Local Gentry
Music Discussion
FACES

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: FACES If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

ONE OF THE BEST BANDS EVER! NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THEM? WHY? LET'S DISCUSS THEM!
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

The great "Cindy Incidentally" must be a very well done rip-off of "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met" ---not the Another Side version, but the live version (which they must have heard).
trumpet sounds

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

"Glad and Sorry"...greatest song ever?

Thank you kindly
For thinking of me
If I'm not smiling
I'm just thinking

Glad and sorry
Happy or sad
When all is done and spoken
You're up or I'm down

Can you show me a dream
Can you show me one that's better than life
Can you stand it in the cold light of day
Neither can I
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

trumpet sounds wrote:

Thank you kindly
For thinking of me
If I'm not smiling
I'm just thinking

Glad and sorry
Happy or sad
You're up or I'm down

Can you show me a dream
Neither can I

One of my favorite songs. So, so great.

To me, the best Faces album is the 3-disc BBC boot. Their studio stuff is OK, but they were way better live.
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Capt. Bringdown wrote:
trumpet sounds wrote:

Thank you kindly
For thinking of me
If I'm not smiling
I'm just thinking

Glad and sorry
Happy or sad
You're up or I'm down

Can you show me a dream
Neither can I

One of my favorite songs. So, so great.

Well we agree on this anyway!

Yeah, Cindy Incidentally is totally ripped off from Dylan - Stewart would certainly have known it, as would Ronnie Wood from the 'Albert Hall' boots.

Love the Faces. You NEED to get Ooh La La on vinyl for the cover if you don't have it! Laughing

I love Ooh La La - side 2 is almost perfection. Also contains one of the few references to part of the East End of London not far from here - in 'If i'm on the late side' he mentions walking from Maryland to Silvertown - this doesn't refer to the USA, but a walk from a place near Stratford to the Tate & Lyle sugar factory down by the Thames.

Shame they blew up after Lane went. Sad.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'd say their studio stuff is great and their live stuff unbelievable.
Tuxedo Kiddd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

"Five Guys Walk into a Bar" gets more stereo time than any other box I own. And I've probably drank a few swimming pools full of beer while listening to it, too.
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

And you know what I also really miss? The Ronnie Wood Faces guitar sound that disappeared when he joined the Stones - that bright metallic fuzzy gurgle that IS the sound of the Faces, more so than Rod's voice.

I love that sound (and of course on the three great Stewart albums it appears on too...).

And Ronnie Lane's songs. I love Debris more than anything they did, along with his songs on Ooh La La. Wonderful.

There is a wonderful song that appears on the Mahoney's Last Stand soundtrack that the two Ronnies did and that also appeared on Townshend's third Meher Baba album called 'Just For a Moment' that most of you probably won't have heard (apart from Ian i assume! Laughing ). I'll post it later.
Pat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Youtube the Faces, there's really great stuff on there including a rippin Cindy Incidently and an even more rippin Stay With Me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: