Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Maria Mckee - Live

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primey Prime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Maria Mckee - Live If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

On record she’s mighty fine, but in a live setting, she’s dazzling.

Here, on this disc, she’s impassioned. She sings wonderfully, but shrieks when necessary, as she is showcasing her 1996 album, ‘Life is Sweet’. It’s not in her country style, nor in the pop style of later albums. It has the distorted rock guitars of LIS, and the theme is love as brutal, delirious addiction.

Present are the dark, brooding ballads, ‘Breathe’ (from her debut album, but it fits perfectly here) and ‘I’m Awake’, sung in a voice more tender and caressing than on other recordings I’ve heard.

A cover of John Cale’s ‘If You Were Still Around’, follows, and is stunning. It ends with the three stonkingest tracks from LIS. I love this performance, and it works so well as a whole.

I’ve been pursuing Maria boots recently. The ones I’ve got span her career. I can up some more if there’s interest.

This one’s not a boot, but a French disc of live sessions that are broadcast on the radio station, France Inter, on the C’est Lenoir show. The case is numbered, so I guess it’s limited and now not in circulation, except via Ebay.

The Black sessions. No. 88.
6th February 1996, Paris.

1. This Perfect Dress
2. Magdeleine
3. I’m Not Listening
4. Everybody
5. Breathe
6. I’m Awake
7. If You Were Still Around
8. Absolutely Barking Stars
9. Scarlover
10. Life is Sweet

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s3m6z8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: