Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Fopp shuts down
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
 Topic Tags 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
koeeoaddi there



Joined: 29 Jun 2007

Posts: 99
Location: over in the old golden land

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Fopp shuts down If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

bugger.
dunno if this'll mean owt to any of you foreigners, but the record shop chain Fopp is shutting down http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6252300.stm
bugger.
though they werent by any means brilliant as they tend to go in for small stores, they did have the odd largish store which was pretty decent - they've only just opened a second store in Bristol that was fairly large.
the thing about Fopp was that over half of its stock went for the dirt cheap price of £5 (the average price of a cd here is about £12 i'd say).
cock-knobs.
but more importantly, given their size and the fact that its kind of a budget shop, you could always get some pretty decent stuff in their shops, old and now, and it was the perfect place to try out some stuff you'd never otherwise because it was so cheap.
again, cock-knobs.
what does that leave me with now? one fucking shitty Virgin shop thats not worth going into. fuckers. plus Virgin has cut its folk section to about the third of the size it was 2 years ago. whats that all about?
once more, cock-knobs.
looks like all my purchases will be over the tinternet now.
_________________
look at that caveman go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Becky



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 155


PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I cannot believe this news! Fopp was by far the best indie record shop over here. I worked in one of the original branches. I wonder if they just couldn't make any money due to low mark-ups?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 98


PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Times are hard for conventional musical retail outlets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247962.stm

I don't know about you but every time I walk into one of these places and look at the racks of CDs, and even the DVDs, there's a feeling of obsolescence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
koeeoaddi there



Joined: 29 Jun 2007

Posts: 99
Location: over in the old golden land

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Becky wrote:
I cannot believe this news! Fopp was by far the best indie record shop over here. I worked in one of the original branches. I wonder if they just couldn't make any money due to low mark-ups?


hmm...interesting question. you'd think if it was just the low prices they'd just put them up, even if by only a couple of quid.
seems odd that they just opened a big bristol branch a couple of months ago when it seems they've apparently been in trouble for a while.
bugger.
i really really honestly cant go into town any more and buy impulse buys cos there's nowhere else to shop!
thats one of life's greatest pleasures.
im really upset! Sad
_________________
look at that caveman go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
koeeoaddi there



Joined: 29 Jun 2007

Posts: 99
Location: over in the old golden land

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Times are hard for conventional musical retail outlets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247962.stm

I don't know about you but every time I walk into one of these places and look at the racks of CDs, and even the DVDs, there's a feeling of obsolescence.


i dunno, i had a mate who worked in virgin and hmv and DVDs and computer games are outselling CDs by a long way (which is why in liverpool, Virgin moved its dvds to the ground floor and bunged its cds on the first floor), but i didnt think DVDs sales were in decline.
i woulda thought maybe Fopp could have at least tried to focus more on DVD sales - that aspect of their stores always felt like a bit of an afterthought to me.
_________________
look at that caveman go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richardsnow



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 32
Location: Nottingham, England

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That's a shame.
it was a great place to pay a fiver for something you'd not heard before.

They still have about 10 of my albums, do you think I'll get them back!
Not likely. Rolling Eyes
_________________
www.richardsnow.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rob



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 98


PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

koeeoaddi there wrote:
Rob wrote:
Times are hard for conventional musical retail outlets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247962.stm

I don't know about you but every time I walk into one of these places and look at the racks of CDs, and even the DVDs, there's a feeling of obsolescence.


i dunno, i had a mate who worked in virgin and hmv and DVDs and computer games are outselling CDs by a long way (which is why in liverpool, Virgin moved its dvds to the ground floor and bunged its cds on the first floor), but i didnt think DVDs sales were in decline.
i woulda thought maybe Fopp could have at least tried to focus more on DVD sales - that aspect of their stores always felt like a bit of an afterthought to me.


I agree that CDs are much more in decline than DVDs but even there I feel that technology is moving so fast that their days are numbered.

Not that I know a great deal about it (I'm completely behind the times with all this stuff personally) - just my feeling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
misterfusty



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 77
Location: Whitley Bay, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That's a real shame. I was hoping that they'd set one up here in Newcastle but I guess that's not going to happen now. The other cheap shop Music Zone (not as good but still good for bargains) has already shut down. When I sometimes go to Edinburgh I always stop by the Fopp for booty.
We have a Virgin shop here and I tell you what, you find it hard to buy cd's in there anymore. Only what's in the charts or in a sale. You used to be able browse the A-Z racks but it's all DVD's and Console games now.
Mind you I will say I hardly ever by CD's in a physical shop anymore purely because it's way cheaper on the net. That's what I don't get about Fopp's demise, they were as cheap or cheaper than buying on the net.
I admit I do download stuff illegally sometimes but anything that I download and really like I get on CD, because I like the to have the artwork in my hand and the superior quality.
Bought downloads just don't cut it for me.
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/misterfusty
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rob



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 98


PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

misterfusty wrote:
That's a real shame. I was hoping that they'd set one up here in Newcastle but I guess that's not going to happen now. The other cheap shop Music Zone (not as good but still good for bargains) has already shut down. When I sometimes go to Edinburgh I always stop by the Fopp for booty.
We have a Virgin shop here and I tell you what, you find it hard to buy cd's in there anymore. Only what's in the charts or in a sale. You used to be able browse the A-Z racks but it's all DVD's and Console games now.
Mind you I will say I hardly ever by CD's in a physical shop anymore purely because it's way cheaper on the net. That's what I don't get about Fopp's demise, they were as cheap or cheaper than buying on the net.
I admit I do download stuff illegally sometimes but anything that I download and really like I get on CD, because I like the to have the artwork in my hand and the superior quality.
Bought downloads just don't cut it for me.


Our Music Zone in Liverpool shut down - and then opened up again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
misterfusty



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 77
Location: Whitley Bay, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
misterfusty wrote:
That's a real shame. I was hoping that they'd set one up here in Newcastle but I guess that's not going to happen now. The other cheap shop Music Zone (not as good but still good for bargains) has already shut down. When I sometimes go to Edinburgh I always stop by the Fopp for booty.
We have a Virgin shop here and I tell you what, you find it hard to buy cd's in there anymore. Only what's in the charts or in a sale. You used to be able browse the A-Z racks but it's all DVD's and Console games now.
Mind you I will say I hardly ever by CD's in a physical shop anymore purely because it's way cheaper on the net. That's what I don't get about Fopp's demise, they were as cheap or cheaper than buying on the net.
I admit I do download stuff illegally sometimes but anything that I download and really like I get on CD, because I like the to have the artwork in my hand and the superior quality.
Bought downloads just don't cut it for me.


Our Music Zone in Liverpool shut down - and then opened up again!


Is it still in St John's shopping centre?
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/misterfusty
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
koeeoaddi there



Joined: 29 Jun 2007

Posts: 99
Location: over in the old golden land

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Rob wrote:


Our Music Zone in Liverpool shut down - and then opened up again!


from the bbc link "There is also speculation that Fopp's purchase of 67 stores from the administrator of music retailer Music Zone had put pressure on the firm's cash flow."

i remember that Music Zone! some scally pushed in front of me in the queue and i was too scared to say anthing for fear of the hoodlum's no doubt violent response Embarassed
_________________
look at that caveman go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeteS



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 40


PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Seems like HMV may be next, or at least will need to restructure in order to survive. As much as i like (legal) downloads and buying cds online, I also like browsing in stores. I was lucjy enough to be in Portland, Oregon recently, a city which seems able to sustain a number of large independent music storss - one way they seem to do this is by having lots of in-store performances by local bands and also by selling second hand discs (something Fopp / HMV / Tower didn't or don't do). I'd be sad to see the total demise of physical stores but it seems to be more or less inevitable...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IndoorFireworkDisplay



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 13
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Dammit.

Gone are the days of visitinginto the Shaftesbury Avenue branch on paydays such as today, spending £100 and coming out with 20 CDs / DVDs then.

The £5 price tag was always an incentive for me too ... Still don't know of any online shops where you can but that cheaply.
_________________
Let's sing from our hearts.


Last edited by IndoorFireworkDisplay on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zelilgirlI1ncenu



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 265
Location: Dublin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

PeteS wrote:
Seems like HMV may be next, or at least will need to restructure in order to survive. As much as i like (legal) downloads and buying cds online, I also like browsing in stores. I was lucjy enough to be in Portland, Oregon recently, a city which seems able to sustain a number of large independent music storss - one way they seem to do this is by having lots of in-store performances by local bands and also by selling second hand discs (something Fopp / HMV / Tower didn't or don't do). I'd be sad to see the total demise of physical stores but it seems to be more or less inevitable...


Is this Pete Simpson?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeteS



Joined: 28 Jun 2007

Posts: 40


PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

yes, it's me

and you are???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


© 2007 Informe.com. Get Your Own Free Portal.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

PurplePearl_C 1.02 Theme was programmed by DEVPPL JavaScript Forum
Images were made by DEVPPL Flash Games