Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Green Day Thread

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchell!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Green Day Thread If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

For a few years in high school, I lived this band. I collected singles, LPs, 45s, anything and everything I could get that had something 'new' on it, be they live tracks, b-sides, or whatever else. I kind of stopped after Shenanigans, although I did get American Idiot and one of the singles, I haven't been buying their online stuff, nor the contributions to various compilations. I haven't even heard the John Lennon cover, and I've only casually heard The Saints Are Coming, so I won't comment on those.

As for the band and its music, I mostly prefer their early stuff, with Kerplunk! being my favourite album. I don't dislike any of their albums, though. For some reason, no matter how samey some of it might be, I always enjoy it.

Anyway, I was thinking that I had a couple things I could share if people are interested.

First up will be a pair of Westwood One radio shows from 1994. These include Live in Barcelona and Live at the BBC. The Barcelona show I really like, although it is censored for the radio, and the BBC tracks include interesting anecdotes alongside studio versions of Basket Case, When I Come Around, She and my personal favourite version of 2000 Light Years Away. I made this CD from the Westwood One CDs back in 2000 using some wave editor to break up the tracks, as they were just split into chunks for broadcast. I think a couple of the breaks in the concert are off, but that's ok. I'll up it tonight and post it tomorrow.

Tracklist:
Welcome To Paradise
One Of My Lies
Chump
Longview
Burnout
Only Of You
When I Come Around
2000 Light Years Away
Going to Pasalacqua
Basket Case
Christie Road
Disappearing Boy
When I Come Around (BBC)
Basket Case (BBC)
She (BBC)
2000 Light Years Away (BBC)
Jason Penick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks, can't wait to check that out Mitchell! I've got some assorted b-sides and rarities I can add. (Stuff like "Governator" and "Favorite Son")

My favorite album will always be Dookie, but I thought American Idiot was a nice surprise from those guys.

International Superhits is one of the best Greatest Hits albums of all time, IMO.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Despite the "demagogy" behind American Idiot, I admire the ambition. Also saw them live in Dublin a coupla years back and was really impressed by their energy. BJ is clearly an excellent showman.

What I really like about them is that they explicitly display both their 60's influences and their "classic" punk influences (CLash, Ramones, SLF).

So, Michou, I would really like to hear this show.
The Grand Fromage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Wake me up when September ends...
koeeoaddi there

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

i wouldnt say i'm a Green Day fan, but they have got some cracking singles.
they know how to write a good pop tune.
hope chest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

my band in high school played with them for foreign foods day. those guys have always been total class. my faves are the early singles / "1001 slappy hours". sooooooo many memories of berkeley square & gilman shows, screen printing crappy shirts, smoking pounds of weed at the tracks on christie road...hell, i even sold 'em their baby furniture! Very Happy

their success is 100% deserved. i've never seen a band that worked harder.
DavidLeeRoth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think I may be the only person who thought Warning was a great album.

DLR
mitchell!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That's really cool, Hope Chest!

I also think Warning is really good. I loved that they were doing stuff like Misery and just having fun playing music.

As I've said, now that they've done their Kinks album (Warning) and their Who album (American Idiot), my next hope is for them to do a Pet Sounds album.

File is uploading, I'll post it when it's done.
Beckner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
my next hope is for them to do a Pet Sounds album.

You don't really want them to go all emo on us, do ya Mitch? Laughing

I used to have Dookie around, as I'm sure most of rocknroll generation have. Great album sure, but I'll stick with weezer.

I did see Green Day back in 1998, post Nimrod, headlining HFStival in Washington DC. Amazing arena rock in place then.

I hate the "Working Class Hero" cover as any self respecting Plastic Ono fan should.
mitchell!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, a lot of Green Day's early songs were about teenage love. They were great at it. I'm talking from an aural standpoint. I'd love to see them bust out a harpsichord. They got halfway there with Last Ride In, which was a great homage to the Endless Summer Theme.

Anyway, here's the live stuff:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q472io

As for what to do next, I have the Radio Daze bootleg (live in studio at WFMU New Jersey) and a lot of b-sides. There are a few I have that aren't on the Shenanigans disc, like the original Good Riddance and the 409 In Your Coffeemaker (Unmixed) from the Basket Case single. I have all of the live b-sides from the Dookie/Insomniac era, but I don't think they're on my computer. I do have the live EPs Bowling Bowling Bowling Parking Parking, Foot in Mouth and Tune In Tokyo, though.

If I get my computer rigged to record records, I can post the Warning b-sides like the original Maria and Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely.

If anyone has the 2000 Light Years Away remix from The Jerkey Boys, I'd love to hear that.
hope chest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

the fact that they covered "don't want to know if you are lonely" alone makes them cool as fuck.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I dont know if they still do it but they live version of Lulu's Shout is great.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

And Michounet, that Live in Barcelona is awesome just listened. These guys are pure energy.

I once had a conversation with Scott Bennett about Green Day. He said he was with them in a studio, I cant remember where, but he said that they were incredible to watch, as in no shit, and really, really tremendous work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: