I don't know too much about them, which is how I think they wanted it, no encores, no faces, no mess. Maybe they don't get the critical rush anymore like they used to, but really important group for modern music: popular electronic, dance, hip-hop even. Wrote timeless pop tunes and stretched out on the dancefloor and rock landscapes. Anyone wants to pitch in, please

Rain pours down his neck and out through his trousers as he steps into the alley. Car lights smear the wet paving stones, wind blows the rain sideways now, whips his long mac into a fury. Clutching it tight to him he rounds the corner and is blasted by the sound churning in the ramshackle shack behind the house, yellow light is streaming through the window and
door. He stands and listens as the three

When Ian Curtis passed away, in spring, friend and livelihood lost, they had to call upon the spoken agreement they had made that if even one was to leave the group the name Joy Division would be stopped. But this implies that they kept on and they did, left as a trio first: Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook & Stephen Morris.

They record in the summer and do a few shows home as warm up and in the fall, they make it to the US on their own for a small tour, under new name, New Order. Which, depending on who you ask could have come from their great manager Rob Gretton (also sadly deceased) who came up with the new name from the paper. Or being fans of Stooges, from Ron Asheton's group. Anyways Nazi reference is denied and soon forgotten in the carefree direction the band would soon embark. Stevie and the JDs, Sunshine Valley Dance Band & The Eternal could have been it but weren't.

At first all three took turns singing, and the new member, Gillian Gilbert (also suggested by Gretton), she took a turn too but eventually Bernard was given the reins. For a while though an altogether different vibe, collective, and admittedly drifting, aimless.

New Order records new LP in December and in March a 7" single written as Joy Division, with Curtis lyrics and three piece music is released:

Ceremony b/w In A Lonely Place
Fac 33
March 1981

Ceremony, a very elegant song with vocals from Barney (as in Rubble) with In A Lonely Place being a dirge, tribal shuffling and mists seeping from the slab, painful really. But Ceremony is a classic, a strong song that will be a hit with audiences in '87 when Substance is toured, and lots don't even know its sad pedigree and dance.

Martin Hannett continued to produce, Peter Saville continued to make the sleeves.

In the fall another single is released, this time featuring Gillian:

Procession b/w Everything's Gone Green
Fac 53
September 1981

Procession, is driving, and Gillian's presence is felt in the keys and vocals. Makes the sound different, more forward looking than the first LP, a real underrated New Order song, although sometimes everything pre-Blue Monday gets overlooked but those songs shouldn't. With Everything's Gone Green (EGG!) is this the first time they use computer-generated sound or is it only the 12" released later in the year? Sounds the same, so I say yes.

And with Gillian they re-record Ceremony with the warmer, drier sound, I think only released as a 12" this is also the version released on Substance. In 2005 when they put out the Singles comp that was the first time the early version was on CD.

And next 'Movement' after being 'Still'.

NO pack #1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rje56v

Ceremony 7" version from Singles (2005)
In A Lonely Place 7" version MISSING

Ceremony 12" version from vinyl
In A Lonely Place 12" version from vinyl

Procession 7" version from Singles & vinyl
Everything's Gone Green 7" version from Singles & vinyl
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Right on. Love New Order. Becky will love this thread.
alan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Great records. Ceremony was one of my most played singles, as it was startlingly good. Procession was a fine song too, but it was Everything's Gone Green that was the most representative of the way they developed.

I remember there was a Benelux only release of that track with some other songs - can't remember what they were now.... Crying or Very sad

I got all of the singles up to....I'll have to check later, I certainly got the original run of Blue Monday sleeves (they issued cheaper versions later without the cutout), and a few after that. It was very annoying that the original single of Ceremony wasn't otherwise available on the 12" as the new version was nowhere near as good.

I see the band are having a bit of a dispute at the moment along the lines of Waters and Pink FLoyd, with Hooky saying the group is finished and the other two wanting to carry on. Hmmmm....
Chris M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Great post!! One of my favorite moments in all music is when Ian Curtis' vocals just explode from out of nowhere on the live version on Still. The New Order versions are great as well. I get chills and teary eyed just reading the lyrics..

Oh I'll break them down, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, its got to be this time,
Avenues all lined with trees,
Picture me and then you start watching,
Watching forever, forever,
Watching love grow, forever,
Letting me know, forever..
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks Nick! New Order are another on my list of "bands i really should make an effort to get into". Love your writing, as always
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Brilliant thread idea, Nick! I've been listening to Substance since I loaded it on the ipod. Love 'em. Lowlife is still my favourite (favorite).
alan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Becky wrote:
Brilliant thread idea, Nick! I've been listening to Substance since I loaded it on the ipod. Love 'em. Lowlife is still my favourite (favorite).

Ah, getting used to the stupid american spellings already!

Make sure you educate those kids the right way! Laughing Lets see lots of colour! Lets have those unneccessary U's put back into the North Carolina curriculum! Laughing
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Fantastic band.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
Fantastic band.

Yes, but it looks like they're going the way of The Beach Boys!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6923972.stm
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Dunno about that new track on a current TV advert showing here!
When they were good, they were damn good. There's a real warmth about them- something to do with Peter Hook's bass sound.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I couldn't help wondering at the time whether when Peter Hook was married to Caroline Aherne - did she ever dress up as Mrs Merton when they were, y'know...in bed together?! "Oooh! Hooky!" Not that that would be anything that would appeal to me, mind! Definitely not!
alan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
Fantastic band.

Yes, but it looks like they're going the way of The Beach Boys!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6923972.stm

And New Order without Hook's bass sound would not really be the same thing at all.

(though I thought that about The Who and they managed OK after Entwistle...)
dejaboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Becky wrote:

One often hears the phrase..."this band/record changed my life" and there is often a cringe factor when that band is then mentioned...but New Order changed my life, and specifically "Lowlife". I was a NYC punker/new wave kid who heard the crashing zoom of Blue Monday's revolution of punk and beats through the sound system of the uptown club Hurrah...forever changed my ears. Then specifically Lowlife spoke to me in so many languages at differnt key low points in my late 80's self...it was and is equal parts mopey and heroic...something about those neo-ecstacy feels and the haze of Voyetra-8 based analoguey keyboard washes and Bowie-ism guitars. And Bernard's lyricism of the times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: