Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Ahh, Forget It
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hope chest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

oh fuck me running - this is amazing. Shocked
IanWagner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Isn't it? It's all the ambition, ego and anger of Spector's life aurally melting in the sun.
Susan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

This disc [the double, with Streetheart] arrived while i was away, and i gave it a listen this afternoon.

Based on this one listen, the Spector half seems overblown; the two best songs on the album are the two [Your Own Back Yard and New York City Song, which is stunning] that Phil didn't produce. And i was being just as open-minded as i could be - i WANTED to hear something that PS had done that i thought was good! But the production was still so bombastic that the song and the singing got lost. That's not what i like to listen to.

When Streetheart began, it was like the fog had lifted. Clean sounds, smooth melodies...and even tho the comments i've read here and elsewhere have indicated that this was the lesser of the two albums, for me it was the other way around. On first listen, at least, I enjoyed Streetheart much more than i did Born To Be With You.

So call me a cretin, but there it is.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I need to give Dion more time, but I agree with you Susan. I've been putting of responding to the album so I could give it more time, but so far it hasn't done much for me. I love Spector, and I love Dion, but the album here hasn't done it for me yet. I'm not really sure why, either.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bummer.
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Bummer.

Well, yeah, but not entirely. I will continue to listen, and see if it grows on me, as it has for some who have posted here. But even if it does not, it has helped me to focus on what it is that bothers me about Spector's production: It overwhelms the song and the performers, and i feel that production should support and enhance those things. So it's not a total loss!
;-)
IanWagner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Spector's records are about his production. He's the star. If you don't dig that, there's nothing to like about him. He is the artist.
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Spector's records are about his production. He's the star. If you don't dig that, there's nothing to like about him. He is the artist.

Bingo. I don't like that. I think the song and the performer[s] should be the star.

So at least now i know why i've never liked his work.
Chris D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:
Bummer.

I agree, but thanks again for sharing. I'll let you know if I change my mind.
Fancy Lad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

How can you guys not dig "In and Out of the Shadows"? An amazing piece of music.
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, i've only listened to the disc once. As i said, it may grow on me. And Shadows did sound interesting.

Why the change in thread title, Ian?
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Maybe I'll listen, if you listen to Damien Dempsey Wink
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I thought it was fabulous.
zelilgirlI1ncenu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Beeeeeeg sound. Smile
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think people are befuddled by the album because Dion's non-Spector stuff is so damned good that it upsets the flow of the record. If the Spector cuts were on the Wall of Sound box and in a better context then I think they'd warm to it a little easier. It's a good record, but good Dion records are a dime a dozen, people.

Dion didn't need Spector's help. It was a neat experiement, but it was just a slight detour on Dion's path. Please listen to the rest of Dion's catalog. It's all good. I swear. Begin here and then branch out. Let's put his remastered self titled CD from ACE in the top ten. We can do it. They got the airwaves, but we got the numbers. C'mon.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jaismf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: