Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Neil Diamond
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

audiomark wrote:
Dude'll Doo wrote:
I fucking love"America". It's so bombastic and overblown, only Neil could get away with something like that.

I just see in my mind the scene from that horrible "Jazz Singer" remake where Neil is on stage singing that song. The crowd is going wild and one of the great actors in history, Sir Lawrence Olivier, is getting into it. He must have needed a paycheck badly that year to play in that movie. Even the high campiness of Neil in blackface and a fake afro, earlier in the film can't save it for me. Love a lot of his songs, mostly the early stuff, but his "heavy balladeer, glitter shirt " phase always left me cold. In it's own way, again IMO, as hard a fall from grace as Elton's.

Dont forget Lucie Arnaz!
IanWagner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/imw4u8

The first two Neil Diamond albums, on Bang records. Plus all the extras from the later cash-in LP's, such as Do It.
Pat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Suhweet, thanks.
audiomark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, Been saying that a lot over the last couple weeks. I have most of these tracks, albeit on less than perfect vinyl. These songs were produced by Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, not only with a great pop sense but also a sense of fun. Neil seemed to burn to be taken seriously as an "artiste" and moved over to the UNI/MCA label after these tracks were released and did their chart time. The more serious he became, contrived or not, the less interesting he became. As I mentioned in an earlier post he did some great stuff for UNI. My personal favorite was the "Stones" Lp. Nice original songs and some well done covers. Probably my favorite version of Cohen's "Suzanne" is on that Lp. All his UNI albums had something good on them but were spotty. As far as his Columbia period,"the "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" soundtrack sucked, IMO, I lost interest after the Robbie Robertson produced "Beautiful Noise" because he cultivated that whole "glitter shirt" MOR balladeer image.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Been trying to download all day and failed. Maybe I willmore lucky tonight.
analogdemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I like what Neil Diamond I've heard. I was at a local Newbury Comics once and they were playing a compilation of his. The clerk and I started talking about it and he referred to Neil as "the Jewish Elvis". Laughing
dauntless9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
"The Neil Diamond Room"
Genius!

Damn, I'm confined to bed with a 103 degree temp for a few days and when I come back and the first thing I read is "The Neil Diamond Room". Laughing

- "Hey, I'm a big fan of hard panning, what can I say."
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well I still havent been able to download, each time I try I get the service at ful capacity shite.
dauntless9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
Well I still havent been able to download, each time I try I get the service at ful capacity shite.

That was probably just me. Embarassed

I'm done now.

Thanks Ian! Cool

- "Hey, I'm a big fan of hard panning, what can I say."
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nope. Still cant get it, but thanks for letting me know Smile
hope chest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

here's a couple of coke jingles neil did for radio right around the same time as these bang records albums.

http://download.yousendit.com/62EE11D834A30BCB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: