Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Geek Central 2 (Return of the Killer Fanboys)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Topic Tags 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Just spent most of the last few days watching the final series of Angel on DVD, and wondering just how such a great series managed to a) exist in he first place and b) get cancelled when it was so damn good.

And what a great series to go out on. Watched most of it on TV when it was on but kept the last few until my wife had caught up - which took the best part of two years!

It's the sort of thing that plays far better on DVD though and seeing it all the way through, as its far easier to keep up with various plot threads they introduce throughout that get paid off later.

Also saw a few old Dr Who's and realised why they dropped it - there was a McCoy episode that looked like it was written by fools, acted by hams and made on a budget of about 45p. Awful.
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

If anyone out there interested in comics has missed this then go out and buy it now!

Recently got the Green Lantern Rebirth book which was stunning, and this new Sinestro Corp book which is continued in the GL titles over the next few months is just epic (in a good way!). DC are pulling me back in....

Also got the new Thor which was pretty cool - if a bit big on large panels and small on story. Also slightly confusing for someone like me that hasn't bought an issue of Thor since Walt Simonson was drawing it! Good though.
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Are you reading The Brave and The Bold, Alan? Amazingly good stuff. (Guess you can tell I like it by my avatar.) I just read #5. Loved Batman schooling the Legion.
alan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I am though I have a horrible feeling I have missed #4 somehow....I'll look for it over the weekend, I'm sure I can find it somewhere!

Enjoyed the recent JLA/JSA/Legion team-up as well. Used to love the Legion but its one book I haven't touched since I started buying again last year. May need to give it a try. Shocked to see at least all the characters look pretty much the same as last time I saw them about 18 years ago!
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

alan wrote:
Enjoyed the recent JLA/JSA/Legion team-up as well.

Didn't know about that one--I'll have to check it out.

alan wrote:
Used to love the Legion but its one book I haven't touched since I started buying again last year. May need to give it a try. Shocked to see at least all the characters look pretty much the same as last time I saw them about 18 years ago!

I enjoy the new Legion quite a bit. Actually what I've discovered is that I like pretty much anything Mark Waid writes. He seems to appeal to old Silver Agers like myself. I love Supergirl in B&B and the Legion (both written by Waid), but her own book is really awful.

I recently learned that most of the classic Legionnaires were created by Jerry Siegel!
Tuxedo Kiddd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

50 Greatest -- and mostly predictable -- Comic Deaths (according to Wizard):

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/005216359.cfm
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Tuxedo Kiddd wrote:

Cool list. A few additions, though. If you have Rorschach, you have to have The Comedian. And how about Captain America's sidekick Bucky, the first (and one of the few) superheroes to die and stay dead. I'd also add Jim Corrigan (the Spectre).

And I'm shocked that the "death" of Superman was #1. Come on now, was there anyone in the universe who actually thought that Supes would stay dead? And then to follow it up with that ridiculous Reign of the Supermen claptrap. Gee, who do you think the "new" Superman will be? Could it be... Kal-El? Obviously it sold comics, but for me that whole episode tops the list of dumbest comics gimmicks ever.
alan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That (the death of Superman) was the point that I bailed out. DC had just done the death of Robin and i wasn't enjoying very many comics at the time, so I dropped them all other than Sandman, which i continued buying till it ended.

I have to say the quality now is way above what it was back in 1991 or so. Unfortunately so are the prices!
alan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Lester Byrd wrote:
Tuxedo Kiddd wrote:

Cool list. A few additions, though. If you have Rorschach, you have to have The Comedian. And how about Captain America's sidekick Bucky, the first (and one of the few) superheroes to die and stay dead. I'd also add Jim Corrigan (the Spectre).

And I'm shocked that the "death" of Superman was #1. Come on now, was there anyone in the universe who actually thought that Supes would stay dead? And then to follow it up with that ridiculous Reign of the Supermen claptrap. Gee, who do you think the "new" Superman will be? Could it be... Kal-El? Obviously it sold comics, but for me that whole episode tops the list of dumbest comics gimmicks ever.

The comic deaths that affected me were the two in Infinite Crisis - Supergirl was a surprise as I'd never liked the character, but I really liked the Barry Allen Flash, particularly as they had got Carmine Infantino drawing his book again. One of the few runs of comics I kept after my second big sell-off!

Bit shocked to see that Karate Kid is dead as he is currently featuring in Countdown and seems to be stuck back in the 21st century, as he was for a while back in the late 70's (then 20th century of course) when he had his own book during the martial arts craze.
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Karate Kid is alive and well in the new (re-booted) Legion.

I'd agree that the "for real" death of Barry Allen is probably the most shocking and affecting death in the comics. Wally West will never be the Flash for me. Crying or Very sad

Gwen Stacy a close second. And what the article says about Jean Grey is spot-on for me as well.
alan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Lester Byrd wrote:
Karate Kid is alive and well in the new (re-booted) Legion.

I'd agree that the "for real" death of Barry Allen is probably the most shocking and affecting death in the comics. Wally West will never be the Flash for me. Crying or Very sad

Gwen Stacy a close second. And what the article says about Jean Grey is spot-on for me as well.

There's a preview of the new 'All-Flash #1' on the DC site which looks good. I bought the first issue of the Bart-Flash comic and thought it was abysmal, so I'm not sad to see they've offed him. Didn't mind Wally but I know what you mean. Barry WAS The Flash, I loved those old 60's Flash stories with the casual courtship of Iris. Interesting moment at the end of the JLA/JSA team-up when they manage to return Wally to reality, Batman looks disappointed as though he was hoping to see someone else instead return...
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever told my dad that Barry Allen had passed away! It's better that he doesn't know, that way he can sleep at night. Big, big Flash fan--as are we--I'm now the proud trustee of his Silver Age Showcase & Flash collection.

Not too sure about the writer(s) of that list, RE Lone Wolf & Cub

Quote:
Fortunately, his infant son is also a skilled sociopath, and immediately avenges him.

doesn't sound like they really understood the damn thing at all. And I thought it was a given that it was the web that broke Gwen's neck?

I tell you though, I didn't know more than half of the deaths on that list so comics must be getting grimmer, heh heh. Seriously though--Cerebus, what the heck? And Colossus died? And Lady Mariko??? That's all pure cheese, with Jason Todd and Supes the cheeziest.

They did miss a few good ones--I agree with you Lester--they should have had Bucky and J. Corrigan/Spectre. I would add the nameless scientist that perishes in the Negative Zone in the classic This Man This Monster ish of FF. And heck, what about when Professor X faked his death to fight off the Zorn (or whatever) invasion? Deadman? Abel from House Of Secrets? Every single issue of Vault of Horror? The Swordsman? Gypsy's family in that great run in JL with Despero vs. John Jonnz.

The ones that affected me as a young reader were both Byrne: Sue and Reed Richard's second child, and Jean Grey. Oh, and Forager/Bug in Starlin's Cosmic Odyssey.

I was sad about Supergirl, I had a crush on Kara. (along with Penny from Plastic Man, Mantis, Starfire, Wondergirl, Wolfsbane, Karma, Moonstar, Betty...)

Anybody remember the awful story in Marvel about Scourge? The crazy loon that was offing all of these second-string villains like The Melter: Pum----SPACK!

I was thinking fondly about the buggering of the Invisible Man just the other day in fact. Right after I read Jurgen's Death Of Superman to punish myself---PUM SPAK!!

(Hey, have they reprinted any of the original C.C. Beck Shazams?)
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rorschach // Jackie Earle Haley
Ozymandias // Matthew Goode
Nite Owl // Patrick Wilson
Dr. Manhattan // Billy Crudup
Silk Spectre // Malin Akerman
Comedian // Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Lester Byrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think there's a good chance that the Watchmen film won't suck. The casting seems pretty good so far. Crossing my fingers.

Just two comments:

1. It's a shame we'll never get to see Terry Gilliam's Watchmen--now that would have been awesome!

2. Thank God in Heaven that Tom Cruise isn't playing Ozymandias. That would have torpedoed the whole film right there for me.

EDIT: Paul Newman would be fantastic as the first Nite Owl. It'll probably never happen, but then again he did play a talking car in Cars, so who knows....
alan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Lester Byrd wrote:
I think there's a good chance that the Watchmen film won't suck. The casting seems pretty good so far. Crossing my fingers.

Just two comments:

1. It's a shame we'll never get to see Terry Gilliam's Watchmen--now that would have been awesome!

2. Thank God in Heaven that Tom Cruise isn't playing Ozymandias. That would have torpedoed the whole film right there for me.

EDIT: Paul Newman would be fantastic as the first Nite Owl. It'll probably never happen, but then again he did play a talking car in Cars, so who knows....

He's retired - just. Unlikely I would have thought now. It's been so long since it came out that I almost don't care what they do with it anymore. I'm not holding out any great hopes. Wonder how they'll mix the pirate story in....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Place For Everything Else! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: