Local Gentry
Music Discussion
CORPORATE ROCK STILL SUCKS! (Solid State Transmitters)

 
 Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jake



Joined: 07 Jul 2007

Posts: 73


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: CORPORATE ROCK STILL SUCKS! (Solid State Transmitters) If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Anybody wanna talk SST bands? Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, Bad Brains, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Descendents, etc.

Truly amazing that so many incredible bands could release albums, all on one record label, during what many people would say is the worst decade in music. Double Nickels On the Dime, What Makes a Man Start Fires?, II, Up On the Sun, Damaged, Metal Circus, Zen Arcade, New Day Rising, I Against I, Evol, Sister, You’re Living All Over Me, Milo Goes to College,... a lot of incredible music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IanWagner



Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 1736


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, possibly my favourite label of all time. More later.
Anyone wanna write some stuff about some albums?
_________________
"Just because I only have one leg doesn't mean I'm a CHUMP, man!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
earcandy



Joined: 01 Jul 2007

Posts: 33


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: CORPORATE ROCK STILL SUCKS! (Solid State Transmitters) If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Anybody wanna talk SST bands? Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, Bad Brains, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Descendents, etc.

Truly amazing that so many incredible bands could release albums, all on one record label, during what many people would say is the worst decade in music. Double Nickels On the Dime, What Makes a Man Start Fires?, II, Up On the Sun, Damaged, Metal Circus, Zen Arcade, New Day Rising, I Against I, Evol, Sister, You’re Living All Over Me, Milo Goes to College,... a lot of incredible music.


YES! Got to see lots of those bands live (back in the day) such as Meat Puppets, Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, & Dinosaur Jr. - my one regret is not being able to see the Minutemen!

This brings me to another question...what exactly is "corporate rock"? I've scanned the net, and yet to find a satisfactory explanation. What comes to mind immediately are bands like Boston, Styx, Foreigner, etc.
_________________
No one I think is in my tree...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jake



Joined: 07 Jul 2007

Posts: 73


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CORPORATE ROCK STILL SUCKS! (Solid State Transmitters) If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

earcandy wrote:

YES! Got to see lots of those bands live (back in the day) such as Meat Puppets, Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, & Dinosaur Jr. - my one regret is not being able to see the Minutemen!

I would love to hear descriptions about these shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jake



Joined: 07 Jul 2007

Posts: 73


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
favourite


"We Carolinan's don't take kindly to you fancy spellin' types."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
earcandy



Joined: 01 Jul 2007

Posts: 33


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CORPORATE ROCK STILL SUCKS! (Solid State Transmitters) If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
earcandy wrote:

YES! Got to see lots of those bands live (back in the day) such as Meat Puppets, Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, & Dinosaur Jr. - my one regret is not being able to see the Minutemen!

I would love to hear descriptions about these shows.


Well, my favorite show had to be Black Flag (with Husker Du coming in a close second-the tour for "Warehouse"). We got to the venue early (an old movie theatre in San Antonio converted into a concert venue-the floor was still sloped!) and Henry Rollins was just walking around. We were gonna approach him and talk to him...but he gave off such weird "vibes" that we were all too scared, ha ha. They were playing the pre-show music, a strange conglomeration of "classic rock" and punk - I can still see Henry dancing and grooving as ZZ Top's "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" came on the system! I forget which album this was the tour for, but Henry had that "Jim Morrison on steroids" look. After the first band played (can't remember the name, but it had the guitarist for Black Flag in it), you could see Henry doing serious warmups just beyond the drum set - like a runner about to do a marathon. He did the show just wearing shorts, so you could see the huge tattoo that adorned his back (I think it was some kind of 'sun ray' tattoo with wording).

At the Meat Puppets & Dinosaur Jr. shows, we got to hang out with the band in front of the venue and drink beer. This was at the Continental Club (still there!) and it was almost "normal procedure" for band to hang out in front of the club.
_________________
No one I think is in my tree...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


© 2007 Informe.com. Get Your Own Free Portal.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

PurplePearl_C 1.02 Theme was programmed by DEVPPL JavaScript Forum
Images were made by DEVPPL Flash Games