Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Geek Central 2 (Return of the Killer Fanboys)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Topic Tags 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Geek Central 2 (Return of the Killer Fanboys) If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

OK, the place for all associated Geek talk, so SF, Films, Comics, Games etc returns.

And WHERE IS NICK ANYWAY?!!!!!!!!!! Hope he makes it as it will be quiet in here without him.

EMPIRE this month has an excellent 20 page piece on Blade Runner, the new version is well on the way (though not finished), and as previously reported does contain new footage to eliminate visible gaffs.

Good interviews with many concerned. Ridley Scott now thinks that he put too much in the frame, too much visual information which got in the way of the story. Glad he didn't know better then as it's one of the things I love about it! Both Scott and Ford admit to bust ups on set with each other but have got over that and have a lot of respect for each other now.

There was a fair bit of other stuff there I don't remember, if anyone in the US is interested I'll dig it out and post anything else of interest.

The new package with all versions will be a limited edition though.
Beckner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Okay, so tonight I watched back to back "Alien" and "Aliens."

Apparently I did not get out much in the Eighties. But Damn.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Ridley Scott, great. James Cameron, not so much.
Beckner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:

Agreed, but both films have their place. Loved the minimalist fear of "Alien" and the Mother Vs. Mother ending of "Aliens."
halleluwah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Word. Alien is a great, unique movie with a totally compelling vibe to it, and I think Goldsmith's music is amazing.

About Aliens...well, I once heard somebody say that if you replaced the aliens with Russians, you'd basically have a Rambo movie. I think that about nails it.
Beckner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

You wouldn't have "First Blood" though. Classic in its own right.
halleluwah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
You wouldn't have "First Blood" though. Classic in its own right.
First Blood is a very different movie than the subsequent Rambo movies, though. It's really a commentary on how shittily America treated a lot of its Vietnam vets, much like Springsteen's "Born in the USA." The other movies in the series turned into Reagan's wet dream; a jingoistic American superhero who singlemindedly sought the destruction of 'enemies of freedom.' Those were the movies I was comparing Aliens to. That movie is given the same type of 'sweaty military men killing the 100% evil foes in bulk with machine guns between spouting off inane war movie catch-phrase-driven dialogue' treatment as the later Rambo movies. Plus, Bill Paxton's performance in that is one of the most unintentionally hilarious in cinematic history. Plus, how seriously can you take a movie that features fucking Paul Reiser as the smarmy villain? I liked it when I was a kid, but I don't think it holds up well at all now.
Beckner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, I dunno man. I think it holds up pretty damn well. Bill Paxton plays the character as written. You don't cast fuckin' Chet from Weird Science and expect anything much less. Reiser, I'll give you was a little unconvincing, BUT not everyone can pull off "Dick Jones" from Robocop.

I was way on the edge of my seat at the right times, and that says a lot for a over twenty year old movie with original effects. I BOUGHT it. There really weren't too many black lines. Sure, the Marines were all faceless mooks (c'mon, Dallas?) but that's also the point.

Another thought: I think "Alien" and "Aliens" were probably more influential on the video game industry than even other movies.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
Plus, how seriously can you take a movie that features fucking Paul Reiser as the smarmy villain?

You obviously haven't read the Unareiser's manifestos:

The Great Dictator has also been leading a propaganda campaign against traditional masculinity and good taste since the early 90s. Maybe you've heard of it:

Like Hitler in 33, Reiser has ingratiated himself to the people and wormed his way into the fabric of everyday American life in a manner that cannot possibly be understated. Still don't believe me? Check out the pyramid on a dollar bill and note the subtle use of Paul Reiser's third eye at the top. The pyramid, a classic example of the masses being enslaved for the vanity of the few, with full approval from...Paul Reiser. Think I'm crazy? Well, convincing you is probably a lost cause, you heartless piece of shit. Maybe you'd get it if you had relatives die in the Paulocaust, Halleluwah, but I'm not sure you'd even care then. So think before you speak, k?
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

D, I bow to thee.
alan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think Aliens is a very close second to the first. I love the concept -I saw it when it came out so the opening out of the story to include a whole planet of the things was really effective, and Cameron keeps the excitement going throughout. Its a different type of film to the first (Haunted House v War film) but a fantastic continuation.

Paul Reiser means nothing in the UK other than the smarmy bastard in Aliens - Mad About You was only shown on satellite telly and it wasn't well known, and I think he is totally believable as a jumped up shit.

I need to watch 3 and 4 again - I'm sure 3 would be better now that I've got over the disappointment of what it wasn't. 4 I liked for the first part of the film then it went seriously wrong.

Even so, having opened the story out in Aliens to show a colony and the effect of an army of them they then missed the chance to really go out and explore their potential. THey took a wrong turn and never recovered.

Oh, and Alien v Predator isn't THAT bad a film, considering. I was expecting the dregs and it was quite entertaining as long as you went in with low expectations.
alan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was going to use this as an avatar but thought Jeff might have problems at work.... Laughing

A rather beautiful forthcoming Catwoman (#70, next month) cover.

Beckner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oh right, I stumbled through Alien 3 and Resurrection two nights ago. Man, those BLOW.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
I was going to use this as an avatar but thought Jeff might have problems at work.... Laughing

A rather beautiful forthcoming Catwoman (#70, next month) cover.

Adam Hughes?
alan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Of course.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: