Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Elton John
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Elton John If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I grew up with this guy's records, the great ones, so no matter what a fool he's been for thirty years, I still have a lotta love for the guy.
Let's talk his great albums and singles. 1968-1977.
Chad Bixby

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Here's some live Elton John with the tracks recorded at MSG with John Lennon as bonus trax:
http://rapidshare.com/files/34960001/Elton.John._.John.Lennon.-.Live.At.Madison.Square.Garden.28-11-1974.rar
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks man!
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I really wish I had the AIM convo we had about Elton from a few weeks back, Ian. Total Anderle/ Williams style Elton convo.

So yeah, Elton just kinda snuck up on me. I bought "Honky Chateau" and "Madman Across the Water" with a Best Buy gift card around my birthday last fall. And somehow without really being aware, I found myself listening every damn day to HC. Then I ordered "Tumbleweed Connection" and it's like this long lost forgotten classic.

I just don't get the complete lack of Elton ravings here and everywhere else. Sometimes I think the worst thing that happened to Reg was that he made it through the Eighties alive.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep. He's still standing...unfortunately.

I never had a chance to dislike him, my folks had Tumbleweed and Madman on constantly. I think it's really cool that someone could get into him now and get those records on their own merits separate from history. I've been listening to him a lot since our conversation. Very groovy.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, let the grassroots re- appraisal start here and now. Hear me, overweight baby boomer moms with your fanny packs and fading mini vans, I'm taking Elton back for the History of Rock.

I've gotten my friend buying up the LPs on the cheap, and falling in love rightfully too. Keep it up, and he'll be on the "Tumbleweed Connection Tour 2008" before long. Hopefully deflate a few balloons from his Vegas show, if anything.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I should probably post that great Fillmore soundboard that's making the rounds.
Mark A. Moore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nigel Olsen . . . Awesome drummer.

M.

Jan Berry / Jan & Dean Tribute
AGD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I did an unpublished Elton ComGuide some eight years ago (got paid for it, mind !), and the run of albums up to, oh, Blue Moves ranges from stunning to stellar. Thereafter it gets to be very patchy, the nadir being of course Victim Of Love - when the best track on an album is an eight-minute disco remake of "Johnny B. Goode", you KNOW someone's in deep shit. My personal faves - Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection and Madman. Latter day pick would be, oh, Made in England.

Here's a taster:

Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Returning to the musical ground broken by “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me”, and easily that classic’s equal in performance and atmosphere, this US Top Five single accurately recounts one of the darker moments in Elton’s early career, his marital near-miss (with attendant suicide attempt). The “someone” was Long John Baldry (“Sugar Bear”), who successfully talked Elton out of marrying his then-fiancee, a six-footer from Sheffield called Linda, who hated Elton’s (or Reg’s, as he then was) friends, music, everything... and who allegedly beat him up on occasion ! It was after one such episode that Elton put his head in the oven and turned on the gas - but forgot to shut the windows: “it was a very Woody Allen attempt”, he later admitted. Wether it was Baldry’s advice, or a liberal supply of booze, three weeks before the wedding, he decided it was all off, and moved out. Out of such unlikely (if not actually comic) material, Bernie fashioned a moving, thoughtful lyric full of sharp touches to which Elton added a track of great power and , yes, majesty. Strangely, it didn’t quite make the UK Top 20, but has become an absolute standard.

© 1999 Andrew G. Doe/Middlefield Media

Last edited by AGD on Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Can you post some pages here, AGD??
AGD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Iffn your connection can handle it, I'll zap you the whole thing - it's just song descriptions, no additional text as per the BB ComGuide. The plug was pulled before I got that far.

Requests for specific tracks happily fulfilled on this very forum.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, sure can. Thanks man.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Wow, Andrew, this sounds awesome. I'd love to read that! Great taster there.
Giant Hogweed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Didn't know you liked Elton AGD? Someone Saved my life tonight is one of my favourites, sublime from start to finish, quite Brianish as well.
I like a lot of his early stuff, though his voice is not desirable these days, he played one of his cricket ground concerts quite near me last year, I thought the local boozer had cranked up their karaoke! Shocked
Matinee Idyll (129)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Elton's been interviewed for Enough Rope with Andrew Denton tommorow night - Andrew is a fantastic interviewer, when the full video/transcript comes up, I'll post it, but here's a preview:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/video/preview.htm#?vid=PRM0055266enoughrope

Monday July 9
ENOUGH ROPE comes to us from London, where Andrew filmed an exclusive interview with rock's most regal presence, Sir Elton John. Conversation topics include Billy Elliot, love and marriage, homophobia in today's world and stories of royalty.
"...A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: