Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Gonzalez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

the attorney general of our country (e.g. head legal counsel to the white house and key executive policy maker) is a buddy of the pres from the old school. That's very typical. But nobody wants this guy around except Bush. Even Bush's fellow republicans want this dude fired, because he's shady. But Bush wont fire him because they're boys. It just looks bad. That's all! And in a time when the White House should be thinking about passing the torch. Bush can't be re-elected (as everyone in the WORLD knows, haha! I love that).
Joel5000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

My last comment:

It doesn't just look bad. There are serious constitutional ramifications to the President's actions, and it sets precedents that I really think are bad for the country.
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

It really is a universal problem though. Bush is guilty of favoring his friends, Clinton gave out how many pardons on his last day? And of course Ford/Nixon, and I suspect that in January 09 we will see another flood of pardons including Rove and possibly (by then) Gonzalez. As long as the president has the power to pardon, he can do pretty much as he pleases for his friends, and there is little practically that can be done (since you won't likely impeach a president for something like this, or on the last day of office).
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Fucking impeach Bush and end the war, and quit indicting flunkies and drafting meaningless resolutions and showing me mugshots of jailed celebutantes.
hrtshpdbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Joel5000 wrote:
It doesn't just look bad. There are serious constitutional ramifications to the President's actions, and it sets precedents that I really think are bad for the country.

The President has the right to hire and fire those attorneys for any reason at all; doesn't like their neckties, would rather see his buddies in there, thinks it will help him politically. Not a checks and balances situation int he least. When Clinton fired all but one of the same U.S. Attorneys upon taking office, no one made a fuss - because he was well within his rights. The only constitutional issue involved is the old push-pull fight of executive privelege vs congressional oversight, which goes back for centuries. If it gets to the courts we'll see how it's decided, but it's by no means a slam-dunk for the Dems (in fact, I'd say their case is weak). One thing for sure is that there is no precedent at all for presidential advisors to testify to congress, that is clearly a dog that won't hunt for the Dems no matter how much they hate Rove The only other time Bush has declared executive privelege was early in his tenure, when he refuesd to turn over papers from Clinton's term in office, citing the privelege. Gonzalez is a dope who couldn't read from the phone book without sounding like he's lying, and that plays right into the hands of the Dems, who think Bush is an illegitimate president and who have been hankering to press as many investigations as they can, including bogus ones like this one.
Capt. Bringdown wrote:
Fucking impeach Bush...

You'd need proof of a high crime or misdemeanor AND 17 Republican Senators to vote for it, and neither of those propositions exist.

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. - Potter Stewart
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Capt. Bringdown wrote:
Fucking impeach Bush...

You'd need proof of a high crime or misdemeanor AND 17 Republican Senators to vote for it, and neither of those propositions exist.

Except the illegal war part ...
Joel5000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Joel5000 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No political stuff, pretty please.
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think this thread — but most especially Jerry's comments — should be deleted immediately.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jerry said nothing more inflammatory than anyone else. All politicians are evil basically, none of them have any more going for them than anyone. The Clintons supported the war.
But let's please not go here, not because of censorship, but to keep the peace. Please, asking as a friend of all concerned.
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, I was kidding. Given Jerry's views on censorship and all.

Delete! NOW!!!!!
Joel5000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Not all politicians are evil. Some are badasses. Check out the letter this Cleveland councilman sent to one of his constituents. On city letterhead!!!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0719071cleveland1.html
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Without getting into political differences...

Bush won't fire Gonzales because then he'd have to get a new Attorney General confirmed. The confirmation hearings would be ugly indeed, and getting another Bush loyalist like Gonzo through the Senate ain't gonna happen.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Capt. Bringdown wrote:
Well, I was kidding. Given Jerry's views on censorship and all.

Delete! NOW!!!!!

Oops! Sorry, man.
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Lester Byrd wrote:
Without getting into political differences...

Bush won't fire Gonzales because then he'd have to get a new Attorney General confirmed. The confirmation hearings would be ugly indeed, and getting another Bush loyalist like Gonzo through the Senate ain't gonna happen.

I nominate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: