Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Neil Diamond
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrtshpdbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, you've got me curious; when I'm home later (where youtube isn't blocked), I'll take a look. I've never understood the appeal.

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. - Potter Stewart
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

mathew wrote:
i just never got the 'cheesy joke' that most musicians and friends I know dismissed him as.

It may not be fair but I think I understand why. In the 1970s he was a sequin shirt wearing MOR balladeer. Or that's how it came over. I'm sure he was, at least in part, marketed that way. My mum liked him. That was his core audience. He just wasn't part of the rock zeitgeist of the time. '12 Songs' is a brilliant album though. Far better than 'Modern Times' in my view. I was completely stunned by how good an album it is.
hope chest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

i know a lot of folks who cannae reconcile the 60s neil who wrote tunes for the monkees and the 70s neil who wore the glittery shirts. and to be honest, neither description is 100% fitting.
hrtshpdbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
My mum liked him. That was his core audience. He just wasn't part of the rock zeitgeist of the time.

That's it, exactly. My Dad liked him, I was listening to The Doors.

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. - Potter Stewart
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Rob wrote:
My mum liked him. That was his core audience. He just wasn't part of the rock zeitgeist of the time.

That's it, exactly. My Dad liked him, I was listening to The Doors.

Of course, that doesn't mean you weren't missing something of worth. All that glitters is not gold but perhaps Neil's shirts were?
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm listening to Velvet Gloves And Spit in preparation for what Ian's gonna lay on us - what a wonderful album. It's breezy and dramatic at the same time! Getting into him is one the best musical things to happen to me in the last year or so. There's something really comforting about a Neil Diamond song. Holly Holy was my anthem for giving up smoking. Every time i fancied one, i just blasted that instead Very Happy
audiomark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

From about '66-'73 Neil was a somewhat guilty pleasure of mine.He wrote and recorded some really great songs. At times he drifted into writing long form suites and concept type albums. I'm thinking of the horrible IMO "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" soundtrack and I think a large section of "Taproot Manuscript" if memory serves. Of his later period I liked "Love on the Rocks" but that song "America" is just pure crapola, again IMO. I Like all the Bang era material, liked "Hot August Night". Neil will always suffer in comparison to Dylans,Townsends, Lennon & McCartneys, of his era but hell, who doesn't?
hrtshpdbox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

Of course, that doesn't mean you weren't missing something of worth.

It's a virtual certainty that I'm missing something of worth, all the time.

zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

"The Neil Diamond Room"
Genius!
Dude'll Doo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I fucking love"America". It's so bombastic and overblown, only Neil could get away with something like that.
Leo K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

zelilgirlI1ncenu wrote:
"The Neil Diamond Room"
Genius!

YES.

http://georgannename.blogspot.com/
Pat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

What would be danderific would be if someone could either post a great introductory comp OR if that's a wee presumptious, at least lay out a good 15-20 song list that I could DL to get a taste.
audiomark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Dude'll Doo wrote:
I fucking love"America". It's so bombastic and overblown, only Neil could get away with something like that.

I just see in my mind the scene from that horrible "Jazz Singer" remake where Neil is on stage singing that song. The crowd is going wild and one of the great actors in history, Sir Lawrence Olivier, is getting into it. He must have needed a paycheck badly that year to play in that movie. Even the high campiness of Neil in blackface and a fake afro, earlier in the film can't save it for me. Love a lot of his songs, mostly the early stuff, but his "heavy balladeer, glitter shirt " phase always left me cold. In it's own way, again IMO, as hard a fall from grace as Elton's.
audiomark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Pat wrote:
What would be danderific would be if someone could either post a great introductory comp OR if that's a wee presumptious, at least lay out a good 15-20 song list that I could DL to get a taste.

Dip your toe in the water with the MCA "12 Greatest Hits" for a quick overview. If it's still in print the aforementioned "Stones" album will give you one of his best classic period studio albums. The "Hot August Night " album is one of my favorites as far as showcasing him live, in his prime, pre "glitter shirt". I think there is a box with all his Bang/MCA material out there but I haven't snagged it yet. The later stuff is spotty for me, so I never bothered with it too much.
whyzacre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil Diamond If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
A Modern-Day Version of Love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtndJRxX7kI

If you can watch this and not reaise what a genius this guy is, there's no hope for you.

Not as good as my karaoke version of Sweet Caroline, but it works! Wink

Here's the polar opposite. What happened?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cG7_jheC8A&mode=related&search=

Pantsuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: