Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Motown Sharing Continues!!! (The Man Can't Bust Our Music).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

this thread is great and would be great without the downloads even.
How complete is this thread, to your awareness?

I'm thinking about taking all of these albums and putting them in a book for my dad for Christmas. This is just stuff that money "could" buy, but at what cost Shocked
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The info on albums released is complete so far. When I don't have the album, I at least mention the release, generally on the last one of each year.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Complete including Tamla and Gordy?

Oh, by the way, I must relate this story.
Before I was really into recording and production (as opposed to just playing music) I went to this Motown exhibit at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI.

They had as part of this exhibit small mixing booth with a 4 track version of Marvin's "Heard it Through The Grapevine." I don't know how legit the 4-track version was, but it was the real tune, in 4 isolated channels.

As I stood there, raising and dropping the levels on the bass and drums, or the guitar, or the lead vocal, I was converted to a new world of musical possibility. That bassline is some powerful stuff.
halleluwah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Summ-a-Briz' wrote:
Complete including Tamla and Gordy?
A pretty big chunk of the stuff he's posted/mentioned HAS been on Tamla and Gordy. So I'd assume so.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Motown, Tamla, Gordy, Soul and all of em.
halleluwah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Summ-a-Briz' wrote:
Before I was really into recording and production (as opposed to just playing music) I went to this Motown exhibit at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI.

They had as part of this exhibit small mixing booth with a 4 track version of Marvin's "Heard it Through The Grapevine." I don't know how legit the 4-track version was, but it was the real tune, in 4 isolated channels.

As I stood there, raising and dropping the levels on the bass and drums, or the guitar, or the lead vocal, I was converted to a new world of musical possibility. That bassline is some powerful stuff.
By the way, that's a really cool idea for an exhibit; I wish I could see something like that. I'm a huge sucker for explorations of multitrack tapes, getting a chance to pick out the little small nuances in tracks that I thought I knew inside and out already. It's revelatory. You know those "Classic Album" DVD docs? For the most part, I could take or leave the actual documentary bits, but there tends to always be a section in which some producer/band member will sit there at a console listening to the multitracks, soloing individual tracks and revealing stuff that I'd never heard. I could easily just watch stuff like that for hours at a stretch. The thought of listening to a Jamerson bass performance, especially one as iconic as "Grapevine," is just mind-blowing to me. That man was just a complete diety of groove. To (badly) steal/paraphrase from Dennis Wilson, Jamerson IS the bass guitar; all of us other bass players after him are just his messengers.

Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes, I intentionally haven't changed the strings on my dirty old Guild bass for 12 years. Because, as James says, "the funk live in the strings."
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
"the funk live in the strings."

If you don't make that your sig, I will.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Summ-a-Briz' wrote:
Yes, I intentionally haven't changed the strings on my dirty old Guild bass for 12 years. Because, as James says, "the funk live in the strings."
Laughing

Yup. I generally only change my bass strings when I break one (it DOES happen to me once every couple of years or so). I HATE the sound of really new, poppin'-sounding bass strings --makes everything you play sound like Flea or that guy from Korn--and I play a Rickenbacker, which is PLENTY trebly already, without having to change strings for the tonal attack.

Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

check out the length of that ash on James' cig. You know that was a man that used the gravity method of ashing when he played that thing, in doors even.
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Summ-a-Briz' wrote:
this thread is great

I agree. Good work, IW.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1idxp2

February 1966. After the relative failure of Nothing But Heartaches, HDH/Supremes' next 45 was the ambitious and brilliant I Hear A Symphony, which restored the group to the #1 spot. The next regular pop LP for the group was assembled around it from the ashes of an unreleased album recorded the previous year entitled There's A Place For Us, which consisted entirely of orchestrated pop standards.
Taking the Symphony theme, the replacement LP was split between one side of lush cover material, and one side of "pop" material.
Side one has limp, overblown versions of things like Stranger In Paradise and Without a Song, with Symphony messily placed in the middle. Side two contains some fine second-string Supremes material, as well as a cover of The Toys' A Lover's Concerto, which also fits with the Symphony theme. The side begins with their next single, My World Is Empty Without You, another classic which strangely only made #5 on the charts. HDH would take the rhythm pattern from the song and do even better with it next time.
Overall, this is a messy, schizoid, unmemorable album with a couple conspicuous high points.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oh yeah, also released in 1965 were the soundtrack of Nothing But A Man, Motortown Revue In Paris and LPs by Earl Van Dyke and the Soul Brothers, Billy Eckstine and Willie Tyler and Lester.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oops, just located this missing delight:

http://sharebee.com/682d95ee

November 1965. In summer 1965, the Motortown Revue made a trip to Europe, along the way filming the classic The Sounds Of Motown Ready Steady Go! special, and then recording this great LP in Paris. Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Miracles and Stevie Wonder, all backed by the great Earl Van Dyke and the Soul Brothers. A wonderful snapshot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: