Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Elton John
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beckner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm certainly interested!
Beckner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Picked up "Don't Shoot Me..." over the weekend. I'm pretty underwhelmed by it, though. "Captain Fantastic" though, wow.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Nahh, there's some real greats on Don't Shoot Me! Just go nowhere near Caribou.
Beckner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot, I did hear all of "Rock of the Westies." That one is the beginning of the end. I missed Nigel.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I dig Westies. I really think Blue Moves is quite underrated.
Beckner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Actually I was gonna ask if you or anyone had "Blue Moves" to put up sometime, the prices on Amazon for the two disc CD are absurd since it's OOP. (Apparently there is a single disc version short three songs? wtf) My friend picked up the LP set the other day, but that doesn't help me out at work.

Oh, and the "Friends" songs too.

Okay, now I'm being greedy Smile
IanWagner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, I can do dat.
audiomark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I was always impressed by the sheer quantity and quality of stuff Elton put out from '70'-'76 or so. Seemed like a new LP every six months or so and he was touring constantly at that point also.
Beckner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

audiomark wrote:
I was always impressed by the sheer quantity and quality of stuff Elton put out from '70'-'76 or so. Seemed like a new LP every six months or so and he was touring constantly at that point also.

Yeah, he really carried forward with the same momentum the Beatles had ten years previous in terms of productivity and overall quality. It was contractual however.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

He continued making the same amount of albums after the golden period. Therefore the quality is all that is remarkable. And that wasn't in a contract.
Beckner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I place a lot of that on the magic team of Taupin and the EJ band. Coming off of "Captain Fantastic..." "Rock of the Westies" is a complete abortion, and not in the revelatory "Smiley Smile" way. One more record and Taupin was out the door too.

What happened with the band? I noticed he dedicates "Rock of the Westies" to Nigel Olsson and Dee Murray.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yeah, but the EJ band wasn't really the base band on the first five EJ albums, and those are half the golden streak.
I think Westies is cool, his Wild Honey.
JCarson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'm late (as ever) to this discussion but for what it's worth I am also one of those who have rediscovered the greatness of early Elton. There are of course major links between early 70s Elton and early 70s Beach Boys, so AGD's interest makes sense to me (and that unreleased Guide sounds great). I went through this weird time a few years ago when I got heavily into Elton John, the Beach Boys and Nick Drake. All artists I had thought radically different;only later did I discover all sorts of connections. (EJ covered ND; EJ opened for the BBs at some big concerts; musicians from the BB backing group played on some of ND's album tracks for f**ks sake - a fact that I find totally mind-blowing).

My two top Elton tracks: Yellow Brick Road (very BB in places) and My Father's Gun. They raise in me (in certain receptive moods) overwhelming emotion.
Beckner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
EJ opened for the BBs at some big concerts

And vice versa.
audiomark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Of all Elton's classic period stuff I think my favorite,as I've gotten older, is "Tumbleweed Connection". It took a while, years really, for it to grow on me. Much the way I'd kind of overlooked "Rubber Soul" through the years. Now I play it probably more than any other. I guess I mention how high quality and prolific his golden period was because, all the other big stars of that era seemed to be taking one and a half to two years between Lps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: