Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Neil Young Uploads, Requests Welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah man! I know that show'll be awesome, wish I could be there, damnit!
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I have a recording of a show I saw in '97, I think, it was the Horde Festival show in Saratoga Springs, NY. Kick ass version of Down By The River. Slow and mercyless. It's a soundboard recording. My music and my computer are not in the same location, but I'll make a note and try to deliver the goods next time I get a chance.
Leo K

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
I have a recording of a show I saw in '97, I think, it was the Horde Festival show in Saratoga Springs, NY. Kick ass version of Down By The River. Slow and mercyless. It's a soundboard recording. My music and my computer are not in the same location, but I'll make a note and try to deliver the goods next time I get a chance.

Bubba, I'd love to hear this too Cool

http://georgannename.blogspot.com/
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ian thanks for uploading these. I cant wait to be able to download.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I am floored by that choir like version of Don't cry. And I only started listening. Goosebumps.
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Leo K wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:

Bubba, I'd love to hear this too Cool

I'll be posting the show tomorrow afternoon.
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I know this has been mentioned before but does anyone have the original Tonights The Night - ie with the dialogue inbetween? Does it exist as a boot? Or is it still just a legend?
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No, it's never been booted in that form. There is an acetate of one of the early versions, but it's pretty terrible, awful song selection.
alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
No, it's never been booted in that form. There is an acetate of one of the early versions, but it's pretty terrible, awful song selection.

Ah well, that's something to look forward to in the future anyway - Archives? Sometime in the late 25th Century along with Warp drive?
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Are you going by the description from Shakey? Or is there someplace else this info is available? What are the terrible song selection choices you're talking about?

From the way it was described by McDonough, despite what David Briggs might have thought, I think the released Tonight's the Night is probably a stronger album, if for no other reason than the inclusion of "Borrowed Tune" and "Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown," which I have always found to be two of the most powerful moments on there. I do wish the raps had stayed on there in some form, but in terms of song selection and running order, I prefer the released album to the cassette copy whose tracklisting McDonough describes.

I think pretty much everybody assumes that some version of TTN with the raps on it will eventually come out as part of the Archives, though. I hope so, anyway.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No, I was describing the TTN Acetate bootleg, which is not the version with the raps.
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
No, I was describing the TTN Acetate bootleg, which is not the version with the raps.
Oh. Never heard it. What is on that one?

IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sidestreetrecords.com/articles/acetateTonightsThe.html
halleluwah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
http://www.sidestreetrecords.com/articles/acetateTonightsThe.html

That is a really weird, bizarre tracklisting. Glad they reconsidered.

This bit stuck out at me, though:

Quote:
The still-unreleased "Bad Fog Of Loneliness" is next. How this February 6, 1971 Crazy Horse track ended up in this project has been debated for years, but the mood & performance fits seamlessly with the Santa Monica Flyers cuts. This slow, plodding recording is classic Crazy Horse, highlighted by the "dueling" lead guitars of Old Black (Neil) & the sweet pedal steel guitar (Ben Keith).

That date simply has to be a mistake, right? There's no way in hell that recording comes from 1971, especially February, when he was in the midst of the solo acoustic tour. Did he even KNOW Ben Keith yet at that point? I've always wondered about that version of "Bad Fog," though. It is supposedly from '74, right? But it does sound for all the world like a Santa Monica Flyers track from the '73 sessions.

IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the 74 On The Beach take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: