Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Hank Williams - Mother's Best Flour radio shows
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Hank Williams - Mother's Best Flour radio shows If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Does this sound interesting to anyone?

Quote:
Perhaps the most well known, most sought after and most "supposed to be released very soon" collection in the Hank Williams catalouge are the Mother's Best radio shows. This collection of radio shows is considered by many to be Hank's best work and were done at the peak of his career in 1951.

The show was broadcast live between 7:15 and 7:30 a.m. on WSM out of Nashville, Tennessee. Some of the shows were pre-recorded to be played on the air when Hank was out on the road. Hank was paid $100 a week for recording the shows that usually consisted of one country song, one instrumental and a gospel song to close the show, but that's not all they have to offer.

The Mother's Best Shows capture Hank's personality better than anything else known to exist and they dont paint the picture of a sad, lonesome, forlorn man hell bent on drinking and death as many books and other publications try to portray him as. In fact, it is probably the in-between song chatter that makes these recordings so great, you get a glimpse of what Hank Williams was like as a person.

I have (i think) all 72 shows spread across 15 discs and i'm just listening to the first one now. It's my first experience of Hank Williams and i'm loving it! The sound is a bit crackly but that's soon ignored. It seems that the complete shows are here including between song chatter, theme songs and commercials. It really transports you to a different time and place.

I'll start uploading the first disc now so you can get an idea of what this stuff is like. They all need a bit of retagging, but i'm happy to start putting them up a disc or two a day. If this sounds like your kind of thing or if you just fancy grabbing a few to see what they're like, please post so i'll know whether to carry on.

Leo K

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I want to hear these!!!

http://georgannename.blogspot.com/
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

HELL yes.
third coast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yes! Thank you! That description of him sounds like the one Ray Price has painted...of one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet (but who couldn't leave the bottle alone).
alan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Would LOVE to hear these. BIG Hank fan......
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Count me in!
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Sorry, my internet was being ridiculous yesterday. I'll have some of this stuff up for you today, no problem - it's wonderful.
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I've got a real urge to ask my grocer for Mother's Best flour right about now...

Disc 1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n5yjuh

01 - 01 - Theme Song (#01-A1).mp3
01 - 02 - The Blind Child.mp3
01 - 03 - Blue Steel Blues (Instrumental-Don).mp3
01 - 04 - When God Dips His Love In My Heart.mp3
01 - 05 - Theme Song (#01-A2).mp3
01 - 06 - Where The Old Red River Flows.mp3
01 - 07 - Moonlight Waters (Instrumental-Don).mp3
01 - 08 - How Can You Refuse Him Now.mp3
01 - 09 - Theme Song (#01-B1).mp3
01 - 10 - Moanin' The Blues.mp3
01 - 11 - Honky Tonkin' (Audrey Williams).mp3
01 - 12 - I'll Have A New Body (I'll Have A New Life).mp3
01 - 13 - Theme Song (#01-B2).mp3
01 - 14 - The Alabama Waltz.mp3
01 - 15 - Fire On The Mountain (Instrumental-Jerry).mp3
01 - 16 - Lord, Build Me A Cabin (In The Corner Of Gloryland).mp3
01 - 17 - Theme Song (#02-A1).mp3
01 - 18 - Nobody's Lonesome For Me.mp3
01 - 19 - Twin Guitar Polka (Instrumental-Sammy & Don).mp3
01 - 20 - Gathering Flowers For The Master's Bouquet.mp3
01 - 21 - Eighth Of January (Instrumental-Jerry).mp3

I'll upload the covers at the end.

I'm addicted to these now.
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Disc 2

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hntsk8

02 - 01 - Theme Song (#02-A2).mp3
02 - 02 - Mansion On The Hill.mp3
02 - 03 - I Like That Kind (Audrey Williams).mp3
02 - 04 - How Can You Refuse Him Now (Audrey Williams).mp3
02 - 05 - Theme Song (#02-B2).mp3
02 - 06 - Everything's Ok.mp3
02 - 07 - Why Should I Cry (Audrey Williams).mp3
02 - 08 - I Heard My Mother Praying For Me (With Audrey Williams).mp3
02 - 09 - Theme Song (#02-B2).mp3
02 - 10 - Nobody's Lonesome For Me.mp3
02 - 11 - Tight-Wad Daddy (Audrey Williams).mp3
02 - 12 - I'll Have A New Body (I'll Have A New Life).mp3
02 - 13 - Theme Song (#03-A1).mp3
02 - 14 - Move It On Over.mp3
02 - 15 - I'm Satisfied With Life (Don't Worry Me) (Audrey Williams).mp3
02 - 16 - I Saw The Light.mp3
02 - 17 - Theme Song (#03-A2).mp3
02 - 18 - The Seaman's Blues.mp3
02 - 19 - Blues In My Mind (Audrey Williams).mp3
02 - 20 - Something Got A Hold On Me (With Audrey Williams).mp3

EDIT - i can upload the Complete Hank Williams set once this is done if anyone needs it..
Evenreven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

This is amazing, man. Thanks a lot!
I love your avatar too. Hypnotic.
mozelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I had downloaded some of these recordings off a blog ,sometime back ,but someone had edited all the chit chat and talk out of the radio show. That's some of the best stuff from a historical stand point ...thank you Very Happy

kirt
halleluwah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm really loooking forward to listening to this. It's amazing so many of these shows still remain intact like this more than 55 years after they were broadcast. Do you know how these tapes were saved, Moog? Were they just archived by the station, or did Hank keep them, or did some fan tape them off or something?

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
Pibroch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thank you very much for these. I love Hank Sr.
seymour

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

This is so great. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

mozelly wrote:
someone had edited all the chit chat and talk out of the radio show.

The fools!

Jason - i managed to find this:

http://www.bobshannon.com/specials/hank.html

Quote:
HANK'S LOST SONGS ARE A-COMIN'

09/10/03

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)- A Nashville court has freed for release 150 "lost songs" recorded by country star Hank Williams. The catalog was ruled to be the exclusive property of the singer's heirs - son Hank Williams Jr. and daughter Jett Williams.

Since the late 1980s, Jett Williams has had transcription discs of pre-produced segments that Williams recorded in 1951 for "Mother's Best Flour Show," a 15-minute show that once aired on WSM-AM 650.Hank on the air at WSM

The discs contain live versions of some of his greatest hits, plus 40 songs that were never commercially released, such as "On Top of Old Smokey" and "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain."

There's enough material for four new original Hank Williams albums, said Keith Adkinson, Jett Williams' husband and the lawyer who filed the lawsuit.

"It's like Hank came back and visited us on his 80th and presented us with a whole new fruit basket of wonderful things," Adkinson told The Tennessean newspaper Thursday.

Through publicist Kirt Webster, Hank Williams Jr. said of the resolution, "It worked out the way Daddy would've wanted."

Hank Williams would have celebrated his 80th birthday on Sept. 17. He was found dead in the back seat of his Cadillac on New Year's Day 1953. The official cause of death was heart failure.

Over the years, Jett Williams has been approached by companies that wanted to market the recordings, Adkinson said. But they have been in a legal tangle since late 1997, when she filed an injunction against Legacy Entertainment Group LLC and its two principals.

Adkinson said Legacy was telemarketing an adulterated version of the recordings that they got from Williams' former bassist, Hillous Butrum. Hank Williams Jr. also was a plaintiff to that lawsuit.

Chancery Court Judge Irvin Kilcrease granted a motion Friday for summary judgment finding that the two heirs own the property and that only they can release it.

Kevin Norwood, president of Legacy Entertainment and a Nashville lawyer, said Wednesday, "We disagree with the decision and we do intend to appeal."

Not sure how they made their way onto the internet though. I got them from a torrent on Oink a few months ago, but it's not there any more.

I'm really glad everyone's enjoying them - they've already become firm favourites of mine. At least one more to come today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: