Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Highway bridge collapsed in Minneapolis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Highway bridge collapsed in Minneapolis If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

A part of Interstate highway 35W that goes over the Mississippi River as a single-span bridge in Minneapolis (near downtown and the U of MN) has collapsed. It looks like an earthquake hit. It looks terrible--I'm so glad to be at home. I've traveled that bridge hundreds, if not thousands, of times.

There is not yet any report on injuries or fatalities, but there clearly are some. Cars are in the river, trucks are on fire.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm glad you're safe, Luther, and i hope that no one you know is involved in the disaster. My heart goes out to Minneapolis...
alan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Looks very serious but possibly a small number of deaths rather than the numbers one might expect. Lets hope it stays that way...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6927113.stm
luther

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Amazingly few: most reports are saying 1-3 confirmed so far. I can barely imagine how it could be so low (although the head of one local hospital said drowning casualties are yet unreported and on-site), considering the damage. But I am certainly thankful it is so few.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Artie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

luther wrote:
Amazingly few: most reports are saying 1-3 confirmed so far. I can barely imagine how it could be so low (although the head of one local hospital said drowning casualties are yet unreported and on-site), considering the damage. But I am certainly thankful it is so few.

It's up to 6 confirmed dead. What sucks is there are likely a fair amount of people trapped in their cars in the river. This is not going to be a good night for Minneapolis. My prayers are with them for sure.
Pibroch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Guy on a forum I help moderate lives there and got these pics:

Just wow. I can't say much else, except that I'm so glad we've already done our VA Beach trip. We crossed the highest bridge span on the US highway system on that journey, and I have a fear of heights. I can't imagine how much more antsy I would have been knowing this just happened.

I mean, these things are huge and solid and used every day. You just don't expect something like this to happen, but when it does, it shakes your very foundation. At least it does for me.
luther

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, those are the sorts of things I've been seeing for the past few hours. Some of the video and pictures are just terrible.

Checking in with friends to make sure they weren't among the unlucky is really terrible. Even knowing the odds that I'd know anyone there are absurdly small, it's still nerve-wracking.

- Frank Zappa
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Those are amazing - if somewhat large - pictures, pibroch. Please thank your Minneapolis contact for sharing them; they're better than what i've seen on the news sites.

I have thought about bridge collapses on occasion ever since the Northridge earthquake in the late '80s, when the SF Bay Bridge collapsed. I try not to think about it when i'm on one of the suckers, tho...
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've got my fingers crossed for you and your friends, Luther. I remember how we felt after 9-11, when so many friends and family members lived or worked in Manhattan...until you hear from everyone, you just don't know.
Pibroch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about the size.
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No problem here. It just takes them a while to load in for us poor saps on dial-up.
luther

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

"[Timberwolves] owner Glen Taylor, his voice cracking, sent home reporters gathered for the introduction of four new players obtained in Tuesday's blockbuster trade that sent Kevin Garnett to the Boston Celtics.

"He said his granddaughter was traveling the freeway when the bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River.

"'She was going over the bridge, but she called,' Taylor said, his voice breaking off."

- Minneapolis Star Tribune

- Frank Zappa
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah...time enough later to do that. Right now you need to find your family and make sure they're okay. The tragedies that are playing out all over that city right now are unthinkable.
DavidLeeRoth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm really glad you're alright man. It scares me that we're looking left and right for terrorists and no one's looking to see if our bridges are safe. That's also such a sad story about the T-Wolves owner as NBA fan that break my heart. The guy should be rejoicing after a great trade and tragedy strikes.

DLR
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

On Diablo's blog, she says Jon drove over the bridge an hour before it collapsed. Jon, wherever you are, glad ur safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: