Local Gentry
Music Discussion
New England, enjoy KG

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luther

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: New England, enjoy KG If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The Boston Celtics finally acquired Kevin Garnett from the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, their 2009 pick and the Wolves' own (likely) 2010 pick back from an earlier deal.

I can say that you will absolutely love KG, one of the smartest, least selfish and hardest-working players in basketball (not to mention a freakish talent).

And as a Minnesotan, I am excited to see so many new faces, especially Jefferson and Green. And the picks and cap relief will sure help, too.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Garsh dang, literally ANYONE can come out of the East next year at this point. Hell, the Celts could make the Finals a year after being an utter embarassment to their legacy, and to the league period.
luther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

They really could. Point guard is an issue with only talented-but-young Rajon Rondo, but frankly, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and KG can all handle and pass very well for their position. Center is not a strength, but Perkins is a nice complement to KG: strong, purely a post player and doesn't need the ball.

Minnesota is interesting, too, although it will be tough in the West. Suddenly we're (I'm a Minneapolitan) extremely young and pretty talented. We might be awful, but at least we'll be optimistic.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Susan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was SO psyched for the Celtics when i heard about that deal - they desperately needed some credibility, and Garnett gives them that and then some.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

this deal was only a no-brainer for the heavily unpopular Ainge, and the aging Pierce, who want to win now.

Otherwise, the word on the street is that Jefferson might not be worth parting with. He's a scoring/rebouning-plus guy in his early 20s that has quickly improved into a soon to be perrenial All-Star.

Fans here are a bit concerned that Garnetts best days are behind him. However, there's no doubt that this will give the C's the credibility and ticket sales that they need to attract fans and players.

Suffice to say, we wouldnt be having this conversation had they gotten Oden or Durant.

Gerald Green's a great young player too. Telfair is a scrap heap guy most likely.
Susan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think Ryan Gomes is out of Providence College. I remember him as a scrappy little guy, decent shooter, but not a difference maker.
luther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Susan wrote:
I think Ryan Gomes is out of Providence College. I remember him as a scrappy little guy, decent shooter, but not a difference maker.

You're very right about all of the above.

As for KG being past his prime...maybe, but not by much. And as a big, the thing is, as he loses a little of his once-unbelievable quickness and athleticism (for his size), he can always become more of a true post player. So he could easily be at least a high-level player for the remainder of his contract, if not a superstar. Even more so when you consider how intelligent he is on the court. His game is more than just running and jumping: and his passing ability and mid-range jumper aren't going to disappear with age.

- Frank Zappa
Susan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I grew up with Art Spector as my next-door neighbour; he was an original Celtic. I"m not a huge fan of the pro game, and when i am i'm more inclined to favor the Knicks or, heaven help us all, the Nets, but there is a mystique to the Boston franchise that makes them special, and i could totally be a Celtics fan if they could get it together. Garnett could be the guy who does that for them...and for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: