Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Elton John
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6d5mgb

Disc 1 of Rare Masters, one of my fave Elton collections. The rare early singles, B-sides, a few unreleased things and the complete Friends soundtrack.
Tuxedo Kiddd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Not to derail this or anything, but I am the only one who believes Sir Elton has the most consistently bad album covers ever?
halleluwah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Tuxedo Kiddd wrote:
Not to derail this or anything, but I am the only one who believes Sir Elton has the most consistently bad album covers ever?
He's had some bad ones, sure, but I like some of his early ones really well, like his self-titled or Tumbleweed Connection.

Now, if you wanna argue that The Moody Blues have had the most consistently awful album covers, I'm not going to put up any argument. And metal bands shouldn't count in this, since it's actually a lot more difficult to find one of their covers that DOESN'T suck than it is to pick out all the horrible ones.

www.myspace.com/thenovaheatband
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Missed this thread on vacation I guess. THanks.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uoprja

Disc 2 of Rare Masters.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6d5mgb

Disc 1 of Rare Masters, one of my fave Elton collections. The rare early singles, B-sides, a few unreleased things and the complete Friends soundtrack.

Is Friends rare? I have my dad's old vinyl copy.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Somewhat rare on vinyl these days. Definitely underlooked.
Beckner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks Ian.

Is anyone familiar enough with the "The Classic Years" reissues to be able to definitively say what is exclusive to "Rare Masters"? It was deleted when the cds were re released in 1995, with some of these songs as bonus tracks.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Do you have Empty Sky, Dave?? 11-17-70? Here And There?

I've Been Loving You, Here's To The Next Time, the Friends album, Rock Me When He's Gone, Let Me Be Your Car, Ho Ho Ho and House Of Cards aren't on the Classic Masters.
I think the other tracks are better heard on Rare Masters rather than bonus tracks.
Tuxedo Kiddd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

halleluwah wrote:
And metal bands shouldn't count in this, since it's actually a lot more difficult to find one of their covers that DOESN'T suck than it is to pick out all the horrible ones.

No kidding.

I'm with ya on the Moody Blues. Yuck.
gk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Great thread. I think Gus Dudgeon should get a lot of credit for the greatness of those early records as well. Captain Fantastic in particular is one of my favorite sounding pop records, just brilliant production.

There was a request for Blue Moves. There's some great stuff on this, some real filler too. Everything just feels, I dunno, bloated? Songs run on a couple minutes too long for no discernible reason, that kind of thing.
Tonight is breathtaking, with string arrangement by James Newton Howard. Someone's Final Song has a gorgeous Beach Boys vocal bridge arranged by Bruce Johnston. This is one that feels to me like they coulda jettisoned some filler and made a real solid single LP. I've always felt some choice cuts get kinda lost in the size of the thing. I love it all the same tho, flaws and all.
Blue Moves:
disc 1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/evhpjg

Disc 2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gkwi6y
seymour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Do you have Empty Sky, Dave?? 11-17-70? Here And There?

I've Been Loving You, Here's To The Next Time, the Friends album, Rock Me When He's Gone, Let Me Be Your Car, Ho Ho Ho and House Of Cards aren't on the Classic Masters.
I think the other tracks are better heard on Rare Masters rather than bonus tracks.

A family friend gave me Empty Sky when I was about four. Then he went to prison for murder. I'm glad he didn't babysit us. First album I bought for myself was Kiss Alive.
trumpet sounds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

true story, I was in seventh grade living in Minnesota. On the weekends I would take public transportation (the bus) downtown to hang around. I was at the age of being obsessed about girls, but was too awkward and nerdy to have much luck. One saturday, coming back home alone on the bus I was looking around the bus, checking everyone out. There was this beautiful young girl with long straight black hair sitting on the back bench of the bus, she looked a few years older than me, and she was with what was obviously her boyfriend, and I'm sitting there thinking to myself, how can I ever be that lucky, to have a beautiful girlfriend like that guy, then the boyfriend hands her a paper bag and she opens it up, and pulls out a Friends soundtrack LP. I've never seen anyone look so happy in all my life. She was all smiles, clutching that bright pink record in front of her the whole rest of the bus ride, and I'm thinking to myself, so that's it, the beautiful girls dig the music, so from that point on I became obsessed listening to any and all music....
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

GREAT stuff there.
seymour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

trumpet sounds wrote:

true story, I was in seventh grade living in Minnesota. On the weekends I would take public transportation (the bus) downtown to hang around. I was at the age of being obsessed about girls, but was too awkward and nerdy to have much luck. One saturday, coming back home alone on the bus I was looking around the bus, checking everyone out. There was this beautiful young girl with long straight black hair sitting on the back bench of the bus, she looked a few years older than me, and she was with what was obviously her boyfriend, and I'm sitting there thinking to myself, how can I ever be that lucky, to have a beautiful girlfriend like that guy, then the boyfriend hands her a paper bag and she opens it up, and pulls out a Friends soundtrack LP. I've never seen anyone look so happy in all my life. She was all smiles, clutching that bright pink record in front of her the whole rest of the bus ride, and I'm thinking to myself, so that's it, the beautiful girls dig the music, so from that point on I became obsessed listening to any and all music....

Your Elton John memory kicks mine in the ass. I was a HUGE Elton John fan. I remember when my stepfather packed us up to move us across the country from Dearborn, Michigan to San Francisco (I was six or seven). I was in the Ryder moving truck with him and an ad came on the radio saying "Elton John is coming to town.....". I started crying, and he slapped me. Jeez, my childhood sounds worse and worse. Another version of the "from that moment on" thing........I would go to my room and listen to the Beatles to get away from him. Music's saved me time and time again, otherwise I would have walked head on into the deep end of the river.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: