Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Dylan gets the Mark Ronson treatment

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Dylan gets the Mark Ronson treatment If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article2148145.ece

When Bob Dylan “went electric” he provoked howls of protest. But now the mercurial musician has taken an even more unlikely turn after sanctioning the first hip-hop remix of one of his classic songs.

Dylan has agreed to let Mark Ronson, the dance world’s hottest producer, weave his magic on Most Likely You’ll Go Your Way (And I’ll Go Mine), the bittersweet break-up song from his 1966 album Blonde on Blonde.

After years of rejecting all offers to remix his catalogue, Dylan, 66, has decided that a dancefloor makeover is the best way to introduce his generation-defining work to a new teenage audience.

The London-born Ronson is the DJ hitmaker behind Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen. He recently turned a song by The Smiths into a pop hit.

Ronson’s update of Dylan’s bluesy track is expected to fill dancefloors and top the singles chart. The Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe will give the song its first airing next week.

When Elvis Presley’s estate sanctioned a remix of his A Little Less Conversation in 2002 it became a global No 1 and revitalised interest in “The King”. Dylan’s record company is hoping to prompt a similar revival in his popularity before issuing a retrospective of his work in the autumn.

Mike Smith, managing director of Columbia Records, told The Times: “It is the first time Bob has agreed to anything like this. We want to bring his music to an audience unfamiliar with Dylan in a similar fashion to the Elvis campaign.”

Ronson and Smith were invited to trawl through the entire Dylan catalogue for a suitable track to reinvent. Smith said: “We hit on You’ll Go Your Way because it already has a great rhythmic breakbeat. It’s also got a timeless, universal lyric.

“It’s not such a familiar song that people will cry, ‘Sacrilege’. It will also confound people’s expectations of Bob, which he has done throughout his career.”

When Dylan strapped on an electric guitar in 1966, he was famously called “Judas” by one fan who could not accept the singer’s transition from acoustic troubadour. His sudden swerve into dance music may be the final straw for some.

Smith said: “We hope the fans will see this as an addition to the canon, not a desecration. It’s a new interpretation of Bob’s world and adds to the mystery. We all approached the remix with respect and awe.”

Ronson said: “It’s the first time Bob Dylan has given anyone the original multi-tracks of his songs to do remixes. I’m a huge Dylan fan, so it’s a great honour, along with the fact that he heard it and approved it, because, as you imagine, he’d be quite picky.”

Dylan is enjoying a creative resurgence with Modern Times, his 44th album, topping the US charts. His never-ending tour continues and his puckish radio show, which features classic folk, jazz and blues, has become a BBC Radio 2 hit.

He is not the only rock veteran to succumb to the remix temptation. The Beatles’ Love, the soundtrack to a Las Vegas stage show, comprises elements of their most famous songs stitched together under the direction of Sir George Martin.

But their lawyers were less pleased when the DJ Danger Mouse created The Grey Album by mixing raps from Jay-Z’s Black album with the Beatles’ White Album. The acclaimed results were removed from the public domain.

The Dylan remix will be included on a 51-track, three-CD career retrospective, to be released in October.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

and why not? Should be interesting.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No, I'm very interested to hear it.
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Very Happy

Nah, it sounds like it might be something cool. I just wish these hip young dancing people could appreciate the music in the first place, without artists having to cater to their ecstacy fueled dance needs. Start swiming or sink like a stone, I guess.
misterfusty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

To me this remixing of old songs and slapping a beat on them is no different to Jive Bunny or stars on 45
for those not familiar with the full horror of Jive Bunny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jive_Bunny
DavidLeeRoth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

If Bob wanted to be really brave he'd just write a new album of dance songs. This is like dipping his toe in the water compared to what he did in the 60's.

DLR

Last edited by DavidLeeRoth on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
IanWagner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Mark Ronson is great. Can't wait.
luther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Not normally my thing, but I'll withhold judgment until I hear it. Having heard some of Ronson's other stuff, I'm sure if nothing else, it will be well done. And there's a lot to be said for that regardless of whether it's to my taste.
"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it ... [S]tuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia."

- Frank Zappa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SurferGirl7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I am not weirded out by the idea, but that song I am surprised by. I will be crictical since it is my favorite song on Blonde on Blonde. I just don't hear it with club beats Confused
andy rooney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Standing on da water, casting ya’lls bread
While da peeps o’ da idol wiff da iron head iz glowing
Distant ships sailing into da mist
You waz born wiff uh snake in both o’ ya’lls fists while uh hurricane waz blowing
Freedom just around da corner fo’ ya
But wiff truth so far off, wa’tch pimp-tight will da thang do.

Jokerman get jiggy wit it ta da nightingale tune
Bird fly high by da light o’ da moon
Oh, awww, awww, Jokerman.
slap mah fro!
Chris D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
He recently turned a song by The Smiths into a pop hit.

Huh???
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

SurferGirl7 wrote:
I am not weirded out by the idea, but that song I am surprised by. I will be crictical since it is my favorite song on Blonde on Blonde. I just don't hear it with club beats Confused

Yes, I just can't imagine what it will sound like - which is why I'm intrigued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: