Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Hoffman board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whyzacre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Hoffman board If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

What gives with the moderators over on the Hoffman forum?

I see after a measley 35+ posts, that the Hoffman Forum conversations are steered in the direction they want the discussions to go.
I mentioned the word dork in reference to myself and was chastized by a stiff-armed, protector of good taste and high morals. Ack.
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I never go to the Hoffman board unless someone here links there. There's a lot of stuff discussed there that I'm interested in, but the overall atmosphere is a bit... stifled.
hrtshpdbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

What the heck is the "Hoffman board", and does that picture imply that they invoke Godwin's Law extra hastily?

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. - Potter Stewart
Joel5000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The Hoffman Board is the message board where people that prefer sound over music hang out. Its also apparently required that whenever you discuss an album, you must either proclaim the superiority of the Steve Hoffman "flat transfer" reissue, or else lament the absence of a Steve Hoffman "flat transfer" reissue. Evidently EQ is the enemy.
hrtshpdbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
The Hoffman Board is the message board where people that prefer sound over music hang out.

Wow, that is so over my head; I'm just gonna stick with this board and
the Leprechaun Watch webcam, thank you very much!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. - Potter Stewart
Joel5000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I enjoyed the Google ads on the leprechaun watch website:

Pictures Of Fairys
Find Pictures Of Fairys Here. Search for Pictures Of Fairys.
AllFairyPicture.info

The Hoffman board can be useful. How else would I have known that the original German cd pressing of Moondance had the best sound?

Last edited by Joel5000 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
halleluwah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:

Pictures Of Fairys
AllFairyPicture.info
Somebody could just save time and look at your avatar....

Very Happy
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
The Hoffman Board is the message board where people that prefer sound over music hang out. Its also apparently required that whenever you discuss an album, you must either proclaim the superiority of the Steve Hoffman "flat transfer" reissue, or else lament the absence of a Steve Hoffman "flat transfer" reissue. Evidently EQ is the enemy.

That's pretty much my definition of hell. The 'hi-fi club' grown up. Rolling Eyes

I'd rather discuss the music. Very Happy
hrtshpdbox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah wrote:
Joel5000 wrote:

Pictures Of Fairys
AllFairyPicture.info
Somebody could just save time and look at your avatar....

Very Happy

Laughing
Purchasing a lawn leprechaun to place in a web-cam shot: 10 bucks.
Jason and Joel's repartee: Priceless.

Mark A. Moore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jan & Dean are hoppin' on the Hoffman board right now . . .

And J&D's catalog is so diverse . . . with mono vs. stereo . . . sound effects here, but missing there . . . it's cool to get an audiophile perspective on it.

Plus, I can blow their minds with context. That's my job.

Hoffman is a J&D fan . . . and subscribes to the Mono Doctrine of J&D . . . which makes him cool on a J&D level.

That's one massive music forum . . . in terms of numbers.

Seriously . . . some very cool people there. Through the back door, I got a burned copy (for reference) of one of the old legit reel-to-reel J&D Liberty releases (4-track stereo tape) . . . issued by Music Tapes, Inc. in the '60s.

M.

Jan Berry / Jan & Dean Tribute
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Joel5000 wrote:
The Hoffman Board is the message board where people that prefer sound over music hang out.

Wow, that is so over my head; I'm just gonna stick with this board and
the Leprechaun Watch webcam, thank you very much!

Then there is this classic...

http://www.subservientchicken.com/
whyzacre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Someone was talking about the EQ'ing of the Monkee Delux sets, and finally after a load of people chimed in, one of the Hitler-Youth mods chimed in and asked them to change the subject and not talk about it again. Isn't that the idea behind a internet discussion group and music forum?? To discuss. No one was out of line. Forced politeness abound. Fukkin' sterile, bro.
Sieg heil!
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yup--religion, politics, and EQ'ing Monkees records. All topics guaranteed to cause problems on a message board.
koeeoaddi there

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

tis a good site to find out what releases actually exist for any given band and which ones are worth avoiding. nobody can deny that some releases just sound like shit.

and to be fair there's barely any sniping at each other compared to other forums. i think its just cos they have "music insiders" there that they have to be strict.

and anyways, tony visconti was posting there a while back so cant be all bad!
AGD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

koeeoaddi there wrote:

and anyways, tony visconti was posting there a while back so cant be all bad!

Anyone who slept with Mary Hopkin is OK in my book. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: