Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Icky Thump

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Icky Thump If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Fuck.

Their best yet.

Flippin' extraordinary.
"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
Compost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You're not wrong. In fact, you may be right.

I've been listening the shit of that album and really enjoy about 90% of the material (not a fan of 'You Don't Know What Love Is' - too country and radio-friendly). It just rocks outright. No pretence.
Beckner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I seem to have located this on my HD. I'm giving it a first listen right now.
Compost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

And the verdict is...?
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Amazing. Not as good as the last one.
Compost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I dunno man...I like "Get Behind..." an awful lot and I think, as you have said before, it is the most structurally and conceptually tight of their albums, but "Icky Thump" gives me some serious R&R wood. There's nary a song I don't dig, hard. I'm calling it a draw.

Anyway you slice it though, they're getting better all the time.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definitely in the Top Four for me, with the first two and GBMS. Parts of it are just searing.
Have you heard the Q Festival show from a few weeks ago that's making the round? That's almost ridiculously intense. As a live band, they're really at their best now.
Compost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I have not heard this. Would like to.

They are an amazing live band - shivered my timbers they did. "Blackpool Lights" once seemed impossibly great, but now it's an authentic document of a powerful and genuine band.

Last edited by Compost on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

And Blackpool Lights is an off night, comparatively!
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://nargothebortsdeviantsubculture.blogspot.com/2007/06/white-stripes-061407-wireless-festival.html

Here's the show I was mentioning. Mind-melting.
Ebb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Compost wrote:
"Icky Thump" gives me some serious R&R wood. There's nary a song I don't dig, hard. I'm calling it a draw.

Anyway you slice it though, they're getting better all the time.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly. I prefer the style of White Blood Cells and Elephant, and dig this album more than Get Behind Me Satan. But GBMS's always growing on me.

Rag & Bone...So fucking awesome. The "yeah-yeah-yeah's" at the end... Shocked
IanWagner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, Rag and Bone just may be the defining White Stripes song.
Compost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
http://nargothebortsdeviantsubculture.blogspot.com/2007/06/white-stripes-061407-wireless-festival.html

Here's the show I was mentioning. Mind-melting.

Ta! I'll give this a listen in the morrow.
Compost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Fuck me. That's awesome shit! Matinee et al grab this if you haven't already.

Thanks again, Mr. Wagner!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: