Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Neil Young Uploads, Requests Welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Yeah, it's the 74 On The Beach take.
Who all plays on it? Sounds like Keith, Molina, and Talbot to me. Either way, it's one of the best things I've ever heard by him. He just sounds devestated on there.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

If you look at your copy of On The Beach, it's the same lineup as Walk On.
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Neil Young
Saratoga Performing Arts Center
Saratoga Springs, NY
August 10, 1997

Another summer, another Neil Young show. I had just seen Neil the previous summer, in the same venue, with the Horse, no less, and here he was, back again, this time as the headliner of the Horde Festival. It was the summer of 1997. I had just turned 21 and things were moving along just fine. I had some money in my pocket from washing dishes at the German restaurant, I was completely submerged in Radiohead’s OK Computer, and I was enjoying my free-livin' life.

I had not been to one of these hip day long festivals before. I had no interest in the grunge crowd, the dirty hippies, or those Lollapallooza freaks. But when I caught wind that Blues Traveler was passing the Horde torch to Neil Young and, in addition, such fine acts as Beck, Ben Folds Five, Primus, and Kula Shaker were on the bill, well, it didn’t take long for me to cough up the cash to attend. And it wasn’t that expensive, if I remember. Shit, a show like this would probably be over $100 these days.

Anyway, the Horde Festival was a happening. We got there at 11 in the morning. We left around 10 or 11 in the evening. There were 3 stages: the main stage, the secondary stage, and then a small “jamming” stage, where at any given time any given member from any given band could show up and just do whatever they felt like. At some of the early shows on the tour, Neil Young himself came out and played a small set. No barricade. No security. You could get right up next to the players and watch them make music. It was fantastic, and I spent the majority of the day there, to hell with Toad the Wet Spocket and Soul Coughing.

Of course, on this day, Neil Young was nowhere to be seen, but as we waited at the stage for something to happen, I caught sight of a haggard looking man getting off of a golf cart. Yep, it was our very own Billy Talbot from Crazy Horse. Armed with his acoustic guitar, he played a handful of self penned songs and sang them in his gravely voice. Way cool. Later on a group of players showed up with their electric instruments and jammed old school for an hour. You had the drummer from Toad the Wet Sprocket, the bass player from Ben Folds Five and the bass player from Morphine, the guitarist from Kula Shaker, and others all on one small unprotected stage making music just for the goddamn hell of it. Awesome.

The first major act to take the main stage was Primus. Many who were there will tell you Primus stole the show, and they might be right. They certainly put the audience into a frenzy. They blew the roof off the joint, and the crowd went nuts. The barricades up near the stage buckled and security held on for dear life trying to keep them up. Les Claypool and company delivered big time.

Fled over to the secondary stage then for Kula Shaker. I only watched a portion of the set, because I wanted to be in place for when Beck took to the main stage. Beck was still supporting Odelay at this time. He played a great set, full of lights, choreography, costumes, and fun.

Don’t stop to catch your breath, ‘cause Ben Fold Five were headlining the second stage at the other end of the facility. We hauled ass over there to catch another amazing set. Such power, all from a piano, bass, and drums. These guys were really good and I dug them. But I couldn’t watch the whole set, because the stars were coming out and the headliner was getting ready to emerge on the main stage.

At last. After roasting in the sun for 9 hours with nothing to eat or drink, the moment had come for Neil Young and Crazy Horse to take the stage and give the hippie grunge people a taste of old school rock and roll, Crazy Horse style. Neil started his set with three long epics, Slipped Away, from his then most recent release Broken Arrow, an excruciatingly powerful and mesmerizing “Down by The River”, that seemed to last 20 minutes, and then “Crime in the City”. That was pretty much the first 45 minutes of the show. Then Neil did a brief acoustic set of “Hank To Hendrix”, “Needle”, and “Ohio”. Then the Horse returned to rip through “Throw Your Hatred Down”, “Hey Hey My My”, “Sedan Delivery”, “Piece of Crap”, and then they packed it in with an insane 12 minute rendition of “Mansion on the Hill”, which dissolved into feedback drenched chaos. Incredible stuff.

Our minds were blown. And in more ways than one. I was on the road about 10 minutes from my house when I started to feel…funny. By time I got home I thought I was going to die. Sunstroke, baby. I ate some Keebler Chocolate Graham cookies to regain my strength and passed out on my bed fully dressed. Yikes. Take it from me, keep yourself watered and cool when attempting to attend a day long music festival, of course only a millionaire could afford them $5 bottled waters. My hearing was shot for like 4 days. But it’s one of my favorite memories. An unbelievable lineup of musicians. A really great day.

Oh, and here is the audio from Neil Young’s portion of the show. It’s A+ soundboard quality. It’s not the same as being there, on that warm summer night, gazing up at the stars while Neil and The Horse weave their road weary web of mystery, but it’s close enough. Enjoy.

1.Slipped Away
2.Down by the River
3.Crime in the City
4.From Hank to Hendrix
5.The Needle and The Damage Done
6.Ohio
7.Throw Your Hatred Down
8.Big Time
9.Hey Hey My My
10.Sedan Delivery
11.Piece of Crap
12.Mansion on the Hill

Disc 1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d1xpx6

Disc 2

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pg3sun
halleluwah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Damn. This looks great, Bubba; thank you so much for upping the show. Great account of the event as well.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
Tuxedo Kiddd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
You had the drummer from Toad the Wet Sprocket, the bass player from Ben Folds Five and the bass player from Morphine, the guitarist from Kula Shaker, and others all on one small unprotected stage making music ...

"If you want to pet that old hound dog, make sure he ain't rolled in shit ..."

Wink
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Awesome writing as always, Bub.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Fer Joel (and everyone), Neil and Bluenotes live compilation:

http://rapidshare.com/files/42573707/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_1.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/42595614/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_2.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/42601254/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_3.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/42606713/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_4.zip
Joel5000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Sweet! Thanks man!
alan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Fer Joel (and everyone), Neil and Bluenotes live compilation:

http://rapidshare.com/files/42573707/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_1.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/42595614/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_2.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/42601254/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_3.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/42606713/87_88_Tour_Comp_part_4.zip

This is now at Infinite Foolishness - did they copy these links from here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: