Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Elton John
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I have never owned or had a copy of anything by Elton. Wierd, eh? Kind of like never having seen Taxi or eaten chili. Maybe I should be curious, but he just doesnt inspire curiousity in me. I find his hits depressingly ordinary. But I'm willing to explore. I just heard his version of Way to Blue and liked it. And I like Rocket Man.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Do you have Empty Sky, Dave?? 11-17-70? Here And There?

I've Been Loving You, Here's To The Next Time, the Friends album, Rock Me When He's Gone, Let Me Be Your Car, Ho Ho Ho and House Of Cards aren't on the Classic Masters.
I think the other tracks are better heard on Rare Masters rather than bonus tracks.

Nope, I haven't heard those yet, and I need to get the s/t and "Rock of the Westies" on CD too. All in good time.

And the "Madman" on Rare Masters is completely remixed and included on "Tumbleweed Connection." The Rare Masters mix sounds like a rough mix.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Summ-a-Briz' wrote:
I have never owned or had a copy of anything by Elton. Wierd, eh? Kind of like never having seen Taxi or eaten chili. Maybe I should be curious, but he just doesnt inspire curiousity in me. I find his hits depressingly ordinary. But I'm willing to explore. I just heard his version of Way to Blue and liked it. And I like Rocket Man.

Yah, me neither until last fall. I implore you to find a cheap copy of "Honky Chateau" on CD (it sells for like 8 bucks in the better shops) or slum it at Goodwill for a LP. If you like "Imagine" "Nilsson Schmilsson" or "Straight Up" it's pretty much a done deal. And these days, I like it more.

Then get "Tumbleweed Connection" and join the new Elton revolution.
Beckner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

gk wrote:
Great thread. I think Gus Dudgeon should get a lot of credit for the greatness of those early records as well. Captain Fantastic in particular is one of my favorite sounding pop records, just brilliant production.

There was a request for Blue Moves. There's some great stuff on this, some real filler too. Everything just feels, I dunno, bloated? Songs run on a couple minutes too long for no discernible reason, that kind of thing.
Tonight is breathtaking, with string arrangement by James Newton Howard. Someone's Final Song has a gorgeous Beach Boys vocal bridge arranged by Bruce Johnston. This is one that feels to me like they coulda jettisoned some filler and made a real solid single LP. I've always felt some choice cuts get kinda lost in the size of the thing. I love it all the same tho, flaws and all.
Blue Moves:
disc 1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/evhpjg

Disc 2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gkwi6y

Thanks SOOO much, man. Might be a bit before I sit down with "Blue Moves" though.
Summ-a-Briz'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beckner wrote:
Summ-a-Briz' wrote:

Yah, me neither until last fall. I implore you to find a cheap copy of "Honky Chateau" on CD (it sells for like 8 bucks in the better shops) or slum it at Goodwill for a LP. If you like "Imagine" "Nilsson Schmilsson" or "Straight Up" it's pretty much a done deal. And these days, I like it more.

Then get "Tumbleweed Connection" and join the new Elton revolution.

Sold, to the man in the velvet brocade jacket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: